... whilst Lord Varys had the task of fostering division amongst the crown’s enemies

2 hours ago, Davos the Dragonslayer said:

It is quote from Barristan's last chapter in Dance of Dragons. Does he refer to Harrenhal tournament, Bran's assassination or something else?

There is a search site

https://asearchoficeandfire.com

It would be helpful if you would maybe would give a refresher in your post.  I dunna know for sure but aren’t there something that amounts to 950 pages in DwD?  Barry usually has his chapters/povs under a title such as The Queen’s Hand.

I’m not much interested in Stormborn so the quote doesn’t ring any bells. Interestingly it does say --- check the bolded part.

A Dance with Dragons - The Queen's Hand      "The Wise Masters do not need our gold, ser," said Marselen. "They are richer than your Westerosi lords, every one."     "Their sellswords will want the gold, though. What are the hostages to them? If the Yunkishmen refuse, it will drive a blade between them and their hirelings." Or so I hope. It had been Missandei who suggested the ploy to him. He would never have thought of such a thing himself. In King's Landing, bribes had been Littlefinger's domain, whilst Lord Varys had the task of fostering division amongst the crown's enemies. His own duties had been more straightforward. Eleven years of age, yet Missandei is as clever as half the men at this table and wiser than all of them. "I have instructed the Green Grace to present the offer only when all of the Yunkish commanders have assembled to hear it."     "They will refuse, even so," insisted Symon Stripeback. "They will say they want the dragons dead, the king restored."

I can be kinda dense sometimes. I'm not getting the Harrenhal tourney or Bran's assassination connection from that quote.

From the context, this is a memory of Selmy's from the reign of Robert (Littlefinger is mentioned). That means we are most likely talking about Varys being the one ensuring that Robert's enemies in Westeros (Martells, other Targaryen loyalists) and outside of Westeros (Viserys III) don't attack him.

Which wasn't a job he really took all that seriously, but it is quite clear that undermining the efforts of the enemies of the king was one of the more important parts of the job description of the Master of Whisperers.

I think the meaning of those words, that when Crown had enemies, it was Varys' job to secretly recruit amongst them, those that are less loyal to their masters, and will agree to change their allegiance, and work for Varys and thru him for Crown. Or to install his own people amongst enemy ranks, to send moles to enemy camp, for them to pretend being on the same side as crown's enemies.

And unlike Varys, Barristan is not as cunning, and thus wasn't capable of executing deception like that. So they were using him for a more straightforward tasks.

4 hours ago, Davos the Dragonslayer said:

Does he refer to Harrenhal tournament, Bran's assassination or something else?

He was referring in general, to what sort of work Varys and Little Finger were usually doing.

For example how Varys (or Little Finger) recruited Freys and Boltons to betray Starks <- in this case "fostered division amongst the crown’s enemies" are Freys and Boltons, and Starks are crown's enemies.

Another example of similar work done by Varys - Jorah Mormont in Dany's camp.

7 hours ago, Megorova said:

For example how Varys (or Little Finger) recruited Freys and Boltons to betray Starks <- in this case "fostered division amongst the crown’s enemies" are Freys and Boltons, and Starks are crown's enemies.

Another example of similar work done by Varys - Jorah Mormont in Dany's camp.

Barristan wasn't in KL when Tywin and Littlefinger recruited Frey and Boltons to betray Stark.

The second example is good.

9 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

"Their sellswords will want the gold, though. What are the hostages to them? If the Yunkishmen refuse, it will drive a blade between them and their hirelings." Or so I hope. It had been Missandei who suggested the ploy to him. He would never have thought of such a thing himself. In King's Landing, bribes had been Littlefinger's domain, whilst Lord Varys had the task of fostering division amongst the crown's enemies. His own duties had been more straightforward.

Oh, seems straightforward (usual for Ser Barry). Varys was the Master of Whisperers, hence deception and discord were by default his turf, just as coin was Littlefinger's. Doesn't imply that Barry had any detailed knowledge of either's doings, going behind what was divulged during the Small Council's meetings. I'm sure he in fact didn't.

5 hours ago, Davos the Dragonslayer said:

Barristan wasn't in KL when Tywin and Littlefinger recruited Frey and Boltons to betray Stark.

By thinking "In King's Landing, bribes had been Littlefinger's domain, whilst Lord Varys had the task of fostering division amongst the crown's enemies. His own duties had been more straightforward." he was referring, in general, that LF was a "buyer", and Varys was a "recruiter".

Doesn't matter whether Barristan was in KL at that time, or wasn't. That example with Red Wedding, is just an example of what kind of work LF and Varys are usually responsible for. I gave an example to you, of what "fostering division amongst the crown’s enemies" means.

15 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

From the context, this is a memory of Selmy's from the reign of Robert (Littlefinger is mentioned). That means we are most likely talking about Varys being the one ensuring that Robert's enemies in Westeros (Martells, other Targaryen loyalists) and outside of Westeros (Viserys III) don't attack him.

Which wasn't a job he really took all that seriously, but it is quite clear that undermining the efforts of the enemies of the king was one of the more important parts of the job description of the Master of Whisperers.

Maybe Varys fostered division between Golden Company and Viserys III and reported it to Robert.

I don’t know what Varys’ deal is. In little bits and pieces his incomplete back story is dribbled out ending in DwD with him (or his little birds) killing Pycelle and Keven. This is of course after Varys assisted Jaime with Tyrion’s escape.

Varys had gone missing after Tyrion’s escape. Surprise! Varys turned up in a DwD epilogue.

This is what confuses me. In hindsight I know Pycelle is a Lannister stooge even during the time of Aerys. Can someone remind me why Varys is at Aerys’ court?

A Storm of Swords - Jaime V       "My Sworn Brothers were all away, you see, but Aerys liked to keep me close. I was my father's son, so he did not trust me. He wanted me where Varys could watch me, day and night. So I heard it all." He remembered how Rossart's eyes would shine when he unrolled his maps to show where the substance must be placed. Garigus and Belis were the same. "Rhaegar met Robert on the Trident, and you know what happened there. When the word reached court, Aerys packed the queen off to Dragonstone with Prince Viserys. Princess Elia would have gone as well, but he forbade it. Somehow he had gotten it in his head that Prince Lewyn must have betrayed Rhaegar on the Trident, but he thought he could keep Dorne loyal so long as he kept Elia and Aegon by his side. The traitors want my city, I heard him tell Rossart, but I'll give them naught but ashes.

Let Robert be king over charred bones and cooked meat. The Targaryens never bury their dead, they burn them. Aerys meant to have the greatest funeral pyre of them all. Though if truth be told, I do not believe he truly expected to die. Like Aerion Brightfire before him, Aerys thought the fire would transform him . . . that he would rise again, reborn as a dragon, and turn all his enemies to ash.

"Ned Stark was racing south with Robert's van, but my father's forces reached the city first. Pycelle convinced the king that his Warden of the West had come to defend him, so he opened the gates. The one time he should have heeded Varys, and he ignored him. My father had held back from the war, brooding on all the wrongs Aerys had done him and determined that House Lannister should be on the winning side. The Trident decided him.     "It fell to me to hold the Red Keep, but I knew we were lost. I sent to Aerys asking his leave to make terms. My man came back with a royal command. 'Bring me your father's head, if you are no traitor.' Aerys would have no yielding. Lord Rossart was with him, my messenger said. I knew what that meant.

end quote

According to Jaime Varys’ advice was to not to open the gate to Tywin.

Varys and his buddy have been hiding young Griff for how many years?

All the while they have been hiding young Griff they had been keeping tabs on Stormborn.

Supposedly young Griff is her nephew since Rhaegar is her brother.

Why does Varys give two shites about Targ’s?

If I look back to Jaime’s remembrance in the above quote Jaime says, “The one time he [Aerys] should have heeded Varys, and he [Aerys] ignored him.

Why was Varys at Aerys’ court? Why does Varys care about the Targ realm?  Why did he kill Pycelle & Keven?

On it's face, the passage shows that Littlefinger was responsible for bribing, and the spider was responsible for political maneuvering and even subterfuge, but Barristan was only concernedwith guarding the king's person. But their might be a double entendre here, if it turns out that Varys has been a Blackfyre supporter since arriving in King's Landing. 

4 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

On it's face, the passage shows that Littlefinger was responsible for bribing, and the spider was responsible for political maneuvering and even subterfuge, but Barristan was only concernedwith guarding the king's person.

I agree with the above statement.

4 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

But their might be a double entendre here, if it turns out that Varys has been a Blackfyre supporter since arriving in King's Landing. 

In the past you have been helpful with me understanding the Blackfyre stuff. I thank you.

A double entendre may exploit puns to convey the second meaning. Double entendres generally rely on multiple meanings of words, or different interpretations of the same primary meaning. They often exploit ambiguity and may be used to introduce it deliberately in a text.

Martin dug his hole. I hope he knows how to get out of it.

Does anyone remember how Varys came to be at Aerys’ court?    I don’t.    

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I agree with the above statement.

In the past you have been helpful with me understanding the Blackfyre stuff. I thank you.

A double entendre may exploit puns to convey the second meaning. Double entendres generally rely on multiple meanings of words, or different interpretations of the same primary meaning. They often exploit ambiguity and may be used to introduce it deliberately in a text.

Martin dug his hole. I hope he knows how to get out of it.

Does anyone remember how Varys came to be at Aerys’ court?    I don’t.    

All we know is that word of a Varys’s talents reached the ears of Aerys, and Aerys then made Varys his Master of Whispers. 

There is also this interesting passage from Selmy:

A Dance with Dragons - The Queensguard

Selmy took his simple supper out onto the queen's terrace that night and ate it as the sun went down. Through the purple twilight he watched fires waken one by one in the great stepped pyramids, as the many-colored bricks of Meereen faded to grey and then to black. Shadows gathered in the streets and alleys below, making pools and rivers. In the dusk, the city seemed a tranquil place, even beautiful. That is pestilence, not peace, the old knight told himself with his last sip of wine.

He did not wish to be conspicuous, so when he was finished with his supper he changed out of his court clothes, trading the white cloak of the Queensguard for a hooded brown traveler's cloak such as any common man might wear. He kept his sword and dagger. This could still be some trap. He had little trust in Hizdahr and less in Reznak mo Reznak. The perfumed seneschal could well be part of this, trying to lure him into a secret meeting so he could sweep up him and Skahaz both and charge them with conspiring against the king. If the Shavepate speaks treason, he will leave me no choice but to arrest him. Hizdahr is my queen's consort, however little I may like it. My duty is to him, not Skahaz.

Varys is another in the class of 'perfumed seneschals' and the business of luring someone to a secret meeting, charges of conspiracy, treason and arrest seems to be a tactic that Selmy has seen before.  I've wondered if Varys was behind Brandon Stark's arrest using the same tactic.

Archived