U.S. Politics 2017: You Flynn Some, You Lose Some

Martell Spy

Please continue.

Trump taps Mulvaney to head CFPB, sparking confusion over agency's leadership
The announcement comes hours after outgoing Director Richard Cordray appointed Leandra English as deputy director, establishing her as his successor as he steps down.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/24/richard-cordray-successor-cfpb-leandra-english-259612?lo=ap_a1

22 minutes ago, Inigima said:

Great title.

Mick Mulvaney sucks but it's not clear to me that Cordray gets to name an acting. If Mulvaney has this role, is he no longer in his previous role?

Cordray has legal standing, as does the President. That’s why it’s going to be confusing.

Though how Mulvaney Dan run two agencies is beyond me. 

34 minutes ago, Inigima said:

Great title.

Mick Mulvaney sucks but it's not clear to me that Cordray gets to name an acting. If Mulvaney has this role, is he no longer in his previous role?

The Politico article notes;   

"Upon my departure, [English] will become the acting Director pursuant to section 1011(b)(5) of the Dodd-Frank Act," Cordray said in a note to staff.

So it looks like he did have legal standing to name English to the Directorship.  

So what are the common thoughts on what it means that Flynn's counsel has stopped sharing info with Trump's?  Some articles I've read said it's a very clear indication that Flynn is making a deal to save himself (or his son) but some say it probably doesn't mean anything.  Would both be true?  

In which Trump is mocked for his 'turned down Time's cover' tweet.

Enjoy.

“Star Wars” actor Mark Hamill tweeted that he turned down his own Time magazine honor — and even joked he agreed to leak much sought-after "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" spoilers — but doesn’t want it anymore since Trump turned down the cover.

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

So what are the common thoughts on what it means that Flynn's counsel has stopped sharing info with Trump's?  Some articles I've read said it's a very clear indication that Flynn is making a deal to save himself (or his son) but some say it probably doesn't mean anything.  Would both be true?  

It could be. Normally when this happens, it means that the lawyers believe that Flynn and those part of the joint sharing agreement have divergent interests and that tends to be when one person is cooperating. From what I understand, this could be triggered if Flynn is negotiating a deal or has a deal. If negotiating, the deal can still fall through and this might mean nothing at all. If it means he has a deal, it's probably bad news for Trump as Mueller isn't known for giving deals unless that person can give actionable information against someone higher (maybe Trump or maybe Kushner). Given that Flynn has significant criminal exposure (and maybe his son), it's safe to say he's probably angling for a deal. It's probably no coincidence that the day this story comes out, Trump has a call the next morning with Erdogan. 

35 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It could be. Normally when this happens, it means that the lawyers believe that Flynn and those part of the joint sharing agreement have divergent interests and that tends to be when one person is cooperating. From what I understand, this could be triggered if Flynn is negotiating a deal or has a deal. If negotiating, the deal can still fall through and this might mean nothing at all. If it means he has a deal, it's probably bad news for Trump as Mueller isn't known for giving deals unless that person can give actionable information against someone higher (maybe Trump or maybe Kushner). Given that Flynn has significant criminal exposure (and maybe his son), it's safe to say he's probably angling for a deal. It's probably no coincidence that the day this story comes out, Trump has a call the next morning with Erdogan. 

Why?  Is it because of Flynn's offering to give up that Turkish cleric (name eludes me right now) or to ask questions for how to take dictatorial control of one's government?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Why?  Is it because of Flynn's offering to give up that Turkish cleric (name eludes me right now) or to ask questions for how to take dictatorial control of one's government?

Most of Flynn's criminal exposure right now is tied to Turkey (kidnapping plot of Gulen, paid for lobbying of Turkish government while working for Trump). Erdogan could be wondering what type of exposure he has or if there is any connection with Zarrab, who also seems to be making a deal. 

I don't know. I'm just speculating. 

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Most of Flynn's criminal exposure right now is tied to Turkey (kidnapping plot of Gulen, paid for lobbying of Turkish government while working for Trump). Erdogan could be wondering what type of exposure he has or if there is any connection with Zarrab, who also seems to be making a deal. 

I don't know. I'm just speculating. 

That's truly criminal stuff.  If I have this right Flynn wasn't still in when Erdogan came to the White House and the Turks went off on a violent rampage -- in the US CAPITOL OF THE UNITED STATES!  Still, somehow they must have felt empowered to this from some angle, right?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/turkeys-presidential-guards-violently-clash-with-protesters-outside-embassy/2017/05/17/8420942a-3b05-11e7-9e48-c4f199710b69_story.html?

47 minutes ago, Zorral said:

That's truly criminal stuff.  If I have this right Flynn wasn't still in when Erdogan came to the White House and the Turks went off on a violent rampage -- in the US CAPITOL OF THE UNITED STATES!  Still, somehow they must have felt empowered to this from some angle, right?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/turkeys-presidential-guards-violently-clash-with-protesters-outside-embassy/2017/05/17/8420942a-3b05-11e7-9e48-c4f199710b69_story.html?

Flynn didn’t last long so yea, he was gone but Trump was never going to do anything against Erdogan. Not only does Trump admire people like Erdogan as strong, he has a big hotel (licensed name) in Istanbul which he will not fuck with. The conflict of interest issues are real. Trump has never said a disbarraging word against a country where he has a hotel. 

On a side note, sounds like in Trumps convo with Erdogan, he agreed to stop arming the Syrian Kurdish fighters. Seems like a coup for Putin and Erdogan if true. No idea if it is as the report came from the Turkish government as the US government hasn’t commented on anything about that call.

GOP insider Bruce Bartlett: “The Republican Party needs to die”
Onetime Reagan White House aide Bruce Bartlett on the media’s massive failure and his own party’s living death

https://www.salon.com/2017/11/23/gop-insider-bruce-bartlett-the-republican-party-needs-to-die/

I hope not. But I am prepared for it. Trump is clearly the most incompetent president we’ve ever had in our lives. Richard Nixon may well have been the smartest. Nixon was cursed by paranoia, and I think Trump is as well. The question then becomes: Is this incompetence a good thing or a bad thing? Is it more dangerous to have a paranoid incompetent than it was to have a highly intelligent paranoid person as president? I don’t think we can tell. When I hear Trump talk, I sometimes have this feeling that he literally had no idea what was going on in his own campaign. He can deny these allegations and be perfectly truthful in his own mind because nobody told him.

Archived