My Podcast: Celtic Myths & Legends

Theda Baratheon

11 hours ago, Myrddin said:

The others were spot on. Your love and passion for the topic really comes through your voice. Looking forward to the next episode.

Thank you!!! 

Episode two is now uploaded to the website and you can also listen to it via the souncloud . Hopefully itunes is to follow...I'm assuming as soon as it is uploaded to the libsyn website it gets uploaded there but no sign of it thus far...

Gee, that Efnisien fella was a real dickbag.

Really enjoyed this, I like the idea of doing a mix of bestiary type episodes and ones that are more lore focused. I had never heard of this before, but I look forward to hearing the next few episodes.

One thing I find very interesting is the bit about Bran's head being buried as a method of warding off invaders. It is a relatively minor point in this particular story, but it has an interesting mirror in the lore of the Vikings, and the death of Ivar the Boneless, who was buried in a mound overlooking the sea, with the promise that as long as he remained, no invader would find success (Then Willy P came, dug him up, burned the not at all decomposed corpse, and kicked some Saxon ass). I wonder if this wasn't some kind of intermingling of tales, one way or another, because they are remarkably similar.

What does it say about me that for a very brief moment after we learn the fate of the Irish I thought to myself "I bet she chose this specific story specifically because I said the Gaelic mythos was better." I may have a massive persecution complex.

1 hour ago, GrimTuesday said:

Gee, that Efnisien fella was a real dickbag.

Really enjoyed this, I like the idea of doing a mix of bestiary type episodes and ones that are more lore focused. I had never heard of this before, but I look forward to hearing the next few episodes.

One thing I find very interesting is the bit about Bran's head being buried as a method of warding off invaders. It is a relatively minor point in this particular story, but it has an interesting mirror in the lore of the Vikings, and the death of Ivar the Boneless, who was buried in a mound overlooking the sea, with the promise that as long as he remained, no invader would find success (Then Willy P came, dug him up, burned the not at all decomposed corpse, and kicked some Saxon ass). I wonder if this wasn't some kind of intermingling of tales, one way or another, because they are remarkably similar.

What does it say about me that for a very brief moment after we learn the fate of the Irish I thought to myself "I bet she chose this specific story specifically because I said the Gaelic mythos was better." I may have a massive persecution complex.

Yeah I think it will be better to mix up the kind of topics I talk about otherwise it might get a bit monotonous! And it was a real treat to essentially just talk and not have to check any notes. 

That' brilliant about Ivar - I'm watching Vikings at the moment (love it lol) and I know briefly what happens to some of the characters in history/myth but I'd really love to read those sagas at some point as well.

And LOL!!!! Well I was being cheeky there and it was all in good fun !!! Not meaning to insult :D:D

13 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Yeah I think it will be better to mix up the kind of topics I talk about otherwise it might get a bit monotonous! And it was a real treat to essentially just talk and not have to check any notes. 

That' brilliant about Ivar - I'm watching Vikings at the moment (love it lol) and I know briefly what happens to some of the characters in history/myth but I'd really love to read those sagas at some point as well.

And LOL!!!! Well I was being cheeky there and it was all in good fun !!! Not meaning to insult :D:D

No insult, it was just an amusing thing that popped into my head.That part of  my family left Ireland well over a hundred years ago, I'm far removed of any claim of offense.

I stopped watching Vikings specifically because I know a fair bit about the sagas (at least relating to Ragnar and his sons) and it just got to the point that I couldn't stand how dreadfully Hirst was bringing those stories to life, but that is a matter for another thread.

I took a course in folklore studies at University on a whim, and one of the things that I found fascinating is how various legends and stories kind of cross pollinate, with bits and pieces being found in parts of the world that seemingly had little to no contact at the time that they came into being, though the Bran-Ivar connection likely stems from a mingling of legends between the Welsh and the Danes who came to the British Isles.

You may have already seen it, but there is a series on Netflix (American Netflix at least) called Myths and Monsters that looks at myths and various elements that are found throughout the myths of Europe.

1 hour ago, GrimTuesday said:

No insult, it was just an amusing thing that popped into my head.That part of  my family left Ireland well over a hundred years ago, I'm far removed of any claim of offense.

I stopped watching Vikings specifically because I know a fair bit about the sagas (at least relating to Ragnar and his sons) and it just got to the point that I couldn't stand how dreadfully Hirst was bringing those stories to life, but that is a matter for another thread.

I took a course in folklore studies at University on a whim, and one of the things that I found fascinating is how various legends and stories kind of cross pollinate, with bits and pieces being found in parts of the world that seemingly had little to no contact at the time that they came into being, though the Bran-Ivar connection likely stems from a mingling of legends between the Welsh and the Danes who came to the British Isles.

You may have already seen it, but there is a series on Netflix (American Netflix at least) called Myths and Monsters that looks at myths and various elements that are found throughout the myths of Europe.

That' what I like about Vikings  (and Black Sails) personally as it' quite cheeky and not at all pretending to be totally historically accurate or a pure adaption of one piece of literature but a miss of everything. Very interesting way to do it. 

I have touched on this cross polination type thing in my banshees episode when I briefly discuss funerary practises across various cultures having similar aspects! 

On 12/9/2017 at 6:50 PM, Calibandar said:

My thoughts:

Pros: You have an excellent voice for this.

Cons: The background music is dreadful and gets on my nerves.

On 12/9/2017 at 8:02 PM, Frances Bean Corbray said:

agreed that less is probably more on the musical front.

your voice sounds good and your enthusiasm for the subject comes through, it can carry the 'cast without constant musical accompaniment.

On 12/9/2017 at 8:27 PM, GallowKnight said:

I agree with this post totally. Your voice is great and your enthusiasm for the subject really shines through, but the background music is distracting and gets annoying.

On 12/21/2017 at 1:50 PM, Seli said:

A great start, you did well. And you avoided the trap of sounding like you are reading from a text, you were really telling about the subject instead.

Hey guys just thought I would quote to let you know that episode 2 is now up if you wanted to listen! I'e used music again (I'm sorry lol) but tried to make it a LOT quieter so hopefully it isn't so distracting and it' more of a storytelling type of episode!!! 

Thanks for the heads-up, I did listen to the second episode this Weekend :).

I liked it a lot. I read a translation back when I was sampling a lot of mythologies and sagas. And it appears this branch isn't one I remembered a lot about. Looking forward to the other episodes.

What was the translation you liked again?

On 1/27/2018 at 7:48 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

Also not to be a TOTAL nag but if anyone is on iTunes or apple if you could leave me any ratings/reviews on there that would be SO awesome and I would appreciate it soooo much!!!

Done. :)

1 hour ago, Seli said:

Thanks for the heads-up, I did listen to the second episode this Weekend :).

I liked it a lot. I read a translation back when I was sampling a lot of mythologies and sagas. And it appears this branch isn't one I remembered a lot about. Looking forward to the other episodes.

What was the translation you liked again?

Oh thank you so much!! :D it was the Sioned Davies translation and she has an excellent introduction as well!! :D

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

Loved them both.  But ready for some banshee NOW. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed them both! :D Looks like Banshees will be my 6th episode after the 3 Mabinogion ones left to come but I've already recorded about 20 minutes. I'm going to find LOTS of cool things to talk about for that episode and I'm very excited! :D

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

Done. :)

Thank you so much!!! :D

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Looks like Banshees will be my 6th episode after the 3 Mabinogion ones left to come but I've already recorded about 20 minutes. I'm going to find LOTS of cool things to talk about for that episode and I'm very excited! :D

Teasing us with banshees then holding out...

Kinda piskie of you, if you ask me....

So about the music...was it better in the second episode because I know that was a bit of a problem for a few people in episode 1 as it was quite a bit louder and at times overpowering - did it sound better in episode 2 or is it still something that isnt working so well?

Archived