Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lany Freelove Cassandra

I like the story but… complaints about style/substance/etcetera

44 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Callan S. said:

I think it's fair to want to be judged on something - a guitarist wants to be judged on how well he plays the guitar, not the drums.

But really, if you want to engage an audience, it doesn't quite work that way.

An author has to play guitar, drums, bass, fiddle, second fiddle, as well as vocals on his/her own. To choose one dimension of the whole and say "hey, ignore the rest" is a cop out. It's the same as saying "judge my songs on the lyrics only, kthx" or "judge my song on the music only, kthx." Like you said, it really doesn't work that way. People aren't looking to experience half a song, and they looking to experience a fraction of a novel.

Edited by Traverys

On 30/11/2017 at 10:53 PM, polishgenius said:

My pet hate (which doesn't apply just to books) is dream sequences or imagination spots which provide a character with information that proves true relevant in the actual plot (Gravity and The Dark Knight Returns are very guilty of this). Fantasy actually gets away with it a bit more because of the potential for magic, and I actually enjoy a good prophetic dream sequence, such as a few of Martin's, or the ones in Eye of the World that were the only bits of that book I actually liked.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but I've grown to absolutely loathe the 'rape as character development' cliche, and its related form, 'rape as backstory'. So many writers seem to think that the only way to give a woman something to brood over, or a dark past, is to have her raped. Of course, it's even worse when a woman gets raped to provide character motivation for a man, but to be fair I seem to come across that a lot less often.

Yeah, that's just lazy writing. Fantasy might make it more plausable, but it still comes across as a bit of a cop out to me.

Oh yeah. It's just too common, it's boring. My worst sub division of "rape as backstory" is "rape revenge". When a woman gets raped, it's probable that she will murder him, probably brutally. If she doesn't, her male partner probably will. That just isn't how things work in reality. It's a bit uncomfortable, because it's always promoted as just, so the implication is that if you are raped, or your partner is raped, you should get brutal revenge, and real life rape victims and their loved ones are failures for not doing this.

On 12/1/2017 at 0:24 AM, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Here's the thing: writers are con-artists. We have to make people believe in a fictional narrative, and in doing so we invariably have to make it sound like we know what we're talking about. The author in your story doesn't need to have a PhD in Psychology, and they don't even need to properly represent what such a person would say. They need to create the illusion that they are representing what such a person would say - and in this case, the illusion seems to have failed.

This often has to do with constructing a Gary Stu/Mary Sue.  "My character has multiple PhDs (all in STEM fields of course), is a qualified pilot, rides mountain bikes, plays heavy metal guitar, home-brews his own beer, has written and sold several science fiction novels, and is a renowned and notorious cocksman to boot!"

On 12/1/2017 at 0:24 AM, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

"Write what you know" is terrible advice, BTW.

As Joe Haldeman so magnificently put it : Bad books on writing tell you to "WRITE WHAT YOU KNOW," a solemn and totally false adage that is the reason there exist so many mediocre novels about English professors contemplating adultery.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:55 PM, Traverys said:

People aren't looking to experience half a song, and they looking to experience a fraction of a novel.

Yes, but equally what the readers want doesn't dictate what the author wants. If he wants you to focus on his story, then that's what he wants.

Does it work out when each side wants something, with no concern of what the other wants?

Reminds me of table top roleplay.