NFL 2017: Jared vs. Case Is Why Fisher Will Never Coach Again

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I heard an interesting idea a few weeks back. Basketball and football should look into penalty boxes. For example, a flagrant foul in basketball means you have to play 4v5 for two minutes, and in football a personal foul means you play 10v11 for a drive or a set amount of time.

I don't know, the rules about when and how players have to be on the field in football are pretty complicated already. And can you imagine the danger Russel Wilson's life would be in if one of his linemen shoved an opponent? I mean a clear and present danger of being injured by a free rusher.

I could get on the idea of a punishment box though. Maybe it could be a dunk tank behind the opponent's goal and if a team scores while their opponent is in there, they get dunked.

9 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I don't know, the rules about when and how players have to be on the field in football are pretty complicated already. And can you imagine the danger Russel Wilson's life would be in if one of his linemen shoved an opponent? I mean a clear and present danger of being injured by a free rusher.

Thus the added incentive to not commit personal fouls. You’re literally putting your teammates in danger if you do so.

9 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I could get on the idea of a punishment box though. Maybe it could be a dunk tank behind the opponent's goal and if a team scores while their opponent is in there, they get dunked.

Pff. Why don’t we just lower the fences in baseball and put ball pits behind them for guys to dive into to prevent home runs?

I say we end the charade and give the football players swords and axes.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

As an aside, William Jackson is phenomenal, even with him not pushing Bell out of bounds because of fear of a penalty. Great corner who should have been shadowing Brown. The negligence of the defensive coaching staff to allow Brown (and Bryant given the PIs) to continually abuse Kirkpatrick is fireable.

Yep, WJ3 is the real deal. 

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Thus the added incentive to not commit personal fouls. You’re literally putting your teammates in danger if you do so.

Except.. the whole point of this discussion was to dissuade players from committing dangerous penalties. Putting a teammate's health in jeopardy as an incentive to prevent players from making dangerous plays is just self-defeating.

EDIT: Probably kidding, nevermind haha. 

8 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

Except.. the whole point of this discussion was to dissuade players from committing dangerous penalties. Putting a teammate's health in jeopardy as an incentive to prevent players from making dangerous plays is just self-defeating.

EDIT: Probably kidding, nevermind haha. 

While yes, it is by and large a joke, I think you’re reading it incorrectly. Players would learn over time to not commit dirty/illegal hits if they knew that it would result in taking them off of the field while hurting their team and teammates.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

GET FUCKED, MEX! :stillsick: You wanna put my poor Andy in a division with those animals! The worst part about it is that this is a pretty sellable idea from where I sit. I was trying to think of a better switch the league could make and I actually couldn't. I'm pretty sure Cincy is technically further north than Indy, but it would make a lot more sense for them to be in the AFC South than the Colts.

But! And maybe they thought about this when they changed the division format in 2002, but all the teams in the AFC South are warm weather teams. Indy has a dome, the Texans have a dome, and the reason Tennessee votes Republican is because they all have heat stroke...

Cinci is further south than Indy actually; and Indy has switched divisions before in relatively recent memory, there's no tradition keeping them where they are. The only other straightforward option I think would be putting the Lions in the AFC North and the Bengals in the NFC North; but the Lions actually do have a long tradition of being where they are. 

Although, they could soften the blow of putting Indy in the AFC North by having it be the Steelers who leave instead of the Bengals. Have the Steelers go to the AFC East and the Dolphins go the AFC South (where they should've been moved to long ago).

13 hours ago, Rockroi said:

I knew somebody would say this.  I just knew it.  And its really stupid.  Nobody "deserves" to be injured.  Not Berfict, not Brown.  I would like to say that I expect better but I don't.  

With as much shit as Burfict has done and all the players he's injured? If anyone deserved it, he did. 

This is sweet karma at its best and Juju should get a medal. He just turned 21 and knocked that thug on his ass. Good for him. 

This Yinzer won't shed a single tear over it. 

13 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Looks like your new to the sport so it's not surprising that you've arrived alongside all the other bleeding hearts that cry at every foul nowadays. Burfict is the walking definition of a dirty player who's maliciously injured multiple Steelers over the years. So yeah, when he gets put on his ass I think he deserves it. 

Thank the good lord for your basic decency, though. Typical white knight on here.

Totally agree with you. Probably not surprisingly. . I really don't like to see players injured, but Burfict is a special case. I also don't see what was wrong with Juju's hit. He led with his shoulder--did they change the rules and I didn't realize it? 

8 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

With as much shit as Burfict has done and all the players he's injured? If anyone deserved it, he did. 

This is sweet karma at its best and Juju should get a medal. He just turned 21 and knocked that thug on his ass. Good for him. 

Being a Yinzer is a bad thing. 

The people cheering on Burfict getting blindsided and possibly injured are the worst type of sports fans. They are basically the Vontaze Burfict of fandom.

ETA: Yep they changed the rules almost a decade ago on that. Right after Hines Ward did the same thing and broke Keith River's jaw.  

1 minute ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Being a Yinzer is a bad thing. 

The people cheering on Burfict getting blindsided and possibly injured are the worst type of sports fans. They are basically the Vontaze Burfict of fandom. 

Sarcasm, I hope?

Maybe. But the league let Burfict go and encouraged it by not just banning him for life. Eventually he was going to get a dose of his own medicine. If it wasn't Juju, it would be someone else. Eventually. 

If he was so injured, why was he grabbing Juju's cleat? I also heard that he jumped up off the stretcher and was walking around the locker room. 

Faking an injury should be a finaeable or suspendable offense. 

Meanwhile, Ryan Shazier is still laid up in a Cincinnati hospital. I don't see how you can even compare the two.

28 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

All the people Burfict has injured? He has injured 3 people. Le'Veon Bell on a completely legal tackle that was entirely unavoidable. Antonio Brown in the 2015 playoff game and Maxx Williams on a block that wasn't that dissimilar to JJSS's though he ultimately ended up getting suspended for it.

How many Bengals players has Mike Mitchell concussed in the last 3 years with illegal helmet to helmet hits of defenseless receivers? I don't see you sitting there saying Mitchell deserves to have a crack back block to the face and then taunted.

Blatant hypocrisy is one of the things I hate most in fans. You're a poster child.

16 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Sarcasm, I hope?

Maybe. But the league let Burfict go and encouraged it by not just banning him for life. Eventually he was going to get a dose of his own medicine. If it wasn't Juju, it would be someone else. Eventually. 

If he was so injured, why was he grabbing Juju's cleat? I also heard that he jumped up off the stretcher and was walking around the locker room. 

Meanwhile, Ryan Shazier is still laid up in a Cincinnati hospital. I don't see how you can even compare the two.

Wait what? Faking an injury? You are seriously saying that the Bengals staff put Burfict on a stretcher to FAKE an injury? Jesus you're a fucking lunatic. Go away.

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Sarcasm, I hope?

I hate Burfict and still believe we shouldn't celebrate illegal hits. Had Juju made the same block, but legally, I would be crowing with joy right now (as long as Burfict was healthy). No one deserves to be injured playing a game. I think most Steelers fans need to take a step back when it comes to Burfict. Our minds are too clouded with past wrongs committed by him and it effects our judgement of the situation. 

Also I don't like questioning about how real an injury is if the team doctors decide the best course of action is to cart the player off on a stretcher. I mean literally one of the reasons I hate Burfict is still to this day he claims AB was faking his injury in the playoff game in 2015. 

I'm not trying to compare Shazier and Burfict at all.

12 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Wait what? Faking an injury? You are seriously saying that the Bengals staff put Burfict on a stretcher to FAKE an injury? Jesus you're a fucking lunatic. Go away.

You were saying?

ETA: Go back and look at his high school and college careers, too. The guy is a menace and should have been given a lifetime ban long ago. Get rid of him and this craziness will stop. How many times has he been fined for headhunting? Before last night, he's racked up over $2 million in fines. It has done NOTHING to stop him. 

So, if he gets laid out, good. It's about time someone did it. If that makes me crazy, then whatever. You don't stop bullies by coddling them.

6 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I hate Burfict and still believe we shouldn't celebrate illegal hits. Had Juju made the same block, but legally, I would be crowing with joy right now (as long as Burfict was healthy). No one deserves to be injured playing a game. I think most Steelers fans need to take a step back when it comes to Burfict. Our minds are too clouded with past wrongs committed by him and it effects our judgement of the situation. 

Also I don't like questioning about how real an injury is if the team doctors decide the best course of action is to cart the player off on a stretcher. I mean literally one of the reasons I hate Burfict is still to this day he claims AB was faking his injury in the playoff game in 2015. 

I'm not trying to compare Shazier and Burfict at all.

What was illegal about Juju's hit? That's what I'm not getting. It looked perfectly legal to me. If it was indeed illegal, then I'll concede that point. But I don't see it. 

Juju just got suspended one game. That should make some people happy. 

2 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

PS: NFL medical personnel erring on the side of caution is a welcome development, IMO.

I have no problem with that and it's good that they did. 

There are Bengals fans on Twitter saying they hope Shazier never walks again. But we're the assholes. 

Whatever.

6 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

What was illegal about Juju's hit? That's what I'm not getting. It looked perfectly legal to me. If it was indeed illegal, then I'll concede that point. But I don't see it. 

Juju just got suspended one game. That should make some people happy. 

It is illegal to block a player with a blindsided block that includes hitting the blindsided player's head or neck with your head, shoulder, or forearm. It was made illegal the year after Hines Ward delivered a similar hit a Bengals player. 

ETA: CCLiT, we aren't on Twitter, so why does that matter? Yes there are terrible people in this world, but no one in this thread has said anything like that. Our actions should not be based off the lowest common denominator that inhibits Twitter. 

1 minute ago, Reny of Storms End said:

It is illegal to block a player with a blindsided block that includes hitting the blindsided player's head or neck with your head, shoulder, or forearm. It was made illegal the year after Hines Ward delivered a similar hit a Bengals player. 

I'll go back and look at it again. Thanks for clarifying.

31 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

You were saying?

ETA: Go back and look at his high school and college careers, too. The guy is a menace and should have been given a lifetime ban long ago. Get rid of him and this craziness will stop. How many times has he been fined for headhunting? Before last night, he's racked up over $2 million in fines. It has done NOTHING to stop him. 

So, if he gets laid out, good. It's about time someone did it. If that makes me crazy, then whatever. You don't stop bullies by coddling them.

Uh, so he got up from the cart and never re-entered the game? Never came back out onto the field? Burfict, the guy who gets injured on every other play and plays through everything? Because he got up, he was faking an injury and the Bengals staff is complicit? Right.

I know Burfict's career. I've watched every single game he's played in while for the Bengals and I know what he did before then. I also understand how he's targeted by the refs and the league because of his reputation and shit that normal people do, like say, Mike Mitchell, tends to be a lot less of an issue. Is he a dirty player? Yes. Does he deserve the fines he has gotten? Most of the time. Are all of the suspensions justified? Most of the time (suspended 6 games, reduced to 3 for a preseason hit that violated a new rule that he didn't even really violate?). Does that mean it's perfectly fine for a player to launch his helmet into his face while he wasn't looking illegally in a way that has already broken two Bengals' jaws and then taunt him? No. It's a bitch move. 

Again, you ignore Mike Mitchell who has single handedly concussed the Bengals best players and kept them out of playoff games and focus on Burfict. You are a hypocrit.

18 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Yes, the Hines Ward rule where he broke Keith River's jaw (our #9 pick that season) with a crack back block when Rivers was looking at the play in front of him. Ward, the consummate professional, taunted him too but that was ok then. It happened again a few years later when Terence Garvin did the same exact thing and broke Kevin Huber's (our punter) jaw.

Archived