Yay! Countries! Yay! Humans!

Sivin

Upbeat thread. What do you like about people and their cultures?

I'm going down a Youtube rabbit hole on Buzzfeed videos where Americans and Australians taste each others' cultural quirks. Snacks, drinks, advertising, etc... It's great, and it just cheered me up that a bunch of people had nice things to say about other people's differences. 

So I love that Australia seems like such a cool place and the people there have such awesome accents. Where British accents travel on a scale from untrustworty to indignant, Australian accents range heroic to extremely heroic. 

I also loved how sophisticated and clean it looked in Sydney when I watched the Mary Kate & Ashley movie where they went into the witness protection, and that Kangaroo Jack was shot there. I love that they protect the rest of our species from the horrific beasts that constantly try to sortie out of that desert hellscape. 

But most of all, I love that Austrailia gave us @karaddin and @brook and any other boarders from the land down under. 

The general cleanliness of Sydney in comparison to a comparably sized American city was something that stood out to me when I visited there as well.  Also some very kind BwB people and a killer meal of Malaysian food that I still think about sometimes.  

For another type of cultural exchange, and also in the YouTube vein, last week I stumbled upon a channel where these two black dudes do a listen and react/review to all kinds of different music that is outside of thier hip hop comfort zone.  Most of the videos that they’ve done as far as I can tell were older metal.  The War Pigs one had me giggling and they both loved it, though Slayer’s Raining Blood was a bit much for them (which I can understand).

On 11/21/2017 at 1:33 AM, WinterFox said:

Upbeat thread. What do you like about people and their cultures?

I'm going down a Youtube rabbit hole on Buzzfeed videos where Americans and Australians taste each others' cultural quirks. Snacks, drinks, advertising, etc... It's great, and it just cheered me up that a bunch of people had nice things to say about other people's differences. 

So I love that Australia seems like such a cool place and the people there have such awesome accents. Where British accents travel on a scale from untrustworty to indignant, Australian accents range heroic to extremely heroic...

Upbeat thread that puts down the British accent. Good going :/

On 21/11/2017 at 6:22 AM, S John said:

For another type of cultural exchange, and also in the YouTube vein, last week I stumbled upon a channel where these two black dudes do a listen and react/review to all kinds of different music that is outside of thier hip hop comfort zone.  Most of the videos that they’ve done as far as I can tell were older metal.  The War Pigs one had me giggling and they both loved it, though Slayer’s Raining Blood was a bit much for them (which I can understand).

Lost in Vegas? I also stumbled upon them recently (I was following my guilty pleasure genre of 'Americans-react-to-grime', but unlike most reaction videos they actually do something interesting so I stuck around a bit).

On 11/21/2017 at 0:33 PM, WinterFox said:

But most of all, I love that Austrailia gave us @karaddin and @brook and any other boarders from the land down under. 

Aww :wub:

I would like to thank New Zealand for gifting the world Sam Neill's twitter account and also letting us add their best bird poll to the list of things Australia has stolen off them.

8 hours ago, Chaldanya said:

Upbeat thread that puts down the British accent. Good going :/

8 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

:( I was about to wonder if I'm untrustworthy or indignant sounding lol 

I don't think either :lol: if anything a lot of brits sound quite inherently apologetic lol

Don't worry! Let me beat up this thread (wait... that didn't come out quite right) by putting forth the fact that I absolutely love British accents. More than any other accent, and it isn't even close. It's so titillating. Like having my ears tickled (in that rare, pleasant way) by pure aural joy. 

Once I got off the bus in some random rural village in Samoa.  I had almost zero contacts in the country at the time.  Kids met me off the bus and informed me there was no other bus until the next afternoon and the only person in the village with a car had been away for a month.  I became a bit nervous at first, but then the kids took me to the pastor's house where the pastor's wife began to organize the village to show me some amazing hospitality for several days.  It was unforgettable.  I was later able to repay them for what I'm sure was a very expensive visit by some random traveler.  One of the kids still emails me a couple times a year.

I had a somewhat similar experience in rural Vietnam.  I'd rented a scooter and decided to just scoot around the country.  I got lost trying to take an off-the-beaten-path road and ended up in a time warp mountain village.  Again, was taken in by the residents who lived there, fed, given a place to rest for the night and food to carry on the next day along with directions for some sights to see.  (Yes, I compensated the best I could for what was given to me).  

I generally can't stand other people, but I often find I have some amazing Yay! Humans! moments when traveling.  I'm always most humbled by those who have so little when it comes to material goods yet give so much to random strangers who clearly have so much more. 

8 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

Don't worry! Let me beat up this thread (wait... that didn't come out quite right) by putting forth the fact that I absolutely love British accents. More than any other accent, and it isn't even close. It's so titillating. Like having my ears tickled (in that rare, pleasant way) by pure aural joy. 

honest to god I thought you said anal and that was an interesting mental image :D

I work with colleagues from all over the world, both in my office and in our regional offices scattered globally, and 95% of the time, getting to know my international workmates is a delight. I love hearing all your different languages, I love seeing all your different cultures, and I adore seeing how similar everyone really is when it comes down to it. Particular shoutout to the lovely people I know from Norway, Canada, Lebanon, Kenya, Senegal, Taiwan and the Netherlands. 

The other 5% of the time, I'm dealing with people from two particular offices that will remain nameless and cause me to swear at my computer screen, but yay to the 95%!

9 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

Sounds like you need to watch some asmr from Brits :P

I've traveled through Europe quite a bit and I must say that nowhere outside my own group of friends in Serbia have I felt among my own as I did in Lisbon, Portugal.

If you asked me to put my finger on what made me feel that way I wouldn't know the answer but the overall experience felt like I was home away from home.

On 11/22/2017 at 2:48 PM, polishgenius said:

Lost in Vegas? I also stumbled upon them recently (I was following my guilty pleasure genre of 'Americans-react-to-grime', but unlike most reaction videos they actually do something interesting so I stuck around a bit).

Yep that’s them, couldn’t think of the name when I posted earlier.  I don’t think it’s something I’m going to follow religiously but I thought it was a cool idea and I appreciate that they are doing it out of open-minded curiosity and aren’t out to shit on anything.

Archived