What Are Your Favorite Science Fiction Films ?

GAROVORKIN

2 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

The book Starship Troopers is a favorite of mine as to Verhoeven film, I dislike it immensely and parts 2  and 3. Part 4 Invasion is decent.  I do recommend the CGI tv series  Roughneck Starship Trooper Chronicles.   

Man in the High Castle   I've not seen . The book , I liked up until the ending which I hated. 

Dune Looks visually impressive but I agree you cannot do justice to it in 2 hour format.  It might have worker as 3 films but the studoious would never have got of that .

I was under the impression that 2001 A Space Odyssey book  was a novelization of the Kubrick film which was actaullbased on his 1945 Short Story The Sentinel.

i read  Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and seen the Blade Runner ,  I did note a few of the differences.  I liked both.

I happen to know the executor of Heinlein literary estate. He says a lot of options have been taken on Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress , someone seems to be doing that but it still seems in development , has been for a long time, Have Space Suit , but that also in listed in development , the guy who has done the Fast and Furious movies wants to remake Star Ship Troopers, he should have the money! but where it goes from there ?  Only the short story All You Zombies got made as a smart gem of a film called Predestination.

Odd thing about Man in a High Castle , the series takes all the stuff Dick describes , but is off page, and puts in on stage , especially the story in the Nazi controlled Eastern USA , they make a fascinating story out of that!

It is true , up front, Clarke did sell The Sentinel as a source. However Clarke wrote the novel in 1965 taking it to Kubrick every day and have him 'doctor' it, while Kubrick wrote the screenplay (which one can find online).  Roger Caras who helped run Kubrick's company in the 1960's reported that Kubrick wanted to do Childhood's End, but apparently did not try that, in The Lost Worlds of 2001 Clarke notes that Kubrick wanted elements of Childhoods End in 2001. So we got that in a super condensed form abstracted from Childhoods End right at the end of the movie. 2001 is an amalgam of a lot of thoughts and prose of Clarke.

4 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Dune Looks visually impressive but I agree you cannot do justice to it in 2 hour format.  It might have worker as 3 films but the studio would never have got of that .

One thing about Lynch's Dune, the cast, sets and costumes were just out of sight, no so much the VFX , tho the worms looked good as long as they were seen from a distance.

David Lynch has been quite wistful about that film, in recent interviews says he should not have signed on to make it. 

Guess everyone has noticed that Denis Villeneuve wants to make Dune , not so sure he will be given a chance.. Seems his next film will be Cleopatra .

I have to say that Back to the Future and Jurassic Park are my favourites. The former because it's just a fun romp that doesn't take itself too seriously, but still decides to delve into the ethics of time travel.

The latter because it has dinosaurs, it was scary when I saw it as a kid and it has always stuck with me since.

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

I have to say that Back to the Future and Jurassic Park are my favourites. The former because it's just a fun romp that doesn't take itself too seriously, but still decides to delve into the ethics of time travel.

The latter because it has dinosaurs, it was scary when I saw it as a kid and it has always stuck with me since.

All three Back to the Future films were crisp and smart movies, tho the third one was off a little.

I particularity like that the 2nd film tried to explain the time paradox problem by using a somewhat simplified approximation of Many Universe (parallel universes) cosmology. I had never seen that before, I suppose the idea has been used again , can't recall?

2 minutes ago, boojam said:

All three Back to the Future films were crisp and smart movies, tho the third one was off a little.

I particularity like that the 2nd film tried to explain the time paradox problem by using a somewhat simplified approximation of Many Universe (parallel universes) cosmology. I had never seen that before, I suppose the idea has been used again , can't recall?

Mmm... probably, but not in a way that was so easy to follow. The only bad point about Part II was that it was accurate about all of the wrong things:

People are always focused on screens, movies are now making ridiculous franchises that rehash old content, cookie-cutter housing developments with poor planning choke the cities and Biff Tannen is president of the USA.

It the Terror from Beyond Space 1958    This film writers science fiction writer Jerome Bixby is one the inspiration for the 1979 film Alien   In which crew battles a creature that is essentially a Moisture Vampire. The Monster was played  by Stuntman/actor Ray Crash Corrigan, it was also his last movie job .

Planet of the Vampires 1965.  My favorite Mario Brava film  and another film that inspired the film Alien.

The Fifth Element 1997, starring Bruce Willis, Mila Jovovich, and Gary Oldman. Visually impressive for it's time, amazing costume designs, and great performances by Willis, Oldman, and a funny performance by Chris Tucker. I've loved film since the first time I saw it as a kid. One of the more underrated sci fi films of the past 20 years.

Chronicle 2012, starring Dane DeHaan, Alex Russell, and Michael B. Jordan. It successfully mixes the super hero and found footage genres together, creating an emotional and engaging story.

3 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Master of the World  1961   with Vincent Price and  Charles Bronson  . Based on two novels by Jules Verne 

That one was ok because Price was such a good actor.

The Vern I like best is the Disney 1954 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Sharp version of that novel with quite a cast, Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Paul Lukas, and Peter Lorre.

Around the World in Eighty Days ( 1956) is also a good movie, but the whole deal does not at feel 'science fictional' actually seems kind of pedestrian.

The 1958 From Earth to the Moon is also fairly good tho I like Wells take better*

Mysterious Island (1961) is really a showcase for Ray Harryhausen , found the film narrative a bit ragged.

After that seemed film makers were a bit indifferent to Verne , at lot done , but all were kind of lack luster.

*Always thought Well's trumped Verne with his What-If science fiction , I don't think Verne could have written The Time Machine. I know it was a product of the time when he wrote , and him being a pioneer, still it mostly seemed like Popular Mechanics science fiction.

22 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

It the Terror from Beyond Space 1958    This film writers science fiction writer Jerome Bixby is one the inspiration for the 1979 film Alien   In which crew battles a creature that is essentially a Moisture Vampire. The Monster was played  by Stuntman/actor Ray Crash Corrigan, it was also his last movie job .

For some reason many don't know the connection of It the Terror from Beyond Space and Alien.... now there is a connection between It the Terror from Beyond Space and the 1951 Thing from Another World. They are all Look-out-it's-loose! movies.

(This may have started with the 1933 King Kong, by the by , could be counted as a science fiction fantasy story, what a gem that movie is!)

Ah good, this is the perfect thread to ask about this movie I can't place and see if anyone else can.

When I was a kid I remember getting up one night and my dad was watching the late movie on TV.

It looked like it was made in either 50's or 60's. It had a group of people traveling in a spaceship, maybe the whole time they were traveling in time as well as space. At one point in the movie they detect another spaceship but they can't identify it. They try communicating with it but there's no response. Most of the group want to either keep trying to communicate with it or see if they can pass by without any conflict. But one member of the group is this selfish impetuous guy and he says destroy it, when his idea is voted down he acts anyway the rest of the group tries to restrain him but he's able to fire the weapons and the ship is destroyed.

Later in the film the impetuous guy, has stolen away in the spaceship and left the others behind. But he was also traveling in time. He's in the ship and he detects this other ship, it's the same ship, only from earlier, with him and his group on it. He can't contact them for some reason but he can hear everything through his radio. He hears himself say they should destroy the ship and hears the struggle, and then he and the ship is blown up by his former self.

Anyone know what movie that was?

As for my favorite Sci-Fi films, will it's my favorite film genre so there's a lot:

My top ten on this day:

1. Back To The Future (trilogy)
  2. Star Wars (the franchise minus the prequels, Empire Strikes Back is my favorite)
  3. Star Trek (the franchise but mainly the trilogy of II, III, and IV, Wrath of Khan is my favorite)
  4. Galaxyquest
  5. Ghostbusters
  6. Transformers: The Movie (1986)
  7. The Terminator
  8. The Last Starfighter
  9. Total Recall (1990)
  10. Wall-E

I also love/like all these:

2001: A Space Odyssey

2010: Odyssey II (I appreciate the first movie as more pure art, I appreciate this movie more as pure entertainment)

Source Code

Logan's Run

Gattaca

Inception

Moon

Her

Spaceballs

Limitless

Predestination

12 Monkeys

Looper

In Time

The 5th Element

Dark City

The Running Man

Robocop (1987)

Starship Troopers

Jurassic Park

Planet of the Ape (1968)

Forbidden Planet

The Time Machine (1960)

Alien

Aliens

Pacific Rim

Tron

The Thing (1982)

A.I.

E.T.

Starman

Independence Day

Demolition Man

The Thirteenth Floor

The Matrix

Explorers

Cocoon

Contact

Equilibrium

Krull

The Black Hole

Edge of Tomorrow

Frequency

Innerspace

Serenity

4 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Ah good, this is the perfect thread to ask about this movie I can't place and see if anyone else can.

When I was a kid I remember getting up one night and my dad was watching the late movie on TV.

It looked like it was made in either 50's or 60's. It had a group of people traveling in a spaceship, maybe the whole time they were traveling in time as well as space. At one point in the movie they detect another spaceship but they can't identify it. They try communicating with it but there's no response. Most of the group want to either keep trying to communicate with it or see if they can pass by without any conflict. But one member of the group is this selfish impetuous guy and he says destroy it, when his idea is voted down he acts anyway the rest of the group tries to restrain him but he's able to fire the weapons and the ship is destroyed.

Later in the film the impetuous guy, has stolen away in the spaceship and left the others behind. But he was also traveling in time. He's in the ship and he detects this other ship, it's the same ship, only from earlier, with him and his group on it. He can't contact them for some reason but he can hear everything through his radio. He hears himself say they should destroy the ship and hears the struggle, and then he and the ship is blown up by his former self.

Anyone know what movie that was?

As for my favorite Sci-Fi films, will it's my favorite film genre so there's a lot:

My top ten on this day:

1. Back To The Future (trilogy)
  2. Star Wars (the franchise minus the prequels, Empire Strikes Back is my favorite)
  3. Star Trek (the franchise but mainly the trilogy of II, III, and IV, Wrath of Khan is my favorite)
  4. Galaxyquest
  5. Ghostbusters
  6. Transformers: The Movie (1986)
  7. The Terminator
  8. The Last Starfighter
  9. Total Recall (1990)
  10. Wall-E

I also love/like all these:

2001: A Space Odyssey

2010: Odyssey II (I appreciate the first movie as more pure art, I appreciate this movie more as pure entertainment)

Source Code

Logan's Run

Gattaca

Inception

Moon

Her

Spaceballs

Limitless

Predestination

12 Monkeys

Looper

In Time

The 5th Element

Dark City

The Running Man

Robocop (1987)

Starship Troopers

Jurassic Park

Planet of the Ape (1968)

Forbidden Planet

The Time Machine (1960)

Alien

Aliens

Pacific Rim

Tron

The Thing (1982)

A.I.

E.T.

Starman

Independence Day

Demolition Man

The Thirteenth Floor

The Matrix

Explorers

Cocoon

Contact

Equilibrium

Krull

The Black Hole

Quite a list. B)

10 hours ago, boojam said:

For some reason many don't know the connection of It the Terror from Beyond Space and Alien.... now there is a connection between It the Terror from Beyond Space and the 1951 Thing from Another World. They are all Look-out-it's-loose! movies.

(This may have started with the 1933 King Kong, by the by , could be counted as a science fiction fantasy story, what a gem that movie is!)

Another film that might influenced Alien ,  Night of The Blood Beast  1958

Archived