NBA 2017 - 18: A Shot at Parity

Relic

4 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

It's fun Lebron drafted both Durant and Kyrie. Keep your enemies close kinda deal.

But what's better is Lebron has all bigs as his starters with the exception of Kyrie. So which two among Steph, Harden and Derozan will cover 2 of Lebron, Durant, Cousins and Davis? I guess it'll be Derozan on Lebron and Harden on Durant. But fuck, post the little guys up endlessly for the first 5 minutes. 

I'm just impressed that Steph somehow managed to end up with both of the worst starters and the worst reserve.  Not even sure how that's possible.

13 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

More like "beyond useless stat". Three-pointers were not as big a deal back then, this is in no way impressive. You have done this in the past where you said that Curry had more 3s in a single season than Bird did in his entire career.

It is irrelevant.

Both stats are relevant because they highlight how much the game has changed over the last few decades.

Also, how long did it take you to find that old post?

:P

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Both stats are relevant because they highlight how much the game has changed over the last few decades.

Also, how long did it take you to find that old post?

:P

Literally a minute. Having a strong memory + google helps a lot.

21 hours ago, Jaime L said:

It's fun Lebron drafted both Durant and Kyrie. Keep your enemies close kinda deal.

But what's better is Lebron has all bigs as his starters with the exception of Kyrie. So which two among Steph, Harden and Derozan will cover 2 of Lebron, Durant, Cousins and Davis? I guess it'll be Derozan on Lebron and Harden on Durant. But fuck, post the little guys up endlessly for the first 5 minutes. 

Curry will have to immediately sub in Butler and KAT. He Has to combat that lineup with Curry/Jimmy/Giannis/KAT/Embiid. 

38 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Woj just tweeted a few minutes ago that it's torn.  Sucks, I really wanted to see the Pelicans play spoiler in the playoffs.

...So does LeBron Adam Silver pick Drummond for his All-Star replacement?

It'll have to be someone from the Western Conference, I'd imagine.

Also, this is why it was dumb to draft the teams so early.  Should have made it into a TV special a couple of days before the game where they have to pick the teams on live TV.

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Blake Griffin to the Pistons for Harris, Bradley, Bobon & picks. Out of nowhere, done deal.

Wow. Poor guy. I know for a fact that a big part of the reason he re-signed in LA was that he wanted to stay living out there. Wonder if he could tank the deal by saying he'd refuse to play for the Pistons?

Ugh, @Maithanet, John Wall out 6-8 weeks to have his knee cleaned out. He'd already missed time earlier in the season and even when he's played he hasn't fully been himself. The whole thing is depressing. Like Derrick Rose, he's a guy who needs his full athleticism to be a star in the league. His knee injuries don't appear as dire...but still pretty concerning. 

Have to say I've been pretty frustrated with this season. Beal and Oubre have made mini-leaps but it doesn't offset Wall not being the same guy and Gortat apparently passing away in the offseason and no-one realizing it.  Incredibly this team has $33m tied up at the center position...when their best lineups feature no traditional center. They've been saving the potentially killer Wall, Beal, Porter, Oubre, Morris lineup for the playoff but starting to get concerned they might not even make it. 16 of the next 20 games are against playoff teams....and again no Wall. They're only 4.5 games ahead of the 9th place Pistons who now have Griffin. 

How are you feeling about things? 

26 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Ugh, @Maithanet, John Wall out 6-8 weeks to have his knee cleaned out. He'd already missed time earlier in the season and even when he's played he hasn't fully been himself. The whole thing is depressing. Like Derrick Rose, he's a guy who needs his full athleticism to be a star in the league. His knee injuries don't appear as dire...but still pretty concerning. 

Have to say I've been pretty frustrated with this season. Beal and Oubre have made mini-leaps but it doesn't offset Wall not being the same guy and Gortat apparently passing away in the offseason and no-one realizing it.  Incredibly this team has $33m tied up at the center position...when their best lineups feature no traditional center. They've been saving the potentially killer Wall, Beal, Porter, Oubre, Morris lineup for the playoff but starting to get concerned they might not even make it. 16 of the next 20 games are against playoff teams....and again no Wall. They're only 4.5 games ahead of the 9th place Pistons who now have Griffin. 

How are you feeling about things? 

It's very disappointing.  I feel like it's been one step forward and one step back for this team since 2014.  Hopefully Wall can get back to being himself.  I think that they'll make the playoffs, just because the competition for the last couple of spots doesn't scare me.  Once they're in the playoffs, who knows, but my expectations are not high. 

12 hours ago, Relic said:

The Clippers are so fucking lucky to get this trade done. Wow. 

I feel like this is a trade where you can say that both teams won and lost the trade all at the same time. The pistons got better, but still not good enough to matter and they got Blake's awful contract. LA got pennies on the dollar and will not be bad again for a while, but they got out of Blake's awful contract.

DeAndre should probably put his house up on the market. 

There have been 8 50+ point games in the NBA this year.

4 by James Harden, 4 by the rest of the league. Tonight his boring 60 pts topped a pedestrian triple-double. (Topped by 4 pt play for 2 pt win in game without Paul, Gordon or Ariza.)

But no biggie. Not sure I’ve ever seen a guy as almost-intentionally overlooked as Harden in terms of buzz about greatness. I get that for some it’s an aesthetic thing, but I mean....does anyone remember how this was going to be the year of the Harden Rule? But there are plenty of games left for someone...anyone...to develop momentum to get Harden overlooked at award time again. Who will it be this time?

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

There have been 8 50+ point games in the NBA this year.

4 by James Harden, 4 by the rest of the league. Tonight his boring 60 pts topped a pedestrian triple-double. (Topped by 4 pt play for 2 pt win in game without Paul, Gordon or Ariza.)

But no biggie. Not sure I’ve ever seen a guy as almost-intentionally overlooked as Harden in terms of buzz about greatness. I get that for some it’s an aesthetic thing, but I mean....does anyone remember how this was going to be the year of the Harden Rule? But there are plenty of games left for someone...anyone...to develop momentum to get Harden overlooked at award time again. Who will it be this time?

Someone who plays defence?

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I feel like this is a trade where you can say that both teams won and lost the trade all at the same time. The pistons got better, but still not good enough to matter and they got Blake's awful contract. LA got pennies on the dollar and will not be bad again for a while, but they got out of Blake's awful contract.

DeAndre should probably put his house up on the market. 

Fair enough,  but I would hate to be the team paying Blake 35 million in three years. 

Archived