Dissecting Names

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

17 hours ago, Julia H. said:

I fully expect a kiss in connection with his coming back to life.  

I just hope the kiss will not come from the wrong person. 

It will be Selyse; Stabbis is AA so Selyse, his wife, is Nissa Nissa

Jon is slender and many people are described as "Slender as a sword", so Jon is a, correctipn, is the sword that neds to be tempered. Selyse will give her the kiss and die.

Since Jon is snow white the prince and not the princess, it won't be the princess charming on a horse that will revive him and live happily after with him, not that Val rides a white horse anyway, hers is a shaggy gray horse. It will be the ugly queen and instead of trying to take his life, she will give her life in exchange for his.

wow I think it actually holds some water I may put these in outlandiah theories:P

53 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

It will be Selyse; Stabbis is AA so Selyse, his wife, is Nissa Nissa

Jon is slender and many people are described as "Slender as a sword", so Jon is a, correctipn, is the sword that neds to be tempered. Selyse will give her the kiss and die.

Since Jon is snow white the prince and not the princess, it won't be the princess charming on a horse that will revive him and live happily after with him, not that Val rides a white horse anyway, hers is a shaggy gray horse. It will be the ugly queen and instead of trying to take his life, she will give her life in exchange for his.

wow I think it actually holds some water I may put these in outlandiah theories:P

I have other candidates for a kisser role :)

Melisandre, Val, Ghost, Satin, Tormund, Morna (this one already kissed him once, and did offered more - "The warrior witch Morna removed her weirwood mask just long enough to kiss his gloved hand and swear to be his man or his woman, whichever he preferred.")

Morna - from Portuguese - warm.

Roose - from Estonian - roses. If this guy is a rose, then it's a very thorny and ugly one.

Shireen - from Japanese しれ えん (Shire en) - crowd.

Luwin - from Javanese - loose.

Marwyn - from Welsh - marry.

I have a theory, that it was maester Marwyn, who married Rhaegar and Lyanna. And he also helped Dany to deliver Rhaego. So maybe he also was in the Tower of Joy, when Jon was born. And Faceless Man went to Citadel, and got into Marwyn's close circle, because they are looking information about the promised Prince.

Pyat Pree - Pripyat - from Ukrainian Припять - it's a poisonous/radioactive river near city Chernobyl, where in 80's exploded nuclear power plant.

Jhogo - from Hindi जहोगो - where.

Quhuru Mo - Ku furu mo - from Japanese くふる も - crows. This guy brought to Dany news about King Robert's death.

Mirri Maz Duur - from Dutch duur - expensive, costly. Drogo's name from Polish is also expensive.  

Jaqen = Jachin From Hebrew "He/it will establish"

H'gar = Hagar From Hebrew “stranger”

"he will establish the stranger"?

According to the Bible, Boaz and Jachin were two pillars which stood in the porch of Solomon's Temple, the first Temple in Jerusalem.  Boaz stood on the left when entering Solomon's Temple, while Jachin stood on the right.  Solomon's Temple housed the Ark of the Covenant, and Aaron's Rod (which I think is the weirwood) was in the Ark. 

Featured heavily in freemasonry:  "Jachin--the white pillar of light…Boaz--the shadowy pillar of darkness. …These two pillars respectively connote also the active and the passive…the sun and the moon…good and bad, light and darkness."

The white pillar and the black pillar parallel the white weirwoods, and the black weirwoods.

These pillars are often featured in freemason art (google Masonic tracing board, also features black and white checkerboard, and the masonic compass and square that is the sigil of the Iron Bank), and they are depicted on the tarot card the High Priestess (also called the Seer)

In Tarot, the High Priestess represents  Higher powers, mystery, subconscious mind, Hidden agendas.  The Jachin pillar represents the Magician

The High Priestess is also known as Persephone, Isis, the Corn Maiden and Artemis. She sits at the gate before the great Mystery, as indicated by the Tree of Life in the background. She sits between the darkness and the light, represented by the pillars of Solomon’s temple, which suggests it is she who is the mediator of the passage into the depth of reality. The tapestry hung between the pillars keeps the casual onlookers out and allows only those initiated to enter.

In readings, the High Priestess poses a challenge to you to go deeper - to look beyond the obvious, surface situation to what is hidden and obscure.

The High Priestess guards the entrance to the weirwood (the Tree of Life), like the CoTF.  Only those initiated can enter.

The Magician is associated with the planet, Mercury and carries with it skill, logic, and intellect. The number of the Magician is one, the number of beginnings. The Magician is the bridge between the world of the spirit and the world of humanity. His right hand holds a staff raised toward the sky and his left hand points to the earth. He takes the power of the Universe and channels it through his own body and directs it to the physical plane. Above the Magician’s head is the symbol of eternity and around his waist is a snake biting its own tail, another symbol of eternity. His magical table holds all four suits of the Tarot, each of which represents one of the four primordial elements of the alchemists – earth, air, fire and water. These symbolise the appropriate use of mind, heart, body and soul in the process of manifestation. The Magician’s robe is white, symbolising the purity and innocence found in the Fool but his cloak is red, representing worldly experience and knowledge. In the bed of flowers at his feet this duality is repeated in the mix of pure white lilies and thorny red roses.

With the Magician Tarot card, you are inspired to apply skill and initiative to accomplish all your goals. You have a strong desire to begin something new, to ‘do, act, or go forth’. A ‘can-do’ attitude and strong sense of optimism will dominate a new beginning and thus the decisions that you make will have positive results.

Jaqen H'gar is the stranger, and the wanderer.  He is the earthly avatar and messenger of the weirwood.  He is one of the black and white pillars that guard the sacred temple of the weirwood.  His white magician's wand is the weirwood.  He encourages Arya to "apply skill and accomplish her goals"  He is associated with alchemists.

3 hours ago, Megorova said:

I have other candidates for a kisser role :)

Melisandre, Val, Ghost, Satin, Tormund, Morna (this one already kissed him once, and did offered more - "The warrior witch Morna removed her weirwood mask just long enough to kiss his gloved hand and swear to be his man or his woman, whichever he preferred.")

Morna - from Portuguese - warm.

Now this is what I'd like to see!

Nissa Nissa; Nisa is woman in Arabic, wiktionary also says Nisa means water in Zapotec and means drunk in Mauritian creole(it came from hindi, persian and arabic, the root in arabic may be the same as the word woman, not sure)

So, Nissa Nissa may mean water women, or water queen considering below two examples;

queen comes from kvinna, meaning woman

word for woman in turkish, "kadın", comes from katun in old turkic, which is a female ruler, or queen.

Cymer wife of the Huzor Amai, son of the last fisher queen, made his armor since her people were the first to work iron. We also know Andals learned iron working from Rhoynar, who are also said to be to first to work iron, so Cymer and Rhoynar people must be related or the same group.

I think with Amor Ahai - Huzor Amai name similarity and one killing his wife, possibly water woman/queen and the other being born from the last fisher queen(who dwelt near the inland sea) Nissa Nissa may perhaps be the Mother Rhoyne?

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:42 AM, Luddagain said:

GRRM definitely does have meaning in his names, but often I think to him more than to others.

He does use history so yes Jofrey and Sansa relate to Jeoffre and Sancia

Other names obviously have a mythological significance - Bran and Hodor are obvious and is Old Nan. The Freys too but possibly counter intuitive.

Some names sort of deliberately link to foreign parts of Europe  so Sandor and Gregor have a very Russian or Slavic feel.

He also uses Old Germanic/Saxon naming patterns so that within one family there will be Rickard and Rickon and Benjen and Benfrey and Lyanna and Lyara, Eddard and Edwyl.

My own thinking is that the MAIN characters represent Nordic or Welsh gods or heroes, so that the Celts worship the Old gods. we have Bran (Bran the Blessed), Arya (Arianwyn - welsh godess), Ned (Nudd or LLud), possibly Nay (Danu). Jaime also seems to be Nuada but it is complicated. Jon snow could well be Jack Frost

Nordic gods have suggestive names seem to by Tywin and tyrion (Tyr  god of war), Hodor (Hodr), Nan (Nanna) , Frey,

Tyrion and Tywin may have the Welsh meaning than Nordic , but anything is possible .

Hello,

Here is my interpretation...

For me Sansa comes from  Şansă. Maybe because I am from Romania and this was the first association I have ever made. That means luck, good luck, chance, chance of luck, portability and ocassion to do something.

Also, for me Val comes from Vali, short for Valentina or Vasilica. Vasilica means queen. Also it drove me to think at  the french word Basilique, with means church.

Now, I did not knew about Nissa Nissa. But after looking on-line I've found about nassa nassa ( so... one letter away... ) and that means fish trap, creel.
The anagram for nassa is Sansa. And she is half Tully... so fish trap... also she is beeing hold like a trapped fish in Cercei's fish net ( and later on Littlefinger's trap).

I don't make predictions, but maybe Sansa will be the next Nissa Nissa...  I've always belived that it will be Val, don't know why, but know I've changed my mind.... anyway...

And, in the end, talking about the other half of Sansa's parentage, the Lord Eddard Stark.... I've found this and made me go crazy.
Here is the link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_(Scottish)

GRRM was talking about Ned beeing honourable on and on... imagine my surprise when I've found this. I was wondering if he knew about it and this was his way to make a strange twist, like he usually does.

That's all for now. Please excuse my poor English.

6 minutes ago, Maria Maria said:

Now, I did not knew about Nissa Nissa. But after looking on-line I've found about nassa nassa ( so... one letter away... ) and that means fish trap, creel.
The anagram for nassa is Sansa. And she is half Tully... so fish trap... also she is beeing hold like a trapped fish in Cercei's fish net ( and later on Littlefinger's trap).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_(Scottish)

GRRM was talking about Ned beeing honourable on and on... imagine my surprise when I've found this. I was wondering if he knew about it and this was his way to make a strange twist, like he usually does.

That's all for now. Please excuse my poor English.

Nid is also a Norse term for a dishonored man.

The nassa fish trap connection is good.  A weir is also a fish trap (as in weirwood).  And fish represent knowledge in many mythologies.  One of the weirwoods main goals is to acquire new knowledge.

Continuing the names that refer to catching fish theme. 

Loki often appears in contexts that liken him to a knot on a thread. In fact, in later Icelandic usage, the common noun loki even means “knot” or “tangle.” Spiders are sometimes referred to as loki in a metaphorical sense, as their webs are compared to the fish nets (which are made from a series of knots and loops) that Loki crafts in certain surviving Viking Age myths. From all of this, the most straightforward meaning of Loki’s name would seem to be “Knot” or “Tangle.”

This proposed meaning of Loki’s name powerfully resonates with his role in Norse mythology in two ways. First, it points to his role as a maker of nets, both literal fish nets and metaphorical “nets” in the form of his cunning schemes that trap the gods in perilous situations. Second, it could indicate his being the “knot” in the otherwise straight thread of the gods and their world, the fatal flaw that ultimately brings about their demise.

Loki is the weaver of nets, and once Loki turned himself into a salmon to evade capture.  Rán, the sea goddess (similar to the Drowned God "seeks to catch and drown men in her net" and that "to give someone to the sea-goddess is to drown them.") loaned Loki her fishing net in one story.  I have been thinking he was the 3 eyed crow, but he is definitely some kind of weirwood avatar.

Garth is also a fishing trap.

This gives new meaning to the phrase weirwood net.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/álaʼ

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/yayá

I've found this. Can be interesting. I immediately thought at the valonqar prophesy.
So, yaya means older sister or brother and ala can mean hand.
Only yaya is older brother, not little brother... so...
But you can still make it work, crack pot for sure.
Both Cercei and Tyrion had a relationship with Alayaya (Cercei had her whipped , and Tyrion found her to be tall... a older brother usually is taller... so maybe this is GRRM way of a twist since Tyrion is a imp.
Plus... Tyrion was the hand....
Plus plus... Alayaya is black and Cersei's neck pale... so again, totally opposite again.

Names of Targaryen dragons:

Balerion - baleon from Basque - whale.

Meraxes from Greek - caring.

Vhagar - one of female dragons - Hagar was mother of Abraham's son Ismail, from the Bible. Hagar from Welsh - stop.

Caraxes from Galician - loads.

Tessarion from Greek - fourth.

Tyraxes from Greek - curly.

Morghul from Arabic - mooring.

My takes

Balerion - balear (Spanish) to shoot  + ion (Ion cannon?)

Meraxes - mer meaning "fantasy" as in "mermaid", and axis (latin) meaning "wagon, car, or chariot"  = "fantasy wagon"  wagon/dragon       mir is also the russian space station, and mir means "peace, world, or universe"        mer (French) sea.

Mirax was an Egyptian Christian who defected to Islam, then returned to Christianity.  "Saint Mirax was tortured, beheaded, and his body cast into the sea."  The story of Rhaenys and Meraxes parallels this.

Vhagar - vegar (Old Norse) road, or way        vagus (Latin) "wandering, rambling, strolling, or uncertain, vague"

These 3 dragons, Balerion, Meraxes, an Vhagar were Valyrian gods, and Dany named boats after them.  And their names add up to describe something like a tank.  In Seven Times Never Kill Man George refers to tanks as "powerwagons"  And in Bitterblooms, the Ice Dragon constellation is the Ice Wagon.  And in Bitterblooms Shawn thinks the Ice Wagon flies through space (transporting the dead to the afterlife).

Dragons are: flying ships, tanks, and gods, and they shoot magical flames that can melt anything.

Just stumbled on this by accident

Argyria or argyrosis is a condition caused by excessive exposure to chemical compounds of the element silver, or to silver dust. The most dramatic symptom of argyria is that the skin turns purple or purple-grey.

Targaryens have silver hair and purple eyes, and silver was used as an antibacterial, Dany thinks Targaryens are resistant to disease.

dorrea means "tower" in Basque, dorea in greek means " a (free) gift, a gift (without repayment)"  but we know there are no free gifts in ASOIAF

irri means "smile" in Basque, and "confused" in German, from the Latin "erro" meaning "I wander" (oberra means "I wander" also) Irri also sounds like "eerie"

Jhiqui

jaquir "to leave, to abandon"

xeque "(chess) check" or "a sheik" (elder religious leader  to age, grow old )

jiqui a hardwood Cuban tree

xi que Chinese "bird of happiness" or "scarcity"?

Dany's three servants add up to describe an eerie tower/tree that is a "free gift" or offers "free gifts" (think of a white van with "free candy" printed on it), is an old religious leader, that plays chess, that smiles, that wanders, and abandons people.  Sounds like weirwood to me.

danar means "damn to hell" or "damage" in Portuguese and Spanish 

denary (plural denaries)  " A small silver coin issued during the Roman Empire , the denarius"

Daenerys first name means silver coin, and her last name means silver-poisoning.  Silver is associated with the moon, purity, and it kills werewolves (wargs)

Droga means "damn!" or "drug" in Portuguese and "road or way" in German, drogo "expensive" in Polish

viserrys means "chirp, twitter" in Finnish, 

viser means "to aim at, to target" in French

viscera means "entrails or guts"

pyat means magpie in Scots.  pree means "test, sample, or taste" in Scots.  Magpies are black and white crows, who are known for stealing things, Pyat Pree tried to steal Dany's power but only got a taste.

Mormont means "wormwood" in Irish, wormwood is featured in the bible

Old Testament

Wormwood is mentioned seven times in the Hebrew Bible, always with the implication of bitterness. The word wormwood appears several times in the Old Testament, translated from the Hebrew term לענה (la'anah, which means "curse" in Hebrew).

New Testament

Wormwood is only mentioned once in the Book of Revelation: Revelation 8 verse 10. "The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter." (Rev 8:10–11)

The word "wormwood" itself sounds like a description of weirwood trees.  And it means "curse" in hebrew.  It is an asteroid or star that fell from the sky and poisoned the rivers and killed a bunch of people.

Absinthe is made from wormwood, and is supposed to have psychedelic effects (this is uncertain)--weirwood paste is a psychedelic.  Wormwood is associated with bitterness, weirwood paste is bitter.

Jor means "day" in french. 

Jorah "From the Hebrew Yorah meaning 'He has reproached'. In the Bible Jorah was a Head of Famil, one of the few that returned from the Babylonian exile."  Jorah is going to return from exile.

Hodor's name is Walder.  Wald can mean "forest" "power or authority" "force or violence" 

He is often called a giant, weirwood's are called giants.  He is a stableboy, and smells of horses, Yggdrasil is “the ash tree of the horse of Yggr" and Odin says "my horse is the gallows" gallows referring to the Yggdrasil tree that he hung himself from to gain knowledge of the runes. 

Hodor is a symbolic weirwood horse-tree that Bran rides around in.

In Norse myth Hodr kills Baldor with a mistletoe arrow, mistletoe was sacred in the Druid religion. 

The Ritual of Oak and Mistletoe

The druids – that is what they call their magicians – hold nothing more sacred than the mistletoe and a tree on which it is growing, provided it is a hard-timbered oak [robur].... Mistletoe is rare and when found it is gathered with great ceremony, and particularly on the sixth day of the moon.... Hailing the moon in a native word that means 'healing all things,' they prepare a ritual sacrifice and banquet beneath a tree and bring up two white bulls, whose horns are bound for the first time on this occasion. A priest arrayed in white vestments climbs the tree and, with a golden sickle, cuts down the mistletoe, which is caught in a white cloak. Then finally they kill the victims, praying to a god to render his gift propitious to those on whom he has bestowed it. They believe that mistletoe given in drink will impart fertility to any animal that is barren and that it is an antidote to all poisons.

Sacrifice in front of a sacred tree.

Then, as he watched, a bearded man forced a captive down onto his knees before the heart tree. A white-haired woman stepped toward them through a drift of dark red leaves, a bronze sickle in her hand.

"No," said Bran, "no, don't," but they could not hear him, no more than his father had. The woman grabbed the captive by the hair, hooked the sickle round his throat, and slashed. And through the mist of centuries the broken boy could only watch as the man's feet drummed against the earth … but as his life flowed out of him in a red tide, Brandon Stark could taste the blood.

Mistletoe is a parasitic plant that feeds off of the nutrients of the host tree.  It is spread from tree to tree by birds who eat the fruits and wipe the sticky seeds on tree branches (viscin-- Visenya?)  The sticky syrup by people is also used to catch birds, they smear it on a branch and the bird gets stuck in it.  The latin for mistletoe is Viscum album, "white guts"

Mistletoe is weirwood.

Archived