Faceless Men's views on Jon?

AlaskanSandman

So i saw a post to do with the Bank of Braavos and Jon (also the Night's watch but not relevant here), and it got me wondering about Jon's death and the Bank of Braavos's view of any debt he may own them. Does Jon's death make any money debt paid? 

Since the Bank of Braavos likely uses the faceless men as their assassins (Note how Braavos sent a letter to Valyria of debt owed and then Valyria is destroyed supposedly by the faceless men), this would all also hinge on how the Faceless men feel about Jon's death and possible Resurrection.  

Would his death pay the money debt? And does his resurrection cheat the god of death? and thus put Jon in debt again? 

I would think the Iron Bank would expect Jon's NW successors to pay back the debt. The same way they expected Joffrey/Tommen to pay back the money their predecessor Robert borrowed. 

27 minutes ago, AlaskanSandman said:

And does his resurrection cheat the god of death? and thus put Jon in debt again?

Perhaps it does or maybe they won't care or even believe it. They never sent anyone after Beric, at least that we know about. Though I did read a theory a while back that the Faceless Men will take offense to Jon's resurrection and send someone to kill him for good. Someone that Jon not only knows and trusts, but loves like a little sister.

2 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

I would think the Iron Bank would expect Jon's NW successors to pay back the debt. The same way they expected Joffrey/Tommen to pay back the money their predecessor Robert borrowed. 

Perhaps it does or maybe they won't care or even believe it. They never sent anyone after Beric, at least that we know about. Though I did read a theory a while back that the Faceless Men will take offense to Jon's resurrection and send someone to kill him for good. Someone that Jon not only knows and trusts, but loves like a little sister.

Hmmmm, so you thinking Sansa? jk haha thats definitely an interesting thought. Like i said, just kinda random thoughts. Good point on Beric though, though maybe they couldn't find them. Then Beric gives his life for Stoneheart and officially dies so no way to after that. 

As far as the Night's watch, that's interesting thought too. Though we dont know who the debt was made to really, Jon or the Night's watch. If Jon it may go to House Stark instead of the Watch. In which case Arya would be closing all debts. Interesting. 

I'm confident the money borrowed from the Iron Bank for the Nights Watch has to be paid back by the Nights Watch.   Jon is just the leader of said group and guaranteed that the load would be paid.  I don't think House Stark would be responsible at all.   Although Jon's death brings up a topic I've been interested in but find little to flesh it out with:  What are the ramifications of Jon's death as LC of the NW? Take the Wildlings and Kings Men out of it for a minute and examine this on a strictly NW basis.   Someone has to act LC, someone has to make decisions, someone has to take the murdering brothers out--don't they?   The murdering brothers are the council that seemed to be in place to enforce the last election.   That's saying these brothers were members of Jon's council so there is a power vacuum.   Could the treaty with the Wildlings be quashed?  

I doubt the Faceless Men even know who Jon is and double down that Arya will absolutely not allow Jon to become a target.  

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I'm confident the money borrowed from the Iron Bank for the Nights Watch has to be paid back by the Nights Watch. Jon is just the leader of said group and guaranteed that the load would be paid.

:agree:

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I doubt the Faceless Men even know who Jon is

I think that Patchface is Faceless Man. And he was hired by Tywin Lannister to kill Steffor Baratheon, and from that time was spying after other Baratheons. Or he just became used to them, and stayed with them.

Melisandre thinks that Patchface is dangerous, because she feels that he is not who he seems to be.

Also I think that Iron Bank and Faceless Men are two parts of the same organisation. One of the reasons why Iron Bank gave money to NW, is because Patchface vouched for Jon Snow.

10 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Though I did read a theory a while back that the Faceless Men will take offense to Jon's resurrection and send someone to kill him for good.

On the contrary they will see Jon as a messenger from Faceless God. He died, and then the God let him go back to the world of living, with a mission. When it will be discovered that Jon is the Prince that was promised, then they will realise that Jon was brought back to defeat Others. To Faceless God, what Others do, is an offence - they turn dead people into wights, even though when people die, they supposed to perish and join Faceless God in afterlife, not to keep wandering in the world of living. So Jon is the warrior who was sent by Faceless God, to defeat Others, and make all wights to be annihilated.

One revived person is a much lesser offence, that hundreds thousands of walking dead.

On 11/17/2017 at 1:14 AM, AlaskanSandman said:

So i saw a post to do with the Bank of Braavos and Jon (also the Night's watch but not relevant here), and it got me wondering about Jon's death and the Bank of Braavos's view of any debt he may own them. Does Jon's death make any money debt paid? 

Since the Bank of Braavos likely uses the faceless men as their assassins (Note how Braavos sent a letter to Valyria of debt owed and then Valyria is destroyed supposedly by the faceless men), this would all also hinge on how the Faceless men feel about Jon's death and possible Resurrection.  

Would his death pay the money debt? And does his resurrection cheat the god of death? and thus put Jon in debt again? 

The debt is not personal debt.  The NW is responsible for paying the debt.  Jon's death doesn't mean it will be written off.  Robert's debts were not written off after his death.  We can be confident that the NW will be required to pay that loan back. 

Jon's death does not affect the debt.  It is still owed and payment will be required.  Bowen Marsh is a more capable financial manager than Jon. 

Jon the Wight is not going to be too good at accounting and arithmetic, if he ever was to begin with.  His resurrection will not be received positively.  Are you forgetting that he is guilty of treason at the wall?  He also helped put together the marriage of a noble lady and a wildling man.  He helped give away the lands of a noble family to a wildling.  That will not make him popular.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 1:14 AM, AlaskanSandman said:

The next LC will inherit the debt.  And as far as a resurrection, yes that is cheating death.  Will they go through the trouble of sending an assassin through a frozen land to kill a wight like Jon?  I don't think so.  They'll wait for him to die in time as all wights will die.

Archived