US Politics: Russian Roulette Republican Style

Fragile Bird

5 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Has anyone been on the conservative scumbag interwebs to see what they're saying about the Jerusalem move?  I just don't have it in me to subject myself to their stupid bullshit right now but I'm curious how far off the rails they've gone with this.  I assume they are all "YEEEAAAAHHHH good move maga we won the middle east world peace right now maga"

I am too worn out from all the stupidity lately to look. From what I have seen in the past, they don't care about peace in the Middle East as much as they do about killing and hurting A-rabs. They will see this as big daddy Trump taking a stand against Palestine and Islamic terrorism, a big bold move by God's gift to America. MAGAMAGAMAGA.

23 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Has anyone been on the conservative scumbag interwebs to see what they're saying about the Jerusalem move?  I just don't have it in me to subject myself to their stupid bullshit right now but I'm curious how far off the rails they've gone with this.  I assume they are all "YEEEAAAAHHHH good move maga we won the middle east world peace right now maga"

I'm sure it's really really dumb and you'd probably get brain damage from reading it. So I wouldn't recommend it.

But, I'd imagine, the conservative clown crew sees it as proof of Trump's fake tough guy image. Conservatives: always willing to recklessly gamble other peoples lives on the most cockamamie nutball scheme ever, for the dumbest reasons possible.

28 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I stopped checking the comments sections at Foxnews because I honestly don't even know if any of the comments are from "real" people anymore. Scroll through 45's Twitter account and have a look at the replies to his tweets, it's like a sock puppet echo chamber filled with fake accounts and propaganda. 

15 hours ago, Mexal said:

Could you imagine Trump with his own spy network? How is this even legal?

This is becoming a trend. Dubya essentially did the same thing when the established intel departments weren’t getting the desired intel re: Saddam/WMDs.

9 minutes ago, Relic said:

Ok, honest question....does anyone have any hope a this point? 

Well, if you don't have any, it would be wise to cultivate some, because hopelessness is the main path to inaction and depression. If you lose all hope, you will have no motivation to work to make things better, and that's bad both for your personal and mental health, and for the future of humanity.

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

What's pathetic is he doesn't realize what a powder keg moving the embassy to Jerusalem is.  The move has the potential to spur more long term violence than all the dick measuring with Un combined.

It seems like maybe someone in the White House was making up leaks to try to force Trump's hand (which has happened several times now). https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-05/trump-says-in-calls-he-s-moving-u-s-israel-embassy-to-jerusalem

President Donald Trump will sign a waiver delaying the move of the U.S. embassy in Israel to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv while declaring the contested city the capital of Israel, according to a person familiar with the decision. 

He's signing the waiver yet again, so any statements from him (which he hasn't made yet) are bluster.                           

7 minutes ago, Relic said:

Sure do. I'll have less if Democrats don't make significant gains in the midterms, but even then I'll have some hope. Hope for a technological solution to prevent the worst of global warming and hope for cooler military heads to prevent nuclear war; and anything beyond those two things is eventually reversible. Arc of the universe is long and all that.

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

Looking at the world as it is today, would you make the choice to have kids? 

I probably wouldn't have anyway, so.

Anyway, I feel the last half a year has been an immense improvement over the first half of 2017. It feels like opposition to worldwide ratfuckery is starting to build up on a lot of fronts. Not enough to make the rats safe, but enough to create some balance.

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

For America?  Nope.  We're done.  It's just waiting for the inevitable collapse at this point.

1 minute ago, Relic said:

I wasn't really planning to have biological kids to begin with, but I've become more firm about it in recent months.  It's more important than ever that people who are able look into fostering because with the break down of social safety nets, the pending failing economy, the opioid epidemic, rise of white supremacy, etc, families are going to be struggling hard and children are going to suffer tons.  

4 minutes ago, Relic said:

Oh yes, definitely. 

I think a lot of ideals are going to die, and I think that a lot of people's lives will be worse - but I also think that the overall life value of people has increased tremendously over the world. In 100 years the world will be polluted and an ecological mess in a lot of ways, but humans will figure out a way to survive and thrive, though perhaps in real messy ways. 

Another way to put it is this: we are coming very quickly to the point where preparing a person to work for a living is just not that important in the grand scheme of things, and every human will be able to live without requiring to have a job. (It's going to be a messy ride to get there, but it's the general trend that is only going to increase). That's going to change the world in incredible ways, but one of the best ways is that it's going to let people be very creative. Every society with a surplus of time has shown increasing artistic value, and there's going to be an explosion of that. I think that's pretty cool. 

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

He's signing the waiver yet again, so any statements from him (which he hasn't made yet) are bluster. 

True (although we'll see what he says tomorrow) - and I'm shocked!  Between DACA, funding the government, the military trans ban, etc., he really could be called the pass the buck (or kicking the can, but I prefer the former) president even if you ignore all the Tweet noise.  Almost makes one wonder if he plans to be president for that long.

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Oh yes, definitely. 

I think a lot of ideals are going to die, and I think that a lot of people's lives will be worse - but I also think that the overall life value of people has increased tremendously over the world. In 100 years the world will be polluted and an ecological mess in a lot of ways, but humans will figure out a way to survive and thrive, though perhaps in real messy ways. 

Another way to put it is this: we are coming very quickly to the point where preparing a person to work for a living is just not that important in the grand scheme of things, and every human will be able to live without requiring to have a job. (It's going to be a messy ride to get there, but it's the general trend that is only going to increase). That's going to change the world in incredible ways, but one of the best ways is that it's going to let people be very creative. Every society with a surplus of time has shown increasing artistic value, and there's going to be an explosion of that. I think that's pretty cool. 

Damn, when you put it that way...

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Sure do. I'll have less if Democrats don't make significant gains in the midterms, but even then I'll have some hope. Hope for a technological solution to prevent the worst of global warming and hope for cooler military heads to prevent nuclear war; and anything beyond those two things is eventually reversible. Arc of the universe is long and all that.

Indeed, now seems like a weird time to declare everything hopeless.  The 2017 elections were incredibly encouraging, and if Democrats can do that well again in 2018, they are the favorites to win the House, along with most of the important governor's mansions and some desperately needed state legislatures.  No guarantee that 2018 will go as well as 2017 did, but it's obviously possible.

Now, that won't solve all our problems by any means, but "do you have hope" is as low as the bar gets.  I'm still reasonably confident that Trump will not be President in Feb 2021. 

23 hours ago, dmc515 said:

23 hours ago, Ormond said:

Well, if you don't have any, it would be wise to cultivate some, because hopelessness is the main path to inaction and depression. If you lose all hope, you will have no motivation to work to make things better, and that's bad both for your personal and mental health, and for the future of humanity.

I probably ought not to be quoting a guy that votes Republican, that played another guy was part of the Confederacy.

But, anyway, perhaps its more like:

“Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.”

Whether there is hope or there isn’t, I disdain losing to these clowns. Screw that.

So, yet another moment for me to revisit my pre-election take that, though insane in all other areas, Trump differed from standard right-wing positions on just 2 issues: he didn’t really care much about sexuality and was kinda neutral on Israel. Trying to remember how I got those impressions. 

Archived