NFL 2017: Jared vs. Case Is Why Fisher Will Never Coach Again

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I didn't think about that angle Reny, but it's completely plausible to me that the NFL is trying really hard to get people to forget about the potential paralyzation on the field of a young defensive star on one of their flagship franchises.

However, it may just be discretion and respect for Shazier's privacy. I also think the medical facility is probably being pretty tight-lipped. I remember how frustrated I was about the lack of updates when Tedy Bruschi had a stroke years ago. Even the little tidbits of information were shady. I had a friend who was a doctor where Bruschi was being treated, and she said at the time, regarding the media updates on him, "I don't know where they're getting this stuff, but it's not from us."

I never got the sense that the Browns thought Kizer was a great choice.  I think they were more of the belief that there were no great choices.  And at least so far, There's a good chance they were right about Trubisky and Beatherd, almost definitely right about Davis Webb and Peterman, Mahomes is unknown and so far at least looking wrong about Watson.

42 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I’ve been very frustrated with the lack of serious updates concerning the Shazier injury. I’m not talking as a fan, but just as one person caring for the well being of another. The latest is that he had surgery last night to stabilize his spine, this after reports that he would not require surgery. On top of that, besides an initial report that he had some feeling, no updates on whether the man can walk. This is the one thing I’m pretty sure everyone wants to know. I don’t care if he ever plays again, I just want to hear he can walk. I understand if his family doesn’t want any info shared, but have the team say that.

Ian Rapport just came out and said that now they are saying recovery will be in the months and that he won’t play again this year. Yet he left out the most crucial thing, can the guy feel anything? Part of me believes the NFL is hiding the fact that one of their players was paralyzed, and in a week or so they’ll admit it while also blaming the surgery for causing it.  

Even the NFL isn't stupid enough to blame the surgery for paralysis. And players and fans know it can happen, it's happened before on the field, and it will happen again.

48 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

HIPAA rules make it absolutely clear that information cannot be released by the team or hospital without the consent of the patient.

I just always sort of assumed there was a standard clause in contracts waiving HIPAA rights.  :dunno: 

After all, the injury report is required to be made public to all teams and the Pats are famous for circumventing it.  Seems to me that if strict application of HIPAA is in effect, then it would be fairly simple to leave players off the injury report or just put on there "Tom Brady - HIPAA exempt."

I'm guessing that after flubbing the initial announcement so badly, they just want to wait until they actually have concrete information to give out. Just realized this happened to Shazier right before he was about to cash in with this second contract :(

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

I'm guessing that after flubbing the initial announcement so badly, they just want to wait until they actually have concrete information to give out. Just realized this happened to Shazier right before he was about to cash in with this second contract :(

That's a fucking dagger, man. :( That poor kid, I hated him so much 'cause he was so good.

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I just always sort of assumed there was a standard clause in contracts waiving HIPAA rights.  :dunno: 

After all, the injury report is required to be made public to all teams and the Pats are famous for circumventing it.  Seems to me that if strict application of HIPAA is in effect, then it would be fairly simple to leave players off the injury report or just put on there "Tom Brady - HIPAA exempt."

I'm not sure HIPAA applies to team injury reports.

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm not sure HIPAA applies to team injury reports.

I started a response to Rhom an hour ago but gave up because I went into the weeds. But since it keeps coming up.

Jace has to imagine that it is most likely in the contract that any treatment for any injury of note is the Team's business and information must be made available to the Team Doctor who can disclose medical information as necessary to the league and team officials who need to be kept informed.

Actually, I've a bit of experience with this type of thing. ;)

So yes, he's kind of waived his HIPPA, but I actually tend to think the league does a pretty good job of keeping the info they receive kinda confidential.

Whereas I've assumed the HIPAA exemption applies only to the team injury reports and those are intentionally vague and more focused on 'can play, can't play or might not play'.   I'd guess the contract information, at least as far as public disclosure, ends at that point.

The Steelers have the contractual right to say Ryan Shazier cannot play and perhaps a vague injury description (like, it's his back).  Beyond that, I'd expect HIPAA is still in effect.

4 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

Sad thing, I think the Browns made the right call postponing their real QB hire until this coming draft.  Very few people saw Watson being the QB he seems to be and their slot is one made for a safe pick, not a die roll.

The plan is working.  Not quickly, and Hue is probably not the choice to run it when the pieces are in place, but the team is shaping up nicely.

I thought he was going to be really good, just not this quickly. Going back to Manziel, the reason why I thought both of these dudes would be good was because we saw them shred Alabama's D. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I thought he was going to be really good, just not this quickly. Going back to Manziel, the reason why I thought both of these dudes would be good was because we saw them shred Alabama's D. 

The recent(ish) college quarterback I saw shred the Cal defense who really stood out to my eye was a University of Nevada guy named Colin Kaepernick.  We see a lot of future NFL QBs in the Pac-12, and that guy really looked like one of them.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Jace screamed from the rooftops that he was trash.

There are extensive threads with evidence.

15 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

The recent(ish) college quarterback I saw shred the Cal defense who really stood out to my eye was a University of Nevada guy named Colin Kaepernick.  We see a lot of future NFL QBs in the Pac-12, and that guy really looked like one of them.

I was always really high on CK, but that's more because I loved him for saving me in a FF game than anything else. 

10 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Jace screamed from the rooftops that he was trash.

There are extensive threads with evidence.

Jace screams a lot of things from rooftops. That does not make her right.

:P

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was always really high on CK, but that's more because I loved him for saving me in a FF game than anything else. 

Jace screams a lot of things from rooftops. That does not make her right.

:P

Sir, if you are suggesting that what I yell at rooftops is any business of this board I'm afraid I'll have to have you swallowed by the Ganja.

2 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Sir, if you are suggesting that what I yell at rooftops is any business of this board I'm afraid I'll have to have you swallowed by the Ganja.

Consider it officially suggested. 

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Hey Jaime, you're probably pretty jealous you didn't get too invested in the Redskins season now eh?  It's been a rollercoaster of excitement.  I mean sure, you didn't have to endure the agony of getting swept by the suddenly good Eagles, getting blown out twice by the totally not that good Cowboys, or the astonishing collapse in the final 4 minutes vs New Orleans.  But you also missed the great moments like...the Oakland game!  And...surely there's more than that right?  I guess that time Seattle missed three field goals?  That was pretty cool I guess. 

Anyways.  SUCKER.

Yeah, y'know there's been a surprising number of Skins games on national TV this year so I've watched more than I was intending. And until recently, for the most part they've played in some really objectively entertaining games. The Chiefs, Saints and Seahawks games were all nuts. But it's been really nice not being emotionally invested in them. Feels very freeing not being tied to a team that almost always disappoints.

To an extent that feels unfair because, well, they've been decimated by injury. But then I remember that they play on the most shittily maintained field this side of high school despite being one of the richest teams in professional sports and it's like "oh yeah, they fuck that simple thing up too and that's also a demonstrable contributing factor to why half the roster is on IR." And they're terribly coached on game days, do stupid shit all the time, and it's like 5-7 is about right even with guys showing promise and Cousins playing better than ever.

And next year when Andy Dalton is the QB it'll be even easier to unplug further and think of them like I do the Orioles now.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

You've killed me.

I'd love to take credit for it because I thought it was brilliant but it came out of a Bill Simmons-Cousin Sal podcast. 

5 hours ago, Maithanet said:

How is this making your point at all?  Lots of teams were wrong about Watson, and the Browns were one of them.  The information you needed to see that Watson would succeed was there.  The Texans saw it and the Browns missed it. 

Had the Texans truly seen what Watson had become, they'd have not let so many teams make their picks with him still on the board.  They didn't see an instant franchise QB or their trade would have happened much much earlier and they would not have started the pre season planning to play Tom Savage.

They saw what the rest of the league saw.  A guy who might someday be an NFL QB but might not.

Honestly, Watson still isn't a sure thing. There is very little guarantee he'll be back to whatever form he was after the injury, even with a full recovery; he was right at the point where coordinators have enough tape of him to be able to scheme a bit. 

I hope I'm wrong - he seemed pretty awesome from what I read - but the notion that it was a huge miss to not draft him based on his 7 game performance seems inaccurate. 

Archived