NBA 2017 - 18: A Shot at Parity

Relic

13 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

On my industry side, I know multiple people who served him (or LaLa. Universally loathed as an awful person by every industry staffer I know) and disliked him....

Fuck Carmelo Anthony. 2am rant over.

Is Carmello a bad tipper?  C'mon, everyone loves hearing stories about rude celebrities.

Nothing super dramatic, alas. Cocktail waitress at a club said he and his group were just over the top rude and left 10%. Bartender said he was shitty about not doing bottle service at that spot, which was basically a pub and no one would ever ask for bottle service. Art dealer said Melo said every thing he had was shit, but LaLa wanted something "flashy", then offered a third of the price, pushing that he deserved it for his celebrity status. Little shit like that makes asshole crotchety bartenders like me hold an unnecessary grudge. 

That said, I've gotten to meet a ton of "people", and there's just as wide a range from dickhead to favorite regular as there is for non-famous people. Melo is only like a 20/100, nothing shocking. :D

4 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Art dealer said Melo said every thing he had was shit, but LaLa wanted something "flashy", then offered a third of the price, pushing that he deserved it for his celebrity status. 

Lol, I imagine her chewing bubble gum while asking for something flashy.  

And tipping 10% is selfish and rude.  But when a millionaire does it, it's just plain egregious.  

On 11/29/2017 at 8:24 AM, Argonath Diver said:

Fuck Carmelo Anthony. 2am rant over.

Sigh. As a life long Knick fan, and someone who used to have regular seats for playoff games at the Garden, I just can't agree with this statement. It isnt really Melo's fault that the organization is absolutely atrocious. The one year they put together an actual team around Melo and Stat the Knicks won 56 games. 

Anyway, that being said, I'm glad he's gone and we're finally fucking rebuilding. Should have done this years ago. In 2002, 2008, 2010, and 2014.

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

Sigh. As a life long Knick fan, and someone who used to have regular seats for playoff games at the Garden, I just can't agree with this statement. It isnt really Melo's fault that the organization is absolutely atrocious. The one year they put together an actual team around Melo and Stat the Knicks won 56 games. 

Anyway, that being said, I'm glad he's gone and we're finally fucking rebuilding. Should have done this years ago. In 2002, 2008, 2010, and 2014.

Yeah, the real problem was that they rode Stat until he broke, and Melo just isn't good enough to be the best player on a great team.  A good team, sure, in his prime, but not a team that has anything other than second round aspirations.  

I think the issue is that everyone always tried to sell him like he was a superstar, but he wasn't.  He was a tier two or tier three guy.  There's nothing wrong with that.  Unfortunately for Melo, he never got to be the second or third best player on a team until now, and now it's too late to matter.

He's a lot like Love, but unlike Love he never got to be the third best guy and win.

Although, to be fair, we know now that Love was willing to take the role of the third best guy, at least after a year of adjusting to it.  We don't know if Melo would have been willing to do that when it mattered.

It’s crazy to look back and remember that there was a debate between who would be better, LeBron or Melo.

Equally crazy, how the hell did Detroit pass on Melo? That team could have been a juggernaut for several years.

54 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Equally crazy, how the hell did Detroit pass on Melo? That team could have been a juggernaut for several years.

Because they decided to go with the great Darko Miličić. :lol: 

Seriously, that draft pick still confuses me. Not only was Milčić picked ahead of Anthony, but ahead of Wade and Bosh as well. :blink: 

I'm shocked every time I think how much talent and how great an opportunity that guy wasted.

22 minutes ago, baxus said:

Because they decided to go with the great Darko Miličić. :lol: 

Seriously, that draft pick still confuses me. Not only was Milčić picked ahead of Anthony, but ahead of Wade and Bosh as well. :blink: 

I'm shocked every time I think how much talent and how great an opportunity that guy wasted.

Seriously. That draft’s top five had four future Hall of Famers, two of which are going to be legendary players, and one massive bust. Detroit clearly drew the short straw.

Have you seen the 30 for 30 on Darko? It’s pretty revealing why he failed as a pro.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Seriously. That draft’s top five had four future Hall of Famers, two of which are going to be legendary players, and one massive bust. Detroit clearly drew the short straw.

Have you seen the 30 for 30 on Darko? It’s pretty revealing why he failed as a pro.

What were the reasons?

41 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

What were the reasons?

Well there were a lot of them, but the primary one seemed to be that he was a raging alcoholic. He was went he got into the league, and it only got worse once he started to really struggle. And he had serious anger issues. Long story short he just was built mentally to be a professional athlete. He’s at peace now though. He’s a fairly successful farmer (I can’t remember what he grows though. Some type of fruit).

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well there were a lot of them, but the primary one seemed to be that he was a raging alcoholic. He was went he got into the league, and it only got worse once he started to really struggle. And he had serious anger issues. Long story short he just was built mentally to be a professional athlete. He’s at peace now though. He’s a fairly successful farmer (I can’t remember what he grows though. Some type of fruit).

Apples, but he's about to expand into growing cherries, because that's where the big bucks are.

I had to Google him after your post and found this fascinating article about his current life:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/20211833/nba-bust-darko-milicic-finds-success-back-home-serbia

11 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Apples, but he's about to expand into growing cherries, because that's where the big bucks are.

Love it. Cleveland drafted the 2nd-3rd best player of all time with the 1st pick. Detroit got a sick apple farmer with cherry growing upside with the 2nd. 

Really depends what you're looking for. 

44 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I had to Google him after your post and found this fascinating article about his current life:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/20211833/nba-bust-darko-milicic-finds-success-back-home-serbia

I remembered the cherries part, but I couldn’t recall if his main crop was apples, plums or pears. Thanks.

Also, I can second the article as a very good read. It’s what got me to watch the 30 for 30. ESPN can be hit or miss on a lot of their projects, but the player profiles are almost always great.

25 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Love it. Cleveland drafted the 2nd-3rd best player of all time with the 1st pick. Detroit got a sick apple farmer with cherry growing upside with the 2nd. 

Really depends what you're looking for. 

Is Wade top 25? He declined a little too early, but there was a point in time where it looked like he was going to turn into the best player in the NBA. I mean, peak Wade was probably better than peak Kobe, for example.

1 minute ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Methinks my lemon joke went unnoticed.

No, I liked it.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is Wade top 25? He declined a little too early, but there was a point in time where it looked like he was going to turn into the best player in the NBA. I mean, peak Wade was probably better than peak Kobe, for example.

25 seems about right, give or take.  His first ten years in the league (2004-2013) were really great.  He was the best player on a championship team (2006), the second best player on another one (2012) and the third best in 2013. 

Archived