Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Werthead

UK Politics: Winter of Discontent

343 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Stopping all donations to them as some people and businesses are doing does seem like a not-particularly-helpful reaction to the issue, though.

It was no doubt the point of he media campaign in the first place though. Oxfam has become rather inconvenient for some people...

1 hour ago, A wilding said:

Another of my trigger points:

There are basically two options in the UK other than the NHS.

1) Pay for services as you use them. This basically is only practicable for the top 0.1% (which obviously includes all those Tory Grandees who want to get rid of the NHS).

2) Pay insurance to one of the private health care providers and hope. Probably about the top 10% can afford this (or get it as a job perk). In practice, in my opinion and anecdotal experience, lack of regulation makes this is little better than a scam. The companies will happily take 3 digit premiums per month, and provide certain limited services, but if you develop anything expensive they will do all they can to avoid paying for it and also to try to get you off their books entirely. Even when they do provide services, there tends to be very little depth to their expertise - you hear stories of patients being rushed to NHS casualty because something has gone wrong.

So basically private healthcare and insurance   in the UK pretty much an expensive flipping disaster. 

Edited by GAROVORKIN

2 hours ago, A wilding said:

Another of my trigger points:

There are basically two options in the UK other than the NHS.

1) Pay for services as you use them. This basically is only practicable for the top 0.1% (which obviously includes all those Tory Grandees who want to get rid of the NHS).

2) Pay insurance to one of the private health care providers and hope. Probably about the top 10% can afford this (or get it as a job perk). In practice, in my opinion and anecdotal experience, lack of regulation makes this is little better than a scam. The companies will happily take 3 digit premiums per month, and provide certain limited services, but if you develop anything expensive they will do all they can to avoid paying for it and also to try to get you off their books entirely. Even when they do provide services, there tends to be very little depth to their expertise - you hear stories of patients being rushed to NHS casualty because something has gone wrong.

Dont forget an absolute shit-ton of unnecessary tests and procedures