US Politics: Russian Roulette Republican Style

Fragile Bird

5 hours ago, dmc515 said:

I'm not sure what your point is here.  The implication seems to be that anyone within the Trump campaign can claim privilege when conversing with the entirety of the rest of the Trump campaign as long as there is an attorney present.  If that's your argument, I don't care that I'm not a lawyer, because it's downright silly.

Well, you'd be wrong. If the attorney represents the Trump campaign, then that absolutely is the case. 

You're misrepresenting his position, though. It's not "any" attorney. It's an attorney who has been engaged to represent the campaign. In that case, yes, any campaign members can speak to each other in the presence of such an attorney, and the discussion will be privileged. This is not a particularly complicated iteration of attorney-client privilege. 

The good news is that Franken is out. The Gov of Minn. will appoint a Dem until the midterms next year. 

Could be good for getting more libs out in a state that has an unfortunate number of Redresentitives. And god forbid the Governor, who has a one-in-a-million chance at glory, choose a rockstar temp for the post. 

Mark Dayton could be in the position to give the entire party a desperately needed kick in the ass. It is with hope that I am not simply dismissed as a wild optimist that I say that Mark Dayton could be the hero we need in 2020. 

1) Appoint Tim Walz to the vacated senate seat (opening up chance to get some young blood in Walz's House seat.

2) Run for Pres in 2020

3) Give Minn. a massive Dem boost as the popular Governor is running for the executive office, as well as looking concerned with the 'plight' of the AFC and NFC North. 

Hey look, DG, I can still talk the footballs! :P 

Earlier this week white supremacist, Trumpette, Pizzagate enthusiast, and all around human shitpile, Mike Cernovich led a campaign to get an MSNBC contriubutor fired for a years old satirical tweet by misrepresenting its intent. He was successful and said that he was encouraged to go through tweets of other liberals for similar effect. MSNBC has at last come to their senses and reversed the firing.

https://static.theintercept.com/amp/sam-seder-msnbc-reverses-decision-to-fire-contributor-sam-seder.html?__twitter_impression=true

25 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

The good news is that Franken is out. The Gov of Minn. will appoint a Dem until the midterms next year. 

Could be good for getting more libs out in a state that has an unfortunate number of Redresentitives. And god forbid the Governor, who has a one-in-a-million chance at glory, choose a rockstar temp for the post. 

Mark Dayton could be in the position to give the entire party a desperately needed kick in the ass. It is with hope that I am not simply dismissed as a wild optimist that I say that Mark Dayton could be the hero we need in 2020. 

1) Appoint Tim Walz to the vacated senate seat (opening up chance to get some young blood in Walz's House seat.

2) Run for Pres in 2020

3) Give Minn. a massive Dem boost as the popular Governor is running for the executive office, as well as looking concerned with the 'plight' of the AFC and NFC North. 

Hey look, DG, I can still talk the footballs! :P 

Have you ever heard Dayton speak? He might be the least charismatic politician in the entire country.

2 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Today In;

The self congratulating circle jerking, stupidity, and cruelty of Republicans and the Republican Party.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/12/06/house-republicans-welfare-restrictions-are-needed-for-the-economy-to-grow/

Ah so the big untapped labor market is poor people on welfare? Funny I thought it was white suburban stay-at-home moms that were the big untapped labor market. I’m sure republicans would love to “force” them to work same as welfare recipients need to be “forced”, right?

Lazy stay at home moms, get them working! it’ll get us to three percent growth! Worked for Abe, after all.

5 hours ago, dmc515 said:

I'm not sure what your point is here.  The implication seems to be that anyone within the Trump campaign can claim privilege when conversing with the entirety of the rest of the Trump campaign as long as there is an attorney present.  If that's your argument, I don't care that I'm not a lawyer, because it's downright silly.

No idea why you think that's silly.  Maybe it will help if you generalize the situation.  If an organization hires an attorney to provide legal advice on a situation involving one of its members, that discussion with the attorney is privileged as long as only members of that organization were at the discussion.  For example, if a company hires an attorney to provide legal advice on a sexual harassment complaint or a wrongful termination complaint, the both the employee directly involved in the matter and the CEO or other upper level manager can have a discussion with the attorney and retain privilege.  This seems silly to you?

16 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

He should fit right in next to Donnie then right? :P 

Lol he’d make Trump look articulate.

And in case you’re not keeping track, you’ve got 126 hours and 11 minutes until  the polls close and you learn your bra eating fate!

Thank you for your service Al! Whatever else happens, Franken made Sessions perjure himself in front of the Senate committee, forcing him to recuse himself from the Russia investigation, leading to the Mueller appointment. If the Mueller investigation ends up taking down Trumpolini and his cronies, Franken will be remembered as a true patriot.

Roger Stone has won this one and I suspect Dems will rue their stance next year when ‘anonymous accusers’ will suddenly be coming out of the woodwork in several key elections. My bet: Jon Tester is going to be railroaded next.

The bad news about Franken being out is we're witnessing a political coup d'etat of white political women for their own personal career - power, regardless of how such actions -- taken without due process, that took place well before Franken was in D.C. -- affect the people whom these women claim to represent.  This is not only not good, but very bad.

Franken and Conyers are just not equivalents.  Franken, Trump and Moore and Weinstein, are not equivalents.

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The bad news about Franken being out is we're witnessing a political coup d'etat of white political women for their own personal career - power, regardless of how such actions -- taken without due process, that took place well before Franken was in D.C. -- affect the people whom these women claim to represent.  This is not only not good, but very bad.

Franken and Conyers are just not equivalents.  Franken, Trump and Moore and Weinstein, are not equivalents.

The fuck, now?

Just now, Which Tyler said:

Well, its starting to look like a stroke of genius for peace in the middle East, as everyone has laid down their arms upon hearing the news about Jerusalem

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42265337

Or not, as the case may be

Well for a President who kind of needs there to be a load of Islamic terror attacks to justify his plans, it seems like a pretty smart move to getting what he wants! 

37 minutes ago, Warlock of Quarth said:

Roger Stone has won this one and I suspect Dems will rue their stance next year when ‘anonymous accusers’ will suddenly be coming out of the woodwork in several key elections. My bet: Jon Tester is going to be railroaded next.

I am also very concerned about this.  This kind of attack obviously works, and the GOP is going to do all they can to make use of it.  Democrats will be tying themselves in knots about whether to stick with their "trust the women" policy even when the accusations are only half-credible. 

One person I don't feel sympathy for is Al Franken.  There's no excuse for a 50 year old man engaging in grabassing of strangers just because he thinks he can get away with it. 

11 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

Well for a President who kind of needs there to be a load of Islamic terror attacks to justify his plans, it seems like a pretty smart move to getting what he wants! 

Well, on that principal I guess we also need to give him credit on ISIS as well. He told us all he had a plan to sort them within 6 months, and now where are they? Okay, so that plan was to let Russia do whatever the F they liked with impunity, but still... it worked [/CYNIC]

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

I am also very concerned about this.  This kind of attack obviously works, and the GOP is going to do all they can to make us of it.  Democrats will be tying themselves in knots about whether to stick with their "trust the women" policy even when the accusations are only half-credible. 

Yep, they absolutely will.  They are well aware that liberals are inclined to believe the accuser, apologize, and step aside.  All of those are the right thing to do - but the R's are going to deny, deny, deny, and obfuscate (what about Bill Clinton?) when it happens on their side.  It's a weapon to beat liberals with that won't affect them sans actual criminal charges because they know that they can just deny everything and their voters will quickly move on because anything is better than a Democrat.  It's so god damn cynical and evil, but it's very clever.  

Oh ffs.  FOR FUCK'S SAKE.  You have several cases where there has been clear evidence of inappropriate behavior and suddenly the men are all "omg now anonymous accusers with zero evidence can ruin us all."

Can you imagine how women have felt for decades (centuries!) living with the fear and pain of silence for how you cave dwellers treat us?

For fuck's sake.  

Archived