Was Ned Engaged To Any1 before Catelyn?

manchester_babe

We don't know of anyone, and I'd say it was unlikely since no one has been mentioned yet. The fact that Lord Ryswell had hopes of marrying Barbary to Ned before Brandon's death makes it sound like he was available for any good bids if you know what I mean. 

There is a small questions thread, for small questions, which is where small questions should probably go, rather than starting a new thread every time a small question pops into your head, and attracting maybe 2 or 3 replies before it disappears with all the other small threads containing small questions that should have probably gone in the small questions thread.

Small questions, long sentences.

51 minutes ago, maudisdottir said:

There is a small questions thread, for small questions, which is where small questions should probably go, rather than starting a new thread every time a small question pops into your head, and attracting maybe 2 or 3 replies before it disappears with all the other small threads containing small questions that should have probably gone in the small questions thread.

Small questions, long sentences.

the mods do nothing for curating content on here unless someone reports it. you shouldn't either

12 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

the mods do nothing for curating content on here unless someone reports it. you shouldn't either

I'm not curating, or modding. But this poster starts a lot of threads with a single sentence, usually a question, and never promotes a discussion, quite often not returning for days and then only to offer another one-liner, so the thread dies.

Just pointing out as someone who only gets the opportunity to check in briefly at irregular times, it's frustrating when I'm looking for new content to have to scroll through pages of question threads with 2 or 3 replies that could have been asked and answered in the thread that's pinned for that very purpose.

I think given Lord Rodrick's propensity for creating a vast web of alliances he would happily have supported an Ashara Dayne connection, subverting a family of the favourite Kingsguard even hehe. Just up his alley.

But after Ashara I am not sure what was available besides Lady Dustin. I am not sure where everyone would have lived if the civil war had not happened. I imagine Ned would have moved to Starfall, Cat to Winterfell.

7 hours ago, maudisdottir said:

I'm not curating, or modding. But this poster starts a lot of threads with a single sentence, usually a question, and never promotes a discussion, quite often not returning for days and then only to offer another one-liner, so the thread dies.

Just pointing out as someone who only gets the opportunity to check in briefly at irregular times, it's frustrating when I'm looking for new content to have to scroll through pages of question threads with 2 or 3 replies that could have been asked and answered in the thread that's pinned for that very purpose.

It has been like that since I got here.

4 hours ago, Whitering said:

I think given Lord Rodrick's propensity for creating a vast web of alliances he would happily have supported an Ashara Dayne connection, subverting a family of the favourite Kingsguard even hehe. Just up his alley.

But after Ashara I am not sure what was available besides Lady Dustin. I am not sure where everyone would have lived if the civil war had not happened. I imagine Ned would have moved to Starfall, Cat to Winterfell.

Not only is Ashara's brother a kingsguard, she herself is maid-of-honor to the future queen.  A nice catch, indeed.  I think the Barbrey-Brandon relationship is an indicator of what Ned and Ashara's expectations might have been.  That they may have had a romance expecting to marry in the near future.  Then Rhaegar and Aerys blew their plans up.

On 11/22/2017 at 6:03 PM, redviper21 said:

one can easily see that there would not have been a better catch then ashara for ned.

Would it have been proper? Tytos Lannister caused quite a bit of controversy when his daughter Genna was betrothed to Emmon Frey, who was the second son of a bannerman.

14 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Would it have been proper? Tytos Lannister caused quite a bit of controversy when his daughter Genna was betrothed to Emmon Frey, who was the second son of a bannerman.

And not even a Westerlands bannerman at that, although i think the controversy was because it was to a son of House Frey, who the rest of Westeros look down on and think of as upstarts.

18 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

4 hours ago, Livesundersink said:

And not even a Westerlands bannerman at that, although i think the controversy was because it was to a son of House Frey, who the rest of Westeros look down on and think of as upstarts.

Emmon being an upstart Frey is a reason of it's own but even if he wasn't a Frey, Genna was better placed than him in the marriage game.

Emmon is a second son of a vassal and Genna is the only daughter of a regional overlord. While Freys have some wealth, her children would never get to rule unless Walder can handover some portion of land for Emmon. If he did that, though, it wouldn't be fit for Genna and it would probably lead to the ruin of Freys with every second son of a second son and cousins and whatever starting to demand their own portion of land, as they are so numerous.

Ashara, being beautiful, coming from a prominent family and being the only daughter is certainly to get himself a great lord husband if not a regional one. So marrying to a second son is also a bad marriage for her.

We see several second (and third) sons from prominent families throughout the series; Emmon is kept at the twins because Walder is both a family man and he can afford to keep him, but he has no lands. Kevan is also kept because he is useful to Tywin and he can afford to, though he has some incomes and is able to raise men again he has no lands. Robar Royce becomes a Rainbow Guard, Waymar Royce takes the black. Garlan is kept because Tyrells can afford to and also because Garlan is crippled, possibly also the reason he can get to marry to a vassal house. He only gets  landed because an oppurtunity presented itself. Loras becomes kingsguard. Benjen takes the black after rebellion is over, probably Ned would too if Brandon survived and sired himself a few sons. Second sons and so on only fare as well as their brothers / fathers allow them to, if they have the means in the first place.

However, Ned could  have been an exception; Ned himself tells Bran that he may keep a holdfast in Robb's name, so Brandon may have allowed him to hold some lands in his name, making him a lord of sorts. He wouldn't be too bad of a marriage option after that, depending on how much Brandon gives him.

Archived