US Politics: What's a couple hundred billion between friends?

Fez

24 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Can't watch the video, but isn't that exactly what Kal reported as false two posts above?

The link in the tweet Kal posted is unavailable, so most likely yes.

This article from Lawfare blog has an interesting take on Flynn.

https://lawfareblog.com/

Part of the problem with all the conservative bubble myths about Obamacare passage is that they apparently believed their own fictitious history of how the law was passed and by whom (in the middle of the night, rushed, no one knew what was in it) and now think they get to do the same (except it never happened like they said in spite of pelosis infamous quote).

In any event, I do not think the senate will take a second vote after conference. I think they bypass conference and the house votes on the senate bill and the bill becomes law.

worked for obama care

24 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

In any event, I do not think the senate will take a second vote after conference. I think they bypass conference and the house votes on the senate bill and the bill becomes law.

worked for obama care

While this is a possibility, it was a necessity for the ACA due to the election of Scott Brown.

More On The Of Production Of Conservative Horseshit By Means of Conservative Horseshit

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-01/economists-seem-to-back-off-economic-growth-claim-for-tax-cuts

A group of conservative economists appear to be backing off their claim, embraced this week by Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, that Congress’s proposed corporate tax cut would lead to 3 percent economic growth within a decade.

The Senate plans to vote Friday on its massive tax-cut plan, which -- like a separate version passed by the House -- would cut the top corporate income tax rate to 20 percent from a maximum 35 percent. The nine economists’ original Nov. 25 letter estimated that under the House and Senate proposals, "the gain in the long-run level of GDP would be just over 3 percent, or 0.3 percent per year for a decade."

The conservative economists wrote to Summers and Furman on Thursday, saying the 3 percent growth assertion "did not offer claims about the speed of adjustment to a long-run result."

This is not just a small little detail. The speed of the adjustment process is a big deal. There is a big difference between it being completed in 10 years or say 30 or 40 years. And to somehow vaguely suggest it might adjust in 10 years, if in fact you don't believe that, is a bit slimy.

And one wonders why this small detail would get left out. Was it to give Republicans and conservatives opinions differ on the shape of earth type arguments? To give Fox News a soundbite it could peddle?

The nine conservative economists are largely from the Reagan and Bush administrations. They are Robert J. Barro; Michael J. Boskin; John Cogan; Douglas Holtz-Eakin; Glenn Hubbard; Lawrence B. Lindsey; Harvey S. Rosen; George P. Shultz, and John B. Taylor.

A lot of these guys were also signers of that ridiculous letter to Beranke back 2010. They were wrong back then and haven't admitted the errors of their conservative ways. Now some of these guys are just clowns. Lindsey is a clown. And so is Hubbard. But, at least a couple, like Taylor and Barro have done respectable stuff. Its too bad that they went all in on being team Republican clowns.

2 hours ago, Sword of Doom said:

Just a reminder, if you play nice with republicans, even if they are family like your parents or long time friends, you're a coward.

Are you from a Republican heavy area? I am. Louisiana. And I think me talking to my Republican family and friends, trying to convince them to vote Democrat (and sometimes succeeding) , does more for the Democrats than your apparent plan of being an asshole to them at every opportunity. 

Edit: And to be clear, I was raised from an early age, like so many other people in this area, that Republican=Good/Smart, while Democrat=Bad/Stupid. It was only by going out and seeing more of the world, talking to people who were raised differently than me, that I was able to change my mind. Giving up on all current Republicans "just because" is a very stupid strategy.

5 hours ago, Sword of Doom said:

Just a reminder, if you play nice with republicans, even if they are family like your parents or long time friends, you're a coward.

This is unfair.  You forget that many of us have to play nice with these pieces of shit because we fear for our safety or our lives and we have others depending on our continued existence.

“The hypocrisy is astounding”: this tax bill shows the GOP’s debt concerns were pure fraud
Republicans are proving themselves nihilists.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/2/16724978/gop-tax-bill-deficit-debt-fraud

Nihilism begets nihilism. Democrats feel like fools for taking Republican deficit concerns seriously, for trying to play by the rules and pay for their legislation and show they were acting in good faith.

“Part of me feels like a sucker now,” says Jason Furman, who served as chief economist to President Obama. “Part of me feels a bit like the next time Democrats are in power they shouldn’t pay for anything and shouldn’t use Congressional Budget Office scores. I try to resist that mentality. I don’t think we should chase people down to the bottom of a toilet. But it seems an awful lot of people are comfortable at the bottom of a toilet.”

This is what scares the real budget hawks — that a world in which Republicans have shown you can get away with not paying for anything, with completely ignoring the budget scorekeepers and the economic analyses, is a world in which Democrats will begin to think paying for their legislation is foolish too, and so both parties will become increasingly fiscally irresponsible.

“If Republicans can spend a trillion and a half dollars on tax cuts and say, ‘Our own models tell us it will pay for itself,’ why can’t Democrats do Berniecare and say it’ll lead to huge growth?” asks Goldwein. “I hear really smart and really responsible Democrats saying things like, ‘Maybe we shouldn’t have paid for the ACA.’”

We're well and truly in the shyte now.  Everyone who isn't them is to be pillaged and squeezed dry -- and left to die. Corporations are the only persons with rights.

This has a been a version of a very long firing on Fort Sumter.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

My favorite is Republicans slipping in a line that describes personhood at the time of conception in order to describe beneficiaries. 

As soon as that conceptus is born and can draw breath it owes taxes tho.  It stops being a person and becomes a taxpayer.  Poor little conceptus! 

Archived