WW's motivations - they know enough of hate?

Aemon Targaryen

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire, 
Some say in ice. 
From what I’ve tasted of desire 
I hold with those who favor fire. 
But if it had to perish twice, 
I think I know enough of hate 
To say that for destruction ice 
Is also great 
And would suffice.

- Robert Frost

I was reading Schmendrick's awesome thread "R + L = Lightbringer" (thanks altshiftx). 

Schmendrick on p.3 notes "George has acknowledged that the Robert Frost poem Fire and Ice is one of his inspirations for ASoIaF."

The WW's motivation seems to ultimately be that they curse the fact that they were born/created and so hate life.  This is perhaps simplistic, but for mine it is the only inotion that makes sense.  (Obviously, there are speculations as to where they come from and whether they were created by; these speculations are consistent with the notion of hatred either of one's creator or one's existence; Milton's Satan's "I myself am hell"; Tyrell and the replicants in Blade Runner).

The poem analogises fire and ice with desire and hate.  Desire links to the Targaryens, Red God, AA/NN/LB; and perhaps also love and rebirth.  Hate links to the WW and the notion of a more absolute destruction or annihilation, a total death without resurrection or rebirth, a great nothing, a void.

Like the world perishing twice in the poem, WW and wights seem to have perished twice".

I would appreciate the cliffnotes version of any theories on the WW's ultimate motivations.  As far as I know, there is no dominant or consensus theory -  and as far as I know there is not enough evidence in the books for one besides something simplistic like the above.

Archived