U.S. Politics 2017: He's Good Enough, He's Smart Enough, and GODDAMMIT AL, WTF WERE YOU THINKING?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

It's hilarious how the right wingers say people left of them fail to consider opposing views. Which political spectrum hinges on conserving "traditional" views? Which one is anti science? Which one is anti lgbt community, anti immigrant, anti people of color and anti equality as a whole and anti economic equality? Certainly isn't the left. Sure as fuck is the right.

14 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Thanks for the link, especially when it comes right after someone claiming that "no one will walk all over the US anymore."

I guess what's nice about perceptions is that they don't have to be remotely grounded in fact.
https://i.imgur.com/c4jt321.png

Also amusing because that is exactly what Russia has done. Meddled in our elections -- forget the collusion question -- with hacking of emails and voting machines, targeted false ad campaigns across social media, etc. Then our response is ... nothing. Some weird melange of being friends with them, except not .. or only in some places (?). They really did a great job against ISIS -- i.e. they successfully kept Assad in power which was nakedly their goal the entire time and they are rubbing the world's faces in it: https://www.vox.com/world/2017/11/21/16684862/assad-syria-russia-putin-civil-war

2 hours ago, zelticgar said:

I just don't see what has fundamentally changed in the last two years other than a single change in who has the title of President. Literally nothing else has changed.

Let's see.

• A whole bunch of refugees were denied entry to the US - about 50,000. Most of which are kids and women.
  • Yemen is seeing the worst famine in the world in 20 years, largely due to US propping up of Saudi Arabia. 
  • Myanmar has ethnically cleansed about half a million people, and only this week did the US actually announce this - and has done nothing about it despite it happening for months.
  • Libya is participating in open slave trading due to the refugee crisis there.
  • Asia has signed a massive trade deal with each other - without the US.
  • Mexico has signed a massive trade deal with Argentina - without the US.

Now, you might say that this isn't about the US, this is about the world. Okay, let's go with that:

• Hate crimes are at an all-time high, nearly doubling in some areas, since Trump took office
  • transgender murders are triple what they were in 2016, and attacks are doubled.
  • 3 of the 5 worst mass shootings in US history have happened this year.
  • The US was attacked in the single biggest espionage act since WW2, and has yet to do a single thing about it.
  • The US has killed civilians at a rate 31 times what they had reported in 2016 in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, which technically is a crime against humanity.

But yes, the biggest triumphs for Trump have so far to not actually succeed in most of his atrocious legislation. In that you're right - not much has changed. I am grateful today that the US did not repeal my son's health care access despite trying multiple times, and that he can still get treatment for his cancer. I am grateful that we have not banned Iraqi supporters who risked their lives helping US soldiers to be allowed into the US as we promised. 

2 hours ago, zelticgar said:

There’s the problem. When you fail to even consider an opposing view,  you end up arguing against the existence of that set of people you disagree with.  Not a healthy way to live.  Seems to be happening at levels I’ve never seen before, on both sides of the aisle.  

The vitriol towards me even asserting there might be a reason to be thankful on Thanksgiving is a perfect example of this dynamic. 

Of course, no one is jumping on you for saying you're thankful. You're getting jumped on for expressing a "fuck it, I don't see any problems" attitude about the very real damage Trump is doing. You're getting pushback because you are blindly oblivious or simply don't give a shit.

But this ability to endlessly cast yourself as a victim while being perfectly unaware of how much bad stuff is happening, because it only happens to people who don't look like you, is perhaps the most contemptible aspect of your unexamined privilege.

Let's talk about where Trump is succeeding, deregulation. He is killing regulations which protect the elderly, the disabled, kids, consumers, civil rights, and the environment. On that note his EPA is the worst collection of climate change deniers and anti-science idiots we have ever seen. Representatives from the EPA have said that the air is too clean in America, we could use some more radiation, and that god put fossil fuels on earth for our use.

Also, @zelticgar, I hope you're also willing to accept that if nothing too bad is happening with Trump, that also implies nothing bad was happening with Obama, either. And it also implies that nothing particularly bad was going to happen with Clinton, as far as you're concerned. 

On 11/23/2017 at 2:00 PM, Rippounet said:

Thanks for the link, especially when it comes right after someone claiming that "no one will walk all over the US anymore."

I guess what's nice about perceptions is that they don't have to be remotely grounded in fact.
https://i.imgur.com/c4jt321.png

You know, I spent several years in the combat arms. And one thing that absolutely drives me crazy is the way conservatives talk about the projection of military power and it’s use. War is not a goddamn game. I find many conservatives attitudes to be extremely ignorant and outright childish.

And for some reason, one I just don’t understand, they think that putting on some kind of tough guy act means one is competent in handling foreign policy matters or warfare. And that was what largely Dubya was about, though he was utterly incompetent.

And now we have Trump. And he is all bluster and doesn’t have one dame brain cell between his ears, but somehow magically nobody will mess with the US anymore.

Drives me crazy.

To be fair, no-one is messing with the US anymore

I mean, only Russia was trying, but the US has been winning so hard that it hardly counts as "trying" anymore.

However, other countries are working with the US less, but hey, who needs friends huh?

23 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

However, other countries are working with the US less, but hey, who needs friends huh?

Well of course we don't need any, with a guy like Trump in office he'll just get on Twitter if there is a problem.

And if that doesn't work, he'll just parade around an aircraft carrier.

No friends needed.

Per the New York Times.

• Lawyers for Michael T. Flynn, President Trump’s former national security adviser, are said to have terminated an information-sharing agreement with the president’s legal team.
  • The move indicates that Mr. Flynn is cooperating with prosecutors or negotiating such a deal.

CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH SOME BENICIO DEL TORO, YES, YOU KNOW WHICH CLIP I'M TALKING ABOUT.

3 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Let's talk about where Trump is succeeding, deregulation. He is killing regulations which protect the elderly, the disabled, kids, consumers, civil rights, and the environment. On that note his EPA is the worst collection of climate change deniers and anti-science idiots we have ever seen. Representatives from the EPA have said that the air is too clean in America, we could use some more radiation, and that god put fossil fuels on earth for our use.

That, and he is installing conservative shit shows into lifetime judicial positions.

7 hours ago, zelticgar said:

Reflecting on Thanksgiving. It has actually been a pretty good year here in the US - stock market is up, consumer confidence is up, most of the people I know seem to feel like we are on the right track. The rest of the world is realizing they can't walk all over the US anymore. Even the political elites in Washington, Hollywood and NYC are feeling the pressure. 

I always thought the Trump presidency would be a chaotic event that could either go terribly wrong or could result in positive chaotic changes. Jury is still out but I'm personally loving the chaos and uncertainty it is creating. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, I'll be enjoying the day. 

It is hard to walk over somone when you are rolling on the floor convulsed with laughter. 

Archived