What Are Your Favorite Science Fiction Films ?

GAROVORKIN

On 11/28/2017 at 9:09 PM, GAROVORKIN said:

Another film that might influenced Alien ,  Night of The Blood Beast  1958

A Quatermass film shot down the LOOK OUT IT'S LOOSE cliche once. In Quatermass and the Pit after the discovery of the Martian ship the scientific team with great difficulty drill through a forward bulkhead to a crew compartment. Martians! Is it a mistake?. Will the Martians rampage? No! The dead Martians start rotting! The smell up the joint! They just dead! Going nowhere!  When I saw this scene in 1968 I slapped my knee and laughed , had been waiting for to happen in a movie for years!

On 11/28/2017 at 9:09 PM, GAROVORKIN said:

Another film that might influenced Alien ,  Night of The Blood Beast  1958

Night of the Blood Beast was one of those artless programmers from American International. 

Funny thing about AI, they had great posters. Once when Reynold Brown , their great poster artist, was at an exhibitors convention in Las Vegas an exhibitor told him "Man!, if they could only put sprocket holes in your posters and project those AI would have something!"

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/03/27/fb/0327fb16d6daf22a8c63489a9778a657--sci-fi-film-sci-fi-movies.jpg

15 hours ago, boojam said:

A Quatermass film shot down the LOOK OUT IT'S LOOSE cliche once. In Quatermass and the Pit after the discovery of the Martian ship the scientific team with great difficulty drill through a forward bulkhead to a crew compartment. Martians! Is it a mistake?. Will the Martians rampage? No! The dead Martians start rotting! The smell up the joint! They just dead! Going nowhere!  When I saw this scene in 1968 I slapped my knee and laughed , had been waiting for to happen in a movie for years!

The wall crumbing away to revel them was a nice  effect. 

A few  moments in that film stand out. Quatermas and the police office going into the abandoned house. The scratches on the wall. I always found that scene to be unsettling.  

The workman who back to the pit and into the capsule to collect his tolls and then suddenly lights go out and you bumping notices  and suddenly all hell breaks lose.

Colonel Breen standing in front of the glowing capsule in a trance slowly burning to death. 

7 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

The wall crumbing away to revel them was a nice  effect. 

A few  moments in that film stand out. Quatermas and the police office going into the abandoned house. The scratches on the wall. I always found that scene to be unsettling.  

The workman who back to the pit and into the capsule to collect his tolls and then suddenly lights go out and you bumping notices  and suddenly all hell breaks lose.

Colonel Breen standing in front of the glowing capsule in a trance slowly burning to death. 

The whole front end of that film and it's detective story about 'Hobbs End' ... 'hob' being a name for the Devil , the anthropology .... Nigel Kneale's intelligent story telling in the screenplay is the best he ever did and he always wrote smart screenplays.

2 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

The Last Starfighter.  1984 . One the best films of the 1980's and groundbreaking interns of its special effects. This a film that deserved but never got a sequel.

Hell yeah. I saw this movie in theaters when I was nine. I loved it, still do.

It was the little film that could and because so many were not expecting it to, we got a lot of heartbreaking "almosts" with it.

The film almost doubled it's budget at the box office which surpassed what people were speculating it would take in. People loved it and critics liked it enough to dub it "the best of the Star Wars rip-offs".

It almost got an arcade game as advertised in the credits at the end of the movie but then Atari abandoned the game when the execs saw the movie and decided it was going to bomb. "Last Starfighter" Atari home console games in developments were released but under the names Solaris (2600) and Star Raiders II (5200).

We almost got a toyline too. But because merchandisers predicted the film would do badly they held off until it became too late they felt to go into production.

Also, it's got a great music score by Craig Safan. It has a franchise worthy theme in the vein of Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, or Star Trek without it sadly ever becoming a franchise. If I went to the theater and a movie started and that theme began, I'd get almost as pumped as I do when the Star Wars theme begins.

In no particular order, these are some of the Sci-Fi ive enjoyed-

1968 Planet of the Apes

2001 Space Odyssey

1970's Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Contact

In Time

12 Monkeys

Inception

Ex Machina

Loopers

The Fifth Element

Stargate

The Martian

Alien/Aliens

Promethius/Covenant

Minority Report

Gattaca

Mad Max Fury Road, also the earlier one w/ Tina Turner

Blade Runner/2049

Star Trek(s)

Star War(s)

Matrix

Gravity

Interstellar

Predator

Dune

Riddick(s)

eta: I'm sure Enders Game will be an addition when I get around to seeing it.

The 80's was a great sci fi decade... Predator 1 was great... the first 2 Terminators... RoboCop... The Thing... Bladerunner... Tron... Dune... Aliens... Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi.... the abyss.... Mad Max 2... They Live.... Back to the Future...

But one movie that often gets overlooked (because its so old) is the original King Kong from 1933... really a brilliant film for its day

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

The 80's was a great sci fi decade... Predator 1 was great... the first 2 Terminators... RoboCop... The Thing... Bladerunner... Tron... Dune... Aliens... Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi.... the abyss.... Mad Max 2... They Live.... Back to the Future...

But one movie that often gets overlooked (because its so old) is the original King Kong from 1933... really a brilliant film for its day

The 1933 film is still a great film.B)

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2017 at 6:04 AM, boojam said:

The whole front end of that film and it's detective story about 'Hobbs End' ... 'hob' being a name for the Devil , the anthropology .... Nigel Kneale's intelligent story telling in the screenplay is the best he ever did and he always wrote smart screenplays.

He did the screen play for John Carpenters  Halloween Season of the Witch   but he disliked changes that were made to his script and had his name removed from the project. 

On 12/23/2017 at 10:01 PM, GAROVORKIN said:

He did the screen play for John Carpenters  Halloween Season of the Witch   but he disliked changes that wee made to his script and had his name removed from the project. 

That was an odd film, the 'Halloween' directed Tommy Lee Wallace. I don't think that Halloween is considered part of the 'Halloween' 'canon' ? Tho produced by Carpenter and Debra Hill , it almost seems they were not even around. I say that because Halloween II was 'juiced' by Carpenter because he didn't think it was violent enough! Then this III comes out and it is a bit 'arty' , never could figure it.

Lord! I don't know if there is a word for it but Halloween really fell totally into PROGRAMMER syndrome, I mean all you had to do was buy a ticket and wave that around your head and the vibes would tell you exactly what happened in the movie! 

I am bit surprised , after the strange Rob Zombie Halloweens that there have not been any others , I mean these days Hollywood will take run-it-into-the-ground to the extreme.

On 12/4/2017 at 4:09 PM, GAROVORKIN said:

Robojox   1985 another fun and underrated giant robot film .B)

I wonder what happened to Stuart Gordon? He showed promise , did stuff until the late 2000s and then just vanished.

On 12/2/2017 at 5:13 PM, GAROVORKIN said:

The Last Starfighter.  1984 . One the best films of the 1980's and groundbreaking interns of its special effects. This a film that deserved but never got a sequel.

That was perky film had supposedly there was , recently , to be a sequel , but it never happened.

Archived