U.S. Politics 2017: He's Good Enough, He's Smart Enough, and GODDAMMIT AL, WTF WERE YOU THINKING?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Has the Telecom Industry Just Been Busted for a Secret Lobbying Campaign to Kill Net Neutrality?

New York State's attorney general said FCC was targeted by fake lobbying, but it is obstructing his investigation.

https://www.alternet.org/activism/fcc-moves-end-net-neutrality-did-telecom-lobby-forge-tens-thousands-pro-industry-public

Unless You're a Telecom Lawyer Working For Comcast, The FCC Isn't Interested On Your Opinion Regarding Net Neutrality 

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/22/16689838/fcc-net-neutrality-comments-were-largely-ignored?ICID=ref_fark

/You can't have a public process and then decide who gets to be part of the public process

23 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Unless You're a Telecom Lawyer Working For Comcast, The FCC Isn't Interested On Your Opinion Regarding Net Neutrality 

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/22/16689838/fcc-net-neutrality-comments-were-largely-ignored?ICID=ref_fark

/You can't have a public process and then decide who gets to be part of the public process

Here is my legal analysis:

I think Pai is full of crap.

Let's talk a bit about the judicial branch, as prompted by this gloomy WP article which contains nuggets:

If conservatives get their way, President Trump will add twice as many lifetime members to the federal judiciary in the next 12 months (650) as Barack Obama named in eight years (325). American law will never be the same.

and

As a result, by sometime next year, 1 in 8 cases filed in federal court will be heard by a judge picked by Trump. Many of these judges will likely still be serving in 2050.

and

Calabresi proposes to pack the federal courts with a “minimum” of 260 — and possibly as many as 447 — newly created judicial positions. Under this plan, the 228-year-old federal judiciary would increase — in a single year — by 30 to 50 percent.

Apparently all of these proposals (plus a few extra goodies) are packed into the tax bill, which will potentially fail, but even so, this scheme is not going anywhere. It's pretty ominous that this doesn't seem to be discussed much at all.

I'm wondering how an initiative will be fought in a legal sense, especially now that the blue slip is gone. Is the only counter-move an escalation of the number of judgeships every time a new party comes into power?

And what it will mean for the legitimacy of the judicial branch? It sounds like there's going to be a head-on collision between the rule of law and the progress made in the area civil liberties over the last century. Both of these are pretty formidable forces in a country like the US. So which will win out iin the end?

1 hour ago, denstorebog said:

And what it will mean for the legitimacy of the judicial branch? It sounds like there's going to be a head-on collision between the rule of law and the progress made in the area civil liberties over the last century. Both of these are pretty formidable forces in a country like the US. So which will win out iin the end?

Rule of law will trump (pardon the pun) civil liberties, based on previous history.

At the moment, voting rights are hardly well protected and the judiciary is already stacked in favour of private-prisons. The First Amendment only applies to the government, so once net-neutrality is ditched you can also expect a lot of censorship. As the Internet is splintered behind pay walls for certain sites (and rival sites are blocked altogether by cable companies), the average American within ten years would be hard-pressed to see in the news that, just a few states away, judges are metering out unjust sentences.

If Republicans Succeed in Changing This One Word in the Tax Code, Millennials Are Screwed

https://slate.com/business/2017/11/how-one-word-change-to-the-tax-code-could-screw-millennials.html

Out of 42 top economists, only 1 believes the GOP tax bills would help the economy
But all of them think it will increase the debt.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/22/16691016/economists-gop-tax-plan-igm-poll

The theory behind Trump’s tax cuts is exactly what gave us the failed Bush economy
An influx of foreign hot money isn’t what we need.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/22/16683462/trump-tax-is-bad

23 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/22/16691016/economists-gop-tax-plan-igm-poll

Out of 42 top economists, only 1 believes the GOP tax bills would help the economy
But all of them think it will increase the debt.

Good to see supply siders getting horse laughed right of a room these days.

Couldn't happen to a finer group of knuckle heads.

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

I wonder how the global nature of the internet will affect this? If most other major jurisdictions (EU in particular) enforce net neutrality and regulate the internet as a utility will the decrease the potential for ISPs to screw over US clients? It's still a major question about whether other countries will regulate to maintain net neutrality, but assuming the best case scenario would this help US folks in any way?

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

If Republicans Succeed in Changing This One Word in the Tax Code, Millennials Are Screwed

https://slate.com/business/2017/11/how-one-word-change-to-the-tax-code-could-screw-millennials.html

Fascinating. You could argue that C-CPI is the better method for working out inflation adjustments since it reflects actual behaviour better than straight CPI. Though when it comes to tax policy I think "what's fair" is an important question when there are such huge income disparities. And perhaps it's not fair to have tax thresholds rise at the slowest possible rate, especially if the basis for doing so is to give corporations and the wealthiest people more money. One can always advance the argument that people should be able to keep more of their own money, but it's a bit hard to advance a rob the poor to pay the rich argument.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I wonder how the global nature of the internet will affect this? If most other major jurisdictions (EU in particular) enforce net neutrality and regulate the internet as a utility will the decrease the potential for ISPs to screw over US clients? It's still a major question about whether other countries will regulate to maintain net neutrality, but assuming the best case scenario would this help US folks in any way?

We already know; it looks like China, where some companies play ball, others don't go there at all, and the country fills in for things that work. 

Russia doesn't bother regulating much, except cracking down on things that they really hate - often through corporations that Putin has leverage on. 

Screwball radio program I listen too cites polls and weird facts dredged up from all over the internet.  Today: the ten top topics most likely to cause a fight on Thanksgiving. 

Number One was Donald Trump.

Most of the other nine were either political or close to it - immigration, the economy, foreign affairs that sort of thing.

About the only non political topic likely to cause a fight on T-Day was 'personal debt.'

That political discussions must be shunned at the family get-together level says something about the state of the country.  How many here agree with the poll?  It must be on the net somewhere.

Another oddball poll on the program today - which seems to be in keeping with the spirit of this board was 'which holidays are most likely to result in pregnancy?'  The big winner was, weirdly, Thanksgiving, though Valentines Day came in a close second.  New Years Eve placed like fifth, behind the 4th of July.  Go figure.

Why is there a pro Russia US congress critter? What California electorate was clamoring to have their pro Russia views represented in the US Congress? Our country is turning into a madhouse. And this is after decades of Republicans warning us about the dangers of Russia and how they have the biggest dicks to handle the situation. So much smells fishy in our country lately, and Trump is only part of it.

Kian was also present for a 2016 meeting between Flynn and Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.), a pro-Russia lawmaker, according to emails obtained by the special counsel's office.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/361626-muellers-grand-jury-to-question-flynn-associates-report

Mueller grand jury to question Flynn associate: report

To Hell With the Witch-Hunt Debate
The post-Weinstein moment isn’t a war on sex. It’s a long-overdue revolution.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/11/to-hell-with-the-witch-hunt-debate/546713/

Reflecting on Thanksgiving. It has actually been a pretty good year here in the US - stock market is up, consumer confidence is up, most of the people I know seem to feel like we are on the right track. The rest of the world is realizing they can't walk all over the US anymore. Even the political elites in Washington, Hollywood and NYC are feeling the pressure. 

I always thought the Trump presidency would be a chaotic event that could either go terribly wrong or could result in positive chaotic changes. Jury is still out but I'm personally loving the chaos and uncertainty it is creating. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, I'll be enjoying the day. 

15 minutes ago, zelticgar said:

Reflecting on Thanksgiving. It has actually been a pretty good year here in the US - stock market is up, consumer confidence is up, most of the people I know seem to feel like we are on the right track.

(Stephen Colbert voice:) "... I'm just kidding."

Archived