Dissecting Names

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

15 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Ooh, this sounds right up my street! do you have an essay you can link me to about this idea? I'll post a link to my Woodswitches one and hopefully there will be similarities in conclusion/stuff to bounce off. 

https://theweirwoodseyes.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/

I did not know you had a blog. Checking it out now :D

12 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Ooh, this sounds right up my street! do you have an essay you can link me to about this idea? I'll post a link to my Woodswitches one and hopefully there will be similarities in conclusion/stuff to bounce off. 

https://theweirwoodseyes.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/

I would add Quaithe to your list of potential wood witches because of the similarity between her and Morna White Mask and Mother Mole.  I think it's entirely possible that a Westerosi wood witch could end up in Essos.  Quaithe wears a wooden mask colored with red lacquer and I'm reminded of the device on the shield of the Knight of the Laughing Tree: a red face.

12 minutes ago, LynnS said:

I will love to read this shortly.  I do not have any essays on the subject.  @The Fattest Leech has some interesting ideas on the song "The Bear and Maiden Fair", so you could tap her to expand the horizon.  Basically, I think this is new ground for interpreting some of Old Nan's stories about the Night's King and context we're given in the current story.  I do think Martin is drawing on Old Norse concepts of time, self, and magic.

Oh I love The Fattest Leech, she has brilliant ideas and is interested in most of the same aspects of the story as I am. 

2 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I did not know you had a blog. Checking it out now :D

Oh, it is very new. And only has three posts so far. I am hoping to write up some more soon. But I get easily distracted. The Woodswitch essay is mostly just that thread I did on here's OP with yours and the others points added. 

2 minutes ago, LynnS said:

I would add Quaithe to your list of potential wood witches because of the similarity between her and Morna White Mask and Mother Mole.  I think it's entirely possible that a Westerosi wood witch could end up in Essos.  Quaithe wears a wooden mask colored with red lacquer and I'm reminded of the device on the shield of the Knight of the Laughing Tree: a red face.

Thanks. I'm trying to keep in in terms of Westeros but I see your point. 

9 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Oh, it is very new. And only has three posts so far. I am hoping to write up some more soon. But I get easily distracted. The Woodswitch essay is mostly just that thread I did on here's OP with yours and the others points added. 

I bookmarked it! Thanks for the mention. I also have a (long) Val She-bear essay written (with maybe a tweek or two still needed). It will be posted one day and I will direct you to it when it is up. 

34 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I bookmarked it! Thanks for the mention. I also have a (long) Val She-bear essay written (with maybe a tweek or two still needed). It will be posted one day and I will direct you to it when it is up. 

Oh do please I will look forward to reading it! 

1 hour ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Thanks. I'm trying to keep in in terms of Westeros but I see your point. 

There is a kind of symmetry to sending Melisandre into Jon's sphere of influence and in opposite,  Quaithe into Dany's sphere of influence. Mel's medium is fire and her eyes are like rubies or red coals; while Quaithe eyes are watery and wet, which suggests her medium is water. 

5 minutes ago, LynnS said:

There is a kind of symmetry to sending Melisandre into Jon's sphere of influence and in opposite,  Quaithe into Dany's sphere of influence. Mel's medium is fire and her eyes are like rubies or red coals; while Quaithe eyes are watery and wet, which suggests her medium is water. 

This is my funny way of thinking, but I always thought of Patchface as the parallel to Quaithe. They are both riddlers, both have masked faces, both sing a type of song, both have a life -vs- death message, and both give prophetic messages in the way of (confusing) directions.

But that's just me, I know, I know, oh, oh, oh :P

12 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

This is my funny way of thinking, but I always thought of Patchface as the parallel to Quaithe. They are both riddlers, both have masked faces, both sing a type of song, both have a life -vs- death message, and both give prophetic messages in the way of (confusing) directions.

But that's just me, I know, I know, oh, oh, oh :P

I was just thinking about Patchface and how he sounds like a crow, I know, I know, I know.  :D

8 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Interesting because as a shadow binder you'd think her medium would be shadow. But of course shadow is not elemental in itself. There is a blog post about Magic on my blog too btw if you fancy reading it. Mel too uses shadow binding but that is unrelated to her use of fire they are two separate skills.   

8 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Interesting because as a shadow binder you'd think her medium would be shadow. But of course shadow is not elemental in itself. There is a blog post about Magic on my blog too btw if you fancy reading it. Mel too uses shadow binding but that is unrelated to her use of fire they are two separate skills.   

I presume that the white shadows or white walkers are a form of ice/water magic and shadowbinding.

6 hours ago, LynnS said:

And both correspond to the birthplaces of Dany and Jon. Dany was born on an island during a summer storm and Jon was born in Dorne, a place of heat. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/17/2018 at 8:10 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

Anyone has any idea where the name Lyarra comes from?

Lyarra, Lyanna, Lya, Lysa, Alyssa, Nissa, Melissa, Me-Lisa-'ndre (have I forgotten any?) are all, in my opinion, inspired by GRRM's real-life love Lisa Tuttle (from which the Tully name also derives) who jilted him for another man ('mystery man X' -- I'd be ever so grateful if someone could supply his name!), hence inspiring various permutations of the signature love triangle which peppers the pages ad nauseum.

If you're into puns, as I am, then you'll be willing to entertain the compelling possibility that it's also a wordplay on 'LIES/LIAR' or 'LYRE', given GRRM's unusual pronunciation of the 'Y'/'I' as 'aI' instead of the ubiquitous 'I:'.

6 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Illyrio=ill , also not a good guy

Expanding on this...

Ill = sick, illness, bad, etc.

y = Spanish for "and" or possibly just a transition for Ill and Rio

Rio = Spanish for river. Not sure how much Spanish GRRM knows, but we have the Rio Grande as the US/Mexico border, so I think rio = river is something most non-Spanish speaking Americans know.

Archived