Iron Maiden. Discuss.

LugaJetboyGirl

I was rocking out to Iron Maiden yesterday and thinking about how I was introduced to so many great cultural works through their albums, especially literature. After all, the band is probably single-handedly responsible for anyone (other than English majors) knowing "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" (much less reading it).

This made me wonder what literary genre I would classify the band, or at least most of their songs:

Because Bruce Dickenson's Iron Maiden lyrics so frequently rehash other works of literature, Iron Maiden is basically fan-fic. Discuss.

Iron Maiden run the gamut from historical (Paschendale, Alexander the Great), literary (Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Phantom of the Opera), fantasy (Isle of Avalon), sci-fi (To Tame A Land), war (Aces High, The Trooper), and horror (The Number of the Beast), amongst other topics.

In short, Iron Maiden are awesome. That's all we really need to know. :) 

Agreed, but arguably they are not (via lyrics) creating much that is new, whereas other bands actually create new characters, narratives, and myths. They constantly reference the concepts and literature of other great works, but doing so to such a degree is imitative. Their lyrics simply repackage the works of others.

12 hours ago, LugaJetboyGirl-irra said:

Or:

Thanks to songs like "Run to the Hills" and "The Trooper", Iron Maiden is often historical fiction. Discuss.

These are the only two Iron Maiden songs I know. 

"Run to the Hills" is the only song regular rock radio in the U.S. will ever play. It basically kicks ass.

"The Trooper" is one of the greatest songs of all time. Full stop. I only know it because they used it as the theme to that History of Metal documentary series VH1 Classic shows every once in a while.

Why in the hell don't I know any other songs by Maiden?  I feel ashamed.

Where do I start after those two songs?

7 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

Where do I start after those two songs?

Everything the band did in the early-mid 80s (basically up through Seventh Son of a Seventh Son) was classic. 

Start with The Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind since the two songs you mention are on those albums. Those will get you broken in on their basic sound. After that I would move on chronologically to Powerslave (my personal favorite), Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son... 

Bonus - check out their first two (pre-Bruce) albums as well. More punk influenced but no less kick-ass. 

Enjoy.  B)

After going through their albums, see if you can catch them on tour somewhere near you. They are a great live band and their concerts are quite spectacular.

You can check "Rock in Rio", the final concert (or one of) of their "Brave New World" album tour. It will give you a pretty good overall info on their discography up to that point.

As far as albums are concerned, I second what @Ferrum Aeternum said. Start with those two, then do it chronologically.

The only thing I'd disagree with it that their first two "pre-Bruce" albums are not a bonus, they are essential part of their work so far. They sound different than the rest, even with Bruce singing that songs nowadays but are no less important and influential.

10 hours ago, LugaJetboyGirl-irra said:

Agreed, but arguably they are not (via lyrics) creating much that is new, whereas other bands actually create new characters, narratives, and myths. They constantly reference the concepts and literature of other great works, but doing so to such a degree is imitative. Their lyrics simply repackage the works of others.

Eddie's a new character, surely? ;)

Repackaging is harsh. I like to view Maiden as having reinterpreted the classics, finding the most metal angle. \m/

48 minutes ago, baxus said:

After going through their albums, see if you can catch them on tour somewhere near you. They are a great live band and their concerts are quite spectacular.

You can check "Rock in Rio", the final concert (or one of) of their "Brave New World" album tour. It will give you a pretty good overall info on their discography up to that point.

Strongly seconded - they are phenomenal live; it's an incredible experience.

The Rock In Rio DVD is indeed a great retrospective, as is Flight 666

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Eddie's a new character, surely? ;)

Repackaging is harsh. I like to view Maiden as having reinterpreted the classics, finding the most metal angle. \m/

Yes, Eddie is a new character, but I wouldn't count him as a topic covered by their songs. There is definitely an Eddie mythology, but he began as part of their visual culture, not their musical culture. I see Eddie as a feature of the Maiden mythos existing outside of their music.

I think Charlotte the Harlot could be counted as a new character, dating back to their first album and reappearing several times. Personally I think their first album is one of the greatest metal albums ever made, and by far the snarliest of Maiden's albums. @The Wedge I highly, highly recommend it.

Speaking of Charlotte, there's another debate topic:

Depictions of women in Iron Maiden's music. Discuss.

I saw them in St Paul this year and it was a fabulous show. Louder than hell, I had to wear plugs but that's the state of metal these days. Bruce was hitting the high notes right from the start and his energy level was stupendous. The set was wonderfully cheesy but hey, that's Iron Maiden. They played every note like it was going to be their last and at an age where most of their peers are phoning it in that's saying something. 

As far as what to buy, the run from Number of the Beast through Seventh Son is astonishing and those two punkish albums that proceeded it are um..killers. Book of Souls is overly long but I don't know where I'd cut it. Certainly not the eighteen minute "Empire of the Clouds" - it's about a freaking airship! 

Archived