U.S. Politics 2017: He's Good Enough, He's Smart Enough, and GODDAMMIT AL, WTF WERE YOU THINKING?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I used that line on so many people today at work. Not a single person got it. 

I miss politically astute working environments. 

Please accept my humble apologies - I quickly scanned unread posts and all I could think of was his sons, the big game hunters.

I am appalled. Shocked and appalled for missing that. :bang:  :cheers:

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

Out of guilt, I attended a talk today presented by a theorist.  Thought it'd be stupid because theorists are kind of the happy wanderers in the discipline these days.  But she actually demonstrated how among charter schools, those with higher minority populations tend to have more stringent prescriptive dress codes.  This was evidence for her larger point about how "respectability" engenders unequal outcomes for our youth.  Included were anecdotes about teachers demanding 10-12 year-old female violators of dress codes get on their knees or even bend over.  At that point the talk seemed incredibly prescient.

I am sure Moore approves of this.

28 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Not sure anyone believes Trump's days are numbered. Think we all believe this shit is going to continue. And the state of politics is a shit show. 

Here is a popular Internet political commentator I often watch. He is vague about his end date. He does not say if he meant 18 months from Inauguration day or 18 months from the posting of the video if he would be surprised. He also stated his best guess is within 6 months of the posting of the video which is February 2018.

Those wishing Trump gone would do well to remember that Pence is next in line.

Trump is unorganized and ill informed about how the political process works, and more, does not care.  He's grandstanding most of the time, and those on both sides are part of the audience.

Pence, though, is organized and does understand the process.  And his political goals appear to be near as extreme as Trumps.  Unlike Trump, Pence could probably pass destructive legislation.

Also, my personal prediction, shared a time or two here, and following from the AHCA catastrophe, is that Republicans will fail utterly to pass any truly major tax reform this year.  A collection of minor tax cuts and bracket adjustments, perhaps, whose import is blown out of proportion, but nothing more. 

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

Pence, though, is organized and does understand the process.  And his political goals appear to be near as extreme as Trumps.  Unlike Trump, Pence could probably pass destructive legislation.

Regardless of Trump's ultimate fate, I think this narrative needs to stop.  Mike Pence would or will not be some savior for the conservative movement.  The GOP Congress can't get its shit together.  Is that hampered by Trump?  Sure.  But replacing him with vanilla douchebag would not change a damn thing.  The GOP Senate cannot get to 50 votes on any significant policy in spite of the fact they have a president that will eagerly sign anything like Tommen.  The Dems are a dysfunctional party, but let's not lose sight of the fact the GOP is squandering their opportunity with unified government, which is always elusive.

4 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Those wishing Trump gone would do well to remember that Pence is next in line.

Trump is unorganized and ill informed about how the political process works, and more, does not care.  He's grandstanding most of the time, and those on both sides are part of the audience.

Also, my personal prediction, shared a time or two here, and following from the AHCA catastrophe, is that Republicans will fail utterly to pass any truly major tax reform this year.  A collection of minor tax cuts and bracket adjustments, perhaps, whose import is blown out of proportion, but nothing more. 

And unlike Pence, Trump would launch a nuclear bomb because he has zero self control.

And btw, hate to tell you, Trump is already putting through destructive legislation and infesting the judicial system with extremely conservative judges who are corrupt and bigoted as all fucking hell.

16 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

And unlike Pence, Trump would launch a nuclear bomb because he has zero self control.

And btw, hate to tell you, Trump is already putting through destructive legislation and infesting the judicial system with extremely conservative judges who are corrupt and bigoted as all fucking hell.

And the names of those judges are likely being given to Trump by the same hyper conservative groups and organizations that would favor Pence, or even by Pence himself. It's not like Trump is putting in research and looking through judicial records to find these batshit and unqualified judges that he's nominating, (and that we'll be living with for the next 30 or 40 years) they're being supplied to him by someone else so Donald can focus on the things most important to him: figuring out how to profit from the Presidency, stroking his ego, tweeting, watching Fox and Friends, and planning his next weekend golf getaway.

We're already getting the theocratic bigotry we'd get from Pence & company, just without the relief of "Well, at least the odds of him starting a nuclear war are infinitesimally small" that we'd get as a side effect of Pence.

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Please accept my humble apologies - I quickly scanned unread posts and all I could think of was his sons, the big game hunters.

I am appalled. Shocked and appalled for missing that. :bang:  :cheers:

You are not alone. I missed it the first time also.

6 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

And the names of those judges are likely being given to Trump by the same hyper conservative groups and organizations that would favor Pence, or even by Pence himself. It's not like Trump is putting in research and looking through judicial records to find these batshit and unqualified judges that he's nominating, (and that we'll be living with for the next 30 or 40 years) they're being supplied to him by someone else so Donald can focus on the things most important to him: figuring out how to profit from the Presidency, stroking his ego, tweeting, watching Fox and Friends, and planning his next weekend golf getaway.

We're already getting the theocratic bigotry we'd get from Pence & company, just without the relief of "Well, at least the odds of him starting a nuclear war are infinitesimally small" that we'd get as a side effect of Pence.

Good points.

Yesterday I watched WH press secretary Sarah Huckabee provide us with the number one reason why Al Franken shouldn't resign.

I previously had seen her stand there and say, with a straight face, that all the women who had made allegations against Trump were lying, but she took the cake yesterday, saying Franken was an admitted sex assaulter and Trump had denied everything, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the difference between them.

It sure is.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Yesterday I watched WH press secretary Sarah Huckabee provide us with the number one reason why Al Franken shouldn't resign.

I previously had seen her stand there and say, with a straight face, that all the women who had made allegations against Trump were lying, but she took the cake yesterday, saying Franken was an admitted sex assaulter and Trump had denied everything, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the difference between them.

It sure is.

Maybe she didn't hear the GTBTP tape?

18 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Regardless of Trump's ultimate fate, I think this narrative needs to stop.  Mike Pence would or will not be some savior for the conservative movement.  The GOP Congress can't get its shit together.  Is that hampered by Trump?  Sure.  But replacing him with vanilla douchebag would not change a damn thing.  The GOP Senate cannot get to 50 votes on any significant policy in spite of the fact they have a president that will eagerly sign anything like Tommen.  The Dems are a dysfunctional party, but let's not lose sight of the fact the GOP is squandering their opportunity with unified government, which is always elusive.

I can't understand why people think the rethugs aren't getting exactly what they want and have planned to get?  Over and over things are changed that protect our rights and liberties and yet people keep saying nothing has been done.  So Mango Man steps back on elephant killing, but the FCC has rolled back even more regulations on media consolidation.  Sinclair will probably own ALL the radio stations now, and they own a huge proportion of them as it is.  Media is the key to everything and They own it. Literally.  Along with everything else, including those so called legislators who won't do gun regulation and confirm utter incompetents, boobs and enemies in offices they have vowed to destroy.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

I can't understand why people think the rethugs aren't getting exactly what they want and have planned to get?  Over and over things are changed that protect our rights and liberties and yet people keep saying nothing has been done.  So Mango Man steps back on elephant killing, but the FCC has rolled back even more regulations on media consolidation.  Sinclair will probably own ALL the radio stations now, and they own a huge proportion of them as it is.  Media is the key to everything and They own it. Literally.  Along with everything else, including those so called legislators who won't do gun regulation and confirm utter incompetents, boobs and enemies in offices they have vowed to destroy.

Soon, we will al be living in the world of Max Headroom. 

2 hours ago, maarsen said:

Is that why they needed to kneel?

Indeed. And if you need someone to cover it up, well Tony Perkins is your man it appears...

Conservative Activist Perkins Reportedly Covered Up Sexual Assault Against Teenager

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/11/18/conservative_activist_tony_perkins_reportedly_covered_up_sexual_assault.html

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2017/tax-bill-senate-house-hurdles/?lo=ap_e1

Tax reform: 7 Key players and how they could stop the bill

Archived