How prepared are you for a disaster?

zelticgar

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Goats also have the advantage that they can be used somewhat as pack/burden animals; they pull sleds and the like, or can be taught to. 

And two eggs is really nothing compared to half a gallon of milk every day, as far as food goes. 

My wife was a goat farmer and breeder, knows a ton about farming and agriculture and husbandry, and can shoot. My disaster plan is making her so happy with me that she'll want to keep me alive.

Sounds like you are sorted then. Interesting, about goats. Never knew that.

49 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

We don't even have a working car atm. We are seriously screwed for anything more than a few days of no power. Not only that, we lose our water when we lose our power here. In my old home we were on well water, we lost power there we still had water, as long as we had gas we had hot water.

If it's a disaster on a scale of lasting more than a few days but is not the apocalypse the best plan we have is find a way to bug out to a shelter/hotel. If it is the apocalypse and the first few hours don't take us out then the plan is use our firearm to take us out of the equation, let the better prepared survivors have whatever resources we would have used.

I think you are in the majority. At least you have a gun for some sort of self protection. I think about where my parents live in Florida. It is a planned community full of elderly people who are generally unhealthy but still mobile. If disaster strikes they are the full mercy of the government to come in and save them.

I'm not willing to gamble my life or my immediate family's life on the federal government. I'd much rather have a month or two buffer to survive on my own without having to rely on anything. At some point my health will deteriorate and I'll be at the mercy of others goodwill to survive but for now I'd rather control my own destiny. 

I was just having this conversation with my dad who is ex RAF and I said people always bring it up and how they have guns and he said; what are they going to DO with those guns? 

Chickens and goats and a small garden is probably gonna be a good idea. 

Bare in mind I'm in UK here so what the heck am I going to hunt!?

I'd probably not last long. I don' think it would take me too long (WITH PROPER FOOD) to reach peak physical health but then what? I lose my glasses or they break and I'm fucked 

What kind of disaster are you talking about as well? Nuclear war? What????

This is way too vague 

8 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I was just having this conversation with my dad who is ex RAF and I said people always bring it up and how they have guns and he said; what are they going to DO with those guns? 

Chickens and goats and a small garden is probably gonna be a good idea. 

Bare in mind I'm in UK here so what the heck am I going to hunt!?

I'd probably not last long. I don' think it would take me too long (WITH PROPER FOOD) to reach peak physical health but then what? I lose my glasses or they break and I'm fucked 

What kind of disaster are you talking about as well? Nuclear war? What????

This is way too vague 

lets pretend the UK gets hit by two rogue atlantic hurricanes in short order (unlikely but pretend). Power is out, roads are blocked, flooding is out of control and food and gas deliveries are delayed. You have to survive on your own for 3 weeks. No gas station, no groceries, no working electric or water. 

Regarding weapons - The gun is not there to hunt, it is basically there so that your stuff remains your stuff. 

3 minutes ago, zelticgar said:

lets pretend the UK gets hit by two rogue atlantic hurricanes in short order (unlikely but pretend). Power is out, roads are blocked, flooding is out of control and food and gas deliveries are delayed. You have to survive on your own for 3 weeks. No gas station, no groceries, no working electric or water. 

Regarding weapons - The gun is not there to hunt, it is basically there so that your stuff remains your stuff. 

I don't think many people in the UK live so isolated they would have to live on their own for three whole weeks.

2 minutes ago, zelticgar said:

I have this ridiculous impression - totally unfounded and unrealistic, but I have it nonetheless for some unknown reason - that countries like the UK, the Scandinavian countries and the like just pull together like one big happy family, similar to these visions we are given of how they just got on with it during Hitler's aerial bombing of London. You know, no looting, just a bunch of villagers helping each other out because they are neighbours and all.

The funny thing is, I have lived in London for a number of years, and should therefore know better, but I still have this picture of the English countryside filled with good, trustworthy country folk in my mind when I think of Britain.

Anyway, this was simply a rambling attempt to try and justify why Theda in Wales would not need a gun in an emergency. I didn't even end up convincing myself, so I doubt I got even halfway to convincing you.

I always keep some non-perishables and bottled water around, and I think I have some water purification tablets? It's not much but in the event of a bigger catastrophe than that can handle plus the inability of the state or federal government to step in with assistance, I assume I would just be dead.

Just now, Free Northman Reborn said:

I have this ridiculous impression - totally unfounded and unrealistic, but I have it nonetheless for some unknown reason - that countries like the UK, the Scandinavian countries and the like just pull together like one big happy family, similar to these visions we are given of how they just got on with it during Hitler's aerial bombing of London. You know, no looting, just a bunch of villagers helping each other out because they are neighbours and all.

The funny thing is, I have lived in London for a number of years, and should therefore know better, but I still have this picture of the English countryside filled with good, trustworthy country folk in my mind when I think of Britain.

Anyway, this was simply a rambling attempt to try and justify why Theda in Wales would not need a gun in an emergency. I didn't even end up convincing myself, so I doubt I got even halfway to convincing you.

You are not wrong in your impressions. Joe Rogan had a recent podcast where he talked about this dynamic. I believe it was the episode with Sebastian Junger. In times of great trouble and stress, connecting with the surrounding community becomes the most critical need. Often times people who go through great stress look back at these times with great fondness and struggle to find ways to relive it. You see this with soldiers re-upping to go into war zones for example. I suspect your theory is solid based on past examples that you cited above but in some nations geography is more challenging. Survival ability with no reliance on modern tech becomes a reasonable insurance policy in those cases. 

1 hour ago, Hereward said:

I have an emergency box of tea bags* and a packet of digestive biscuits hidden in my study. I'm all sorted.

* I know, but in the event of a major disaster, loose tea might look like an extravagance.

But... what about the whisky?

At least tell me you have a decent 18 year old single malt in a hip flask or something.

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Duh, the guns are there to shoot the zombies.

For the zombies, you're better off with a decent melee weapon. Sword, mace, axe, something like that. Even better, a pollaxe.

I am a millwright. I can build or fix anything and since I grew up on a farm, I am also able to grow food. As for weaponry, I know a bit of blacksmithing and can shoot accurately also. High school in Canada back in the day had an Army Cadet Corp where I earned my Crossed Rifles and Crown marksman badge.

Disaster? I laugh at disaster. Ha ha ha.

10 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I am a millwright. I can build or fix anything and since I grew up on a farm, I am also able to grow food. As for weaponry, I know a bit of blacksmithing and can shoot accurately also. High school in Canada back in the day had an Army Cadet Corp where I earned my Crossed Rifles and Crown marksman badge.

Disaster? I laugh at disaster. Ha ha ha.

Total badass! 

We (my family) grow a lot of our own vegetables. 

We often have LOTS AND LOTS of veggies lying around. We might be okay for a few weeks. 

Why would I need a gun? None of my neighbors are going to try and steal from me and even if they did they arent going to have a gun or any weapons.

You know it's quite a rosy view but I can imagine my neighbours bandig together actually. We all get along really well. My neighbours also grow their own vegetables and lots of different ones to my family so we trade and swap a lot. 

Water would be a lot more difficult but I live in the country and could find a stream to drink from relatively easily? ?

Archived