How horrified are the older generations of new entertainment?

NickGOT456

https://i.imgur.com/yKMt2n3.png

How horrified are the older generations of this generation of entertainment?

How would these type of people feel if they turned on the TV and it showed a TV show that showed a humanity 200 years in the future that has united under freedom and democracy, achieved interstellar travel, and became an important part of an intergalactic community? There would be epic space battles and intergalactic politics. PG-13 level action with soldiers in powered armor. The main character is basically an American soldier with powered armor and a spaceship and his loyal crew will follow him into the bowels of Hell! The show also shows civilian life in the future. In this future humans still enjoy sports and having fun. In this spectacular vision of the future first contact with an alien species ended with a war. This war was a huge mistake on their part and our first interstellar enemy ends up becoming one of humanity's greatest allies. Humanity is granted a seat in the intergalactic equivalent of the UN. In 20 years we are the 3rd most powerful interstellar civilization in the galaxy. 30 years after the first contact war the most advanced military spaceship built is an act of intergalactic cooperation between humanity and the first contact alien race. The spaceship is named after a key battle in American military history. The spaceship is commanded by an All American military commander. A few years later humanity leads and unites the galaxy and defeats an ancient menace that threatens all life in the galaxy.

Would Americans think such a future silly and too idealistic? Would the "real Americans" be offended because we think Jesus will come back before 2050? Would Americans think this show is a tool of Satan? Would people on the Left think this is space war glorifying propaganda?

Have you ever met a person who thought Game of Thrones should be banned? Have you ever met a person that was horrified by even Babylon 5?

The very idea that the USA is going to be a galactic empire is risible, particularly now in light of take-over of the US by those incompetent at everything that isn't about gaining power by virtue of violence and hate.

Why aren't you asking why so many of the younger generations of writers for print and media in the genres, the so-called mainstream, and artistic / literary are writing dystopias and the end, if not of the entire world, but certainly of the USA.  For example, see:

Akkad, Omar El. (2017) American War. Alfred K. Knopf, New York.  NY Times review here.

2 hours ago, NickGOT456 said:

How horrified are the older generations of this generation of entertainment?

Not very.

2 hours ago, NickGOT456 said:

How would these type of people feel if they turned on the TV and it showed a TV show that showed a humanity 200 years in the future that has united under freedom and democracy, achieved interstellar travel, and became an important part of an intergalactic community?

This is the basic premise of Star Trek which is more than half a century old at this point.

More generally, I would suggest you read you read and watch the science fiction of previous eras -- practically everything you've mentioned can be found there (in fact, just reading Asimov, Clarke and Heinlein would cause you to encounter in your paragraph multiple times) . The one and only thing you visualize differently is the importance of being American: almost all science fiction writers assume that once there is a galactic community, distinctions between nations, races, ethnicities, etc. on a single planet will be come less relevant.

It seems really weird that you've taken an old post about a parent being (probably quite rightfully, if over-dramatically and somehow managing to exist in complete obliviousness and still live in the bubble that video games are made for kids) concerned that their kids are playing GTA- that depends how old they are, of course, I don't see any real issue with mid-teens playing it but also don't have any with their parents not letting them till they're 18- and made it a basis for speculation about how Americans would take what would seem like a pretty morally-bog-standard space show.

I thought this was going to be about older generations being horrified by new entertainment because the can't access it, they can't figure out how to work a Roku or stream anything, even a DVD player, let alone a pc. So they're stuck with cable TV. Cause that I've seen. ::shudders::

Old people eat at Mimi's.

Dad, for example, is religious as all fuck, but he was also in the military and is interested in new futuristic warfare methods.   He mostly has given up on the return of Jesus happening anytime before 2472, which allows him to enjoy most sci- fi future timelines for an hour or so before leaving the room to find something better to do.

13 hours ago, Altherion said:

Not very.

This is the basic premise of Star Trek which is more than half a century old at this point.

More generally, I would suggest you read you read and watch the science fiction of previous eras -- practically everything you've mentioned can be found there (in fact, just reading Asimov, Clarke and Heinlein would cause you to encounter in your paragraph multiple times) . The one and only thing you visualize differently is the importance of being American: almost all science fiction writers assume that once there is a galactic community, distinctions between nations, races, ethnicities, etc. on a single planet will be come less relevant.

This.

I'm not even sure I understand the question though - are we being asked what the currently retired generation think of modern entertainment? What previous generations would think of modern entertainment? If previous generations - then how far back are we talking? Are we talking about tech levels? American Prudishness? Graphic portrayals of violence?

If we're talking about more recent generations; then we already know the answer by... reading newspaper, you can tell that there have been concerns about violence in games for 20+ years; we can tell that they'd be fine with intergalactic battles because their pwn media gave them intergallactic battles.. whether through Star Trek / Battlestar Gallactica; the books of Asimov / Clarke; or the films of Georges Méliès and the books of Jules Verne. And that's without me knowing anything at all about comic-books, except that most superheroes seem to have started between the 2 world wars. Further back and Thor went to other planets; Hercules would give the Hulk a good run for his money; Arthur held armies at bay, and is awaiting resurrection; Achilles was (very nearly) invulnerable; Robin Hood could take any Katniss or Hawkeye in an archery competition.

If we're talking about prudishness / puritanism, then again, what era are we talking? The medieval couldn't give a flying f*** for prudishness, and considered public executions to be good entertainment; so they probably wouldn't mind a little gore or nudity.There have been periods where the Puritans held the reins and cracked down on things - but that was all forms of entertainment rather than specifically the gory/sexual nature. Even in Victorian times gave us titilation through gore/nudity (Dracula, Frankenstein, Penny Dreadfuls etc).

22 hours ago, NickGOT456 said:

Would Americans think such a future silly and too idealistic? ... Would people on the Left think this is space war glorifying propaganda?

You left out the future alt-right paramilitary that's usually* responsible for the eradication of every civilization in the galaxy (including their own), so it's not that idealistic. And human supremacists being one of the biggest threats to the galaxy is a pretty Left position.

(* since Shepard gets killed by Cerberus a lot more often than she completes the game, in an average playthrough)

I don't think the "older generation" is horrified, as much as some of our seniors simply don;t "get it".... before the Sopranos ushered in this era of TV... shows in my dad's generation always wrapped up in an hour, and things always worked out in the end.... when i was a kid we watched happy days and welcome Back Kotter every Tuesday night... shows like Bonanza, and Adam 12 were the only types of drama available... Some older folks simply don't have the patience to sit through these longer arcs.... let alone the nudity...

Archived