NFL 2017: Jared vs. Case Is Why Fisher Will Never Coach Again

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I read this threat about how awful the Gronk incident was before i watched it, what are some of you talking about?  He basically lay on top of someone who was wearing pads and a helmet, have i even seen the same incident???  

Its not that laying on top of somebody that's the problem; its how he got there.  Well after the play was over and the whistles blown, Gronk lined up a shot and then JUMPED onto White and plowed a fore-arm shot to his head.  White was hurt and had to have the concussion protocols.  It was a dirty hit and he deserves the one-game suspension.   

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I read this threat about how awful the Gronk incident was before i watched it, what are some of you talking about?  He basically lay on top of someone who was wearing pads and a helmet, have i even seen the same incident???  

It actually looks worse to me the more I see it. I think he might have just intended to dogpile White, but he landed badly on him and gave him a forearm shiver to the back of the head.

Its gotten to the point for me that I don't want the Steelers and Bengals to ever play each other again. These two teams cannot contain themselves when they play, and it would be better for everyone if the NFL could somehow ban these two teams from ever meeting again. 

The hit on Burfict was terrible, and made even worse by the taunting. The NFL needs to get serious on this issue and suspend Smith-Schuster multiple games. That is the only way this will work. A fine or one game is just not working, they need to make these things mandatory multiple game suspensions. 

The hit on Brown moments later was also terrible. 

I cannot find enjoyment in this match up any longer. Now I just sit in front of my tv and hope no one gets seriously injured when these two teams play. 

ETA: Could we please not use weight as an insult?

9 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Looks like your new to the sport so it's not surprising that you've arrived alongside all the other bleeding hearts that cry at every foul nowadays. Burfict is the walking definition of a dirty player who's maliciously injured multiple Steelers over the years. So yeah, when he gets put on his ass I think he deserves it. 

Thank the good lord for your basic decency, though. Typical white knight on here.

Lol, I was just complaining about over officiating in the very page in which you quote me. 

The only penalties committed by players that I "cry" at are ones that involve stupid bullshit fighting between players, and hits that are against rules that were specifically put in place because those types of hits tend to cause serious, long-lasting injuries to players. If that makes me a "bleeding heart," or whatever, fine, I don't care. I've only seen a few of these kinds of penalties occur since I've started watching football a few years ago, and I watch a game during every Sunday time slot, as well as MNF and TNF. So it's not like these are strikingly frequent occurrences, and consequently their punishment shouldn't detract from the game. 

Also, lol @ complaining about the AB hit but dismissing the Gronk hit as NBD. Guess dirty hits only matter when they're against your own team's players. 

I think there's definitely a difference between laying yourself down onto something, and throwing your body at something. Especially when you're 6'5 and weigh 265 lbs. I haven't had a 265 lb object free fall onto the back of my neck, and I doubt you have either, but I imagine it's not fun. And's definitely dangerous when it hits that area of the body. 

Post-game comments (aside from the litany of dirty hits/blocks from both teams): man, I get how the BS calls from the refs on the Bengals would be demoralizing, but it seems like as a team, they are almost never able to psychologically overcome this sort of adversity in the second half of a game. Just not sure I've ever seen them do it since I started watching; they always fall apart at the end. Must be kinda hard to watch as a fan...

22 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Its gotten to the point for me that I don't want the Steelers and Bengals to ever play each other again. These two teams cannot contain themselves when they play, and it would be better for everyone if the NFL could somehow ban these two teams from ever meeting again. 

The hit on Burfict was terrible, and made even worse by the taunting. The NFL needs to get serious on this issue and suspend Smith-Schuster multiple games. That is the only way this will work. A fine or one game is just not working, they need to make these things mandatory multiple game suspensions. 

I cannot find enjoyment in this match up any longer. Now I just sit in front of my tv and hope no one gets seriously injured when these two teams play. 

Yea, I agree. I would like to see the Bengals switched out of the division with the Colts. I absolutely abhor this match up and everything it does to both of these teams.

Also, I think Iloka should be suspended for the hit on Brown. I know it wasn't with malice (Iloka isn't that kind of guy, he was just trying to dislodge the ball) but it was bad. It deserves a one game suspension.

Yeah this is where I’m at too. I saw two hits in last night’s game that were way dirtier than what Gronk did.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah this is where I’m at too. I saw two hits in last night’s game that were way dirtier than what Gronk did.

Yea, not me. I think it was just as dirty given he chose to do that well after the whistle. I'm of the opinion that you can't dismiss a dirty play because there are other dirty plays.

22 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

ETA: Could we please not use weight as an insult?

They've got to get cheap shots out of the game. Have got to. But this league is so incompetent, they won't. Every other league's ratings + college football are shooting through the roof, yet the NFL is tanking.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

They've got to get cheap shots out of the game. Have got to. But this league is so incompetent, they won't. Every other league's ratings + college football are shooting through the roof, yet the NFL is tanking.

I just don't see how it's possible. How do you stop a hit like Schuster's? How do you stop a bang bang play like Iloka in the back of the end zone? It has gotten to the point where players can be afraid to get called for a penalty so they just let them tip toe the line and score easily. I just don't see how it's possible to remove dirty, bang bang, hits from the game.

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yea, not me. I think it was just as dirty given he chose to do that well after the whistle. I'm of the opinion that you can't dismiss a dirty play because there are other dirty plays.

I’m not dismissing it. I’ve said it was dirty and that he should have been ejected and gotten a 1-2 game ban. I just think people are being hyperbolic when they say it’s one of the dirtiest hits they’ve seen. Some people have even gone so far as to say it’s worse than what Haynesworth did. I think that’s a bit dramatic.

That MNF game was almost unwatchable.  The refs were throwing a bunch of really weak flags for holding and PI.  Both Cincy and Pitt had a long touchdown taken off the board because of very ticky tack plays.  And then both teams start getting angry, and there's a torrent of cheap shots, which nobody wants to see.  Smith-Schuster absolutely should have been ejected for that hit + taunting afterwards. 

That game was just a bad product for the NFL.  I have no idea why they'd want to put Bengals-Steelers on prime time.  The announcers were even highlighting the long history of dirty hits and injuries that have happened in this rivalry.  Really not a good look. 

7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It has gotten to the point where players can be afraid to get called for a penalty so they just let them tip toe the line and score easily.

This happened last night on Bell's touchdown. The Bengals player had a shot at Bell but eased up assuming he was stepping out of bounds, or at least it appeared like that to me

This game followed the normal Bengals script.

1. Bengals come out hot and look great and everyone says "who are these Bengals?"

2. Bengals give up points just before halftime in a terrible, unforgivable way.

3. Bengals have the ball coming out of halftime, with a big lead and go 3 and out

4. Bengals hurt themselves with penalty after penalty, real or imagined

5. Bengals offense has under 100 yards, Bengals defense cannot get off the field

6. Bengals give up 10+ pts to lose on a last minute FG after some terrible clock management from Lewis

This script has happened countless times. I cannot wait for a completely new coaching staff. It doesn't matter who the players are, it still keeps happening.

As an aside, William Jackson is phenomenal, even with him not pushing Bell out of bounds because of fear of a penalty. Great corner who should have been shadowing Brown. The negligence of the defensive coaching staff to allow Brown (and Bryant given the PIs) to continually abuse Kirkpatrick is fireable.

4 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

This happened last night on Bell's touchdown. The Bengals player had a shot at Bell but eased up assuming he was stepping out of bounds, or at least it appeared like that to me

That's what I was making reference to. They thought he was out of bounds and given the amount of penalties being thrown against them, they thought they would have tacked on a 15 yarder to the play. They were scared.

My point is, I don't see how you can take these hits out of the game when you have big, fast, strong players wearing pads and helmets.

5 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I do think that the refs should be giving some leeway on possibly late, but not at all rough hits.  Wrapping up or giving a quick shove (without putting your whole body into it) are almost never going to result in injuries, and serve no function in terms of intimidation.  So if a defender does either of those things near the sideline, it shouldn't matter if the guy is about to step out of bounds.  Too often the offensive player makes a beeline for the boundary, and then plants right when he gets there to cut upfield.  The defense cannot read minds.

14 minutes ago, Mexal said:

That's what I was making reference to. They thought he was out of bounds and given the amount of penalties being thrown against them, they thought they would have tacked on a 15 yarder to the play. They were scared.

My point is, I don't see how you can take these hits out of the game when you have big, fast, strong players wearing pads and helmets.

Yeah I don't think you can take them completely out of the game either. Well I do see how but that would fundamentally change the game. 

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I do think that the refs should be giving some leeway on possibly late, but not at all rough hits.  Wrapping up or giving a quick shove (without putting your whole body into it) are almost never going to result in injuries, and serve no function in terms of intimidation.  So if a defender does either of those things near the sideline, it shouldn't matter if the guy is about to step out of bounds.  Too often the offensive player makes a beeline for the boundary, and then plants right when he gets there to cut upfield.  The defense cannot read minds.

I think sideline plays deserve some leeway as well. If a guy tackles you ten yards out of bounds, I'm fine with penalizing that. However if the hit occurs and the players are still in the white, the refs should swallow their whistles. 

35 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yea, I agree. I would like to see the Bengals switched out of the division with the Colts. I absolutely abhor this match up and everything it does to both of these teams.

Also, I think Iloka should be suspended for the hit on Brown. I know it wasn't with malice (Iloka isn't that kind of guy, he was just trying to dislodge the ball) but it was bad. It deserves a one game suspension.

GET FUCKED, MEX! :stillsick: You wanna put my poor Andy in a division with those animals! The worst part about it is that this is a pretty sellable idea from where I sit. I was trying to think of a better switch the league could make and I actually couldn't. I'm pretty sure Cincy is technically further north than Indy, but it would make a lot more sense for them to be in the AFC South than the Colts.

But! And maybe they thought about this when they changed the division format in 2002, but all the teams in the AFC South are warm weather teams. Indy has a dome, the Texans have a dome, and the reason Tennessee votes Republican is because they all have heat stroke.

Say what you will about dome teams vs outdoor teams (they're pussies), but it would feel weird for the traditionally 'tough' AFC North to have the Colts in the division. You think the Browns are punching bags? The Browns have developed a certain little-brother toughness in their Winter Wasteland, constantly abused by the others in the division.

If the Colts were put in the AFC North, I guarantee you there would be more than half of the original 53 man roster on IR by week 10.

Meanwhile, the Bengals would probably thrive in the South. Talk about toughness, none of those pushovers would enjoy Cincy on a yearly basis.

29 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I just don't see how it's possible. How do you stop a hit like Schuster's? How do you stop a bang bang play like Iloka in the back of the end zone? It has gotten to the point where players can be afraid to get called for a penalty so they just let them tip toe the line and score easily. I just don't see how it's possible to remove dirty, bang bang, hits from the game.

16 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I think that for the Steelers and Bengals the league has to make it clear to them that the shit won't be tolerated anymore. Start throwing people out. If Vontez Burfict won't stop talking shit to everybody tell him he's gonna get thrown out. And then throw his ass out.

If the league had an ounce of competency they would teach the refs how to apply rational fucking thought. When the line between great competition is crossed into danger, it seems clear to everyone but the fucking refs.

The league could also look into partial-game suspensions. In game, I mean. If Vontez Burfict is getting out of hand but hasn't done anything grossly egregious, why can't the ref toss him for fifteen minutes of game time?

16 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

The league could also look into partial-game suspensions. In game, I mean. If Vontez Burfict is getting out of hand but hasn't done anything grossly egregious, why can't the ref toss him for fifteen minutes of game time?

I heard an interesting idea a few weeks back. Basketball and football should look into penalty boxes. For example, a flagrant foul in basketball means you have to play 4v5 for two minutes, and in football a personal foul means you play 10v11 for a drive or a set amount of time.

Archived