Marvel and Hulu's Runaways

Bastard of Boston

Anyone watching the show? First three episodes premiered yesterday. I signed up for Hulu just to watch. Runaways is an amazing comic series that helped get me back into comics as an adult, written by Brian K Vaughan.

I'm loving the show. I can't decide whether I'm enjoying the cast of young actors or the parents more, and I don't remember ever being as interested in the adults in the comics. The producers of this show are doing a stellar job fleshing them out, and overall, the changes they've made for the purposes of adaptation have been really working for me.

For readers of the comics, here's a great interview with the showrunners, where they unpack their approach to adapting the series.

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/runaways-spoilers-josh-schwartz-stephanie-savage-marvel-hulu/

I haven't read the comics, though I've been meaning to for some time. But I really liked these first 3 episodes. The characters are all well fleshed out and interesting, the cast is good, the story interesting, and the musical choices are also very good. I like that they've given the parents a POV as well, so they aren't just one-dimensional bad guys.

I watched the first episode and it's clear we're supposed to watch the first 3 episodes of the show in one block because that first episode was like watching an episode of Dawson's creek/the OC or any other american teen drama. I think a lot of "marvel fans" would be left wondering whether it really was a superhero show and may have given up.

That said it was a good teen drama show or the characters appear to have interesting voices/backgrounds. I'll give 2 and 3 a shot as it'd be nice to see some powers being used. It might turn out to be a little too teen oriented for me but I won't begrudge them for doing that as teens deserve some good shows too. It sounds like the focus on the parents might be able to keep me on board.

It certainly feels unique in terms of approach giving Hulu their own show rather than it feeling like a netflix or ABC product.

• 1 month later...

Finished this, I thought it was just ok. It felt so disconnected from the other Marvel stuff. I don't even think we got a mention that superheros were a thing. So it just seemed kinda weird when like a dinosaur would show up and people would just roll with it. Or the weird fist lasers. 

I also don't understand why the thugs harassing Destiny in the first episode seemed to know the church of gibborum was bad news ("she would have been safer with us") when nobody else seems to.

And did I miss something or does Alex not have a power/advanced technology/dinosaur?  He just gets a gun? 

39 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Finished this, I thought it was just ok. It felt so disconnected from the other Marvel stuff. I don't even think we got a mention that superheros were a thing. So it just seemed kinda weird when like a dinosaur would show up and people would just roll with it. Or the weird fist lasers. 

I also don't understand why the thugs harassing Destiny in the first episode seemed to know the church of gibborum was bad news ("she would have been safer with us") when nobody else seems to.

And did I miss something or does Alex not have a power/advanced technology/dinosaur?  He just gets a gun? 

I didn;t read these comics.... but I'm pretty sure that Alex is the only one without a power, or a gadget

I liked it, but I thought it lost steam towards the end. I enjoyed the decompressed way they were telling the story at the start because it meant a beefed up role for the parents. The parents, I felt, were the true stars of the series. However, nothing significant happened this season. The season finale didn't feel like a season finale. I read the comics, so I have some theories on why they're stringing this out. And while I was okay with the idea before the season finale, they are just holding on too tightly to some of these reveals.

I enjoyed it overall, but the show couldn't decide on a point of view, and lost focus and steam as a result. 

Starting from the POV of the kids worked, because we were along for the ride regards what their parents do in PRIDE. But then they kept jumping to the parents' perspective. While showing both sides humanized the parents, making the viewer more knowledgeable than the the kids sucked most of the tension out of the mystery. The character building wasn't strong enough to carry the rest on its own.

That said, I'll probably tune in for the next season, if we still have Hulu.

Archived