Do You Think There Will Ever Be Books and Stories By Other Writers Set in the World of Lord of The Rings?

GAROVORKIN

1 hour ago, Hello World said:

Doesn't it become public domain at some point and then anyone can do it? Because if that's right I'm almost certain that it's going to happen.

Disney and the other entertainment industry giants keep "lobbying" (meaning bribing with campaign contribution) the US congress and the respective legislative bodies around the world to extend copyright to a ridiculous degree, so probably not since they were published after Disney's most famous creations.

McKiernan basically did that and got into some trouble, so supposedly changed a few bits. But his "Iron Tower" books are derivative and suck anyway. It may be a prejudice but I do not think that it speaks well of an author's creativity if he wants to use a pre-made universe, especially the one of the most famous fantasy book of the last 100 years. And one that is in many respects (history, languages etc.) more elaborate than anything else in the field.

2 hours ago, Hello World said:

Doesn't it become public domain at some point and then anyone can do it? Because if that's right I'm almost certain that it's going to happen.

The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit become public domain in the UK on 1st January, 2044.

To answer the question - no. Mountains of fanfiction already exist, and I don't think there would be much scope for publishers here (why pay for fanfiction when you can get it for free?). At most, I think you might see someone in 2054-2055 produce some sort of anthology commemorating the centenary, but that's about it.   

Whenever the copyright expires, if it ever does, and if a viable entertainment industry still exists, then it's inevitable. There will be books, stories, movies, television shows, video games, all of that set in LOTR world adapting all that has not been adapted, adapting again what all ready has, and creating new stories all together.

Once it's legal, no way will it not be capitalized on. Doesn't bother me. It all depends on the talent of the writer and the freedom of what they're allowed to do. More often than not an original work may indicate a writer is more adept and creative, but not necessarily. Lots of great writers (along with a ton of shitty ones) like to write in all ready established universes, Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel Comics, DC, etc. If it's good I'll enjoy it, if it's bad I'll opt out before investing much into it. Maybe I won't even be around by the time it happens. So, why the hell not? 

7 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Mountains of fanfiction already exist, and I don't think there would be much scope for publishers here (why pay for fanfiction when you can get it for free?).  

I don't see why they would publish Jane Austen zombie books and mountains of Sherlock Homles fan-fiction but not Gandalf and Hobbits and Golem, etc. If anything, the latter has a bigger market now and LotR fans are more likely to read fan-fiction than the former ones.

21 hours ago, Jo498 said:

McKiernan basically did that and got into some trouble, so supposedly changed a few bits. But his "Iron Tower" books are derivative and suck anyway. It may be a prejudice but I do not think that it speaks well of an author's creativity if he wants to use a pre-made universe, especially the one of the most famous fantasy book of the last 100 years. And one that is in many respects (history, languages etc.) more elaborate than anything else in the field.

Ive read some McKiernan books. He's not bad.  

1 hour ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Sword of Shannara is Tolkien inspired no question . But the major difference is that Shannara  is a post apocalyptic.

Eye of the World  is quite different  in concept from LOTR.

Sword of Shannara is as derivative as it could get without being a flat out copy and if you seriously think that The Eye of the World is "quite different" from LotR, I suggest you read them again. Not that I would wish another reading of The Eye of the World upon anyone, mind you.

Sword of Shannara is extremely derivative of LotR, but to be fair Brooks did go off in other directions later on.

The Eye of the World has surface similarities to LotR but these are significantly overblown. The second half of the novel goes in a very different direction and the rest of the series has very little to do with Tolkien.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Sword of Shannara is extremely derivative of LotR, but to be fair Brooks did go off in other directions later on.

The Eye of the World has surface similarities to LotR but these are significantly overblown. The second half of the novel goes in a very different direction and the rest of the series has very little to do with Tolkien.

I was not talking about the rest of the series in either case, just Sword of Shannara and The Eye of the World;) 

6 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Sword of Shannara is Tolkien inspired no question . But the major difference is that Shannara  is a post apocalyptic.

Eye of the World  is quite different  in concept from LOTR.

LOTR is post-apocalyptic.  It's set in the ruins of the previous ages, with little remaining of the High elves or the Numenorans.  In the 2nd Age Sauron took one look at the Numenorans and surrendered. In the 3rd age he's the big bad.

8 hours ago, baxus said:

Sword of Shannara is as derivative as it could get without being a flat out copy and if you seriously think that The Eye of the World is "quite different" from LotR, I suggest you read them again. Not that I would wish another reading of The Eye of the World upon anyone, mind you.

I read the Sword Shannara once and that was quite enough as for Eye I serious doubt I will ever attempt to read  that one again either. :D

Archived