US Politics: Russian Roulette Republican Style

Fragile Bird

5 minutes ago, aceluby said:

If it did, hopefully it was enough.... because per their registration laws, voter registration ended a week ago.

Yea I know. Just saying, I know they did a lot of it in VA. Just wondering if that kind of ground game moved to Alabama. I know there was a concerted effort to get felons who had their voting rights restored to sign up.

16 minutes ago, aceluby said:

If it did, hopefully it was enough.... because per their registration laws, voter registration ended a week ago.

The ground game is still important to get them to the polls!  Based on all the factors, this is like the mother of all turnout elections.

11 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yea I know. Just saying, I know they did a lot of it in VA. Just wondering if that kind of ground game moved to Alabama. I know there was a concerted effort to get felons who had their voting rights restored to sign up.

The big obstacle is that Virginia has an active, powerful, and successful state Democratic party, whereas Alabama barely has a state Democratic party. I don't know how extensive Jones' ground game is, but whatever it is, had to be build almost from scratch; while Northam was able to rely on tons of existing resources.

We'll see. But I think Jones' biggest priority probably isn't flipping wavering Republicans anymore, its getting African Americans to vote. And that's what will take a ground game, not flipping Republicans (which could backfire anyway; no good in getting someone to go vote who maybe doesn't vote for you); who are the target of the TV ads.

Anyway, I remain pretty bullish on Jones' chances. The last three polls have been Jones+3, Jones+4, and a Moore+3 from Emerson that had Moore+6 last week. I don't know how many backlashes we're up to at this point, but I think there's been another one now; against Moore again.

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

The big obstacle is that Virginia has an active, powerful, and successful state Democratic party, whereas Alabama barely has a state Democratic party. I don't know how extensive Jones' ground game is, but whatever it is, had to be build almost from scratch; while Northam was able to rely on tons of existing resources.

We'll see. But I think Jones' biggest priority probably isn't flipping wavering Republicans anymore, its getting African Americans to vote. And that's what will take a ground game, not flipping Republicans (which could backfire anyway; no good in getting someone to go vote who maybe doesn't vote for you); who are the target of the TV ads.

Anyway, I remain pretty bullish on Jones' chances. The last three polls have been Jones+3, Jones+4, and a Moore+3 from Emerson that had Moore+6 last week. I don't know how many backlashes we're up to at this point, but I think there's been another one now; against Moore again.

This is true. There was also a lot of outside support/volunteers that helped like from Jason Kander's organization.

Anything can happen in a special election with nothing else on the ballot, two weeks before Christmas, between a Democrat (with 5x the money) and an accused child molester. I think Moore wins but I also think it's incredibly difficult to model turnout in a situation like this so lots of uncertainty.

6 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Moore wouldn't have gotten the endorsements he got yesterday (McConnell flipping) if the internals weren't making them panic 

Normally I'm not one to share loki's pessimism, but i see little reason for optimism in this case.  Give Alabama voters half an excuse and they'll elect the republican.  Moore will win.  Whether it's Moore +1 or Moore +21 hardly matters.  

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trump has informed the Palestinian leader that he’s moving the U.S. embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. Between this and the growing Russia investigation, the boy wonder really has a high bar to clear when it comes to bringing peace in the Middle East.

What's pathetic is he doesn't realize what a powder keg moving the embassy to Jerusalem is.  The move has the potential to spur more long term violence than all the dick measuring with Un combined.

46 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Moore wouldn't have gotten the endorsements he got yesterday (McConnell flipping) if the internals weren't making them panic 

McConnell didn't flip, I'll give him that much. In his press conference this afternoon he reiterated that the Senate would be required under the Constitution to swear Moore in (if he won) and that he would then be immediately subject to an Ethics Committee Investigation. Which is the first step towards expulsion. 

And Cory Gardner reiterated yesterday that the NRSC would not support Moore's campaign.

The RNC did start supporting Moore again, though RNC officials' only option was to do so or to resign in disgust (and they should've resigned in disgust). They couldn't just sit things out after Trump's comments, the RNC does whatever a Republican President wants, if said President takes an interest; just like the DNC and a Democratic President.

23 hours ago, dmc515 said:

What's pathetic is he doesn't realize what a powder keg moving the embassy to Jerusalem is.  The move has the potential to spur more long term violence than all the dick measuring with Un combined.

Somebody refresh my memory here. But doesn't this basically go against United States policy since Gerald Ford?

13 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Somebody refresh my memory here. But doesn't this basically go against United States policy since Gerald Ford?

The US has never recognized Israel's claim to (all of) Jerusalem, so it effectively goes against US policy since the 47 partition plan, or Truman.

Pence tries to go full blown Sgt. Schultz.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/04/pence-russia-probe-flynn-mueller-278785

As the White House contends with questions about who knew about former national security adviser Michael Flynn lying to the FBI, people close to Vice President Mike Pence are trying to make clear that President Donald Trump’s No. 2 knew nothing at all.

I see nothing. I know nothing.

The argument Doug Jones is making below is actually a pretty decent tactic. He's doing the same thing with healthcare. His speeches have nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with a broken system that he can help fix, jobs and Moore's moral image. No idea if it works but definitely think it's the right approach.

Has anyone been on the conservative scumbag interwebs to see what they're saying about the Jerusalem move?  I just don't have it in me to subject myself to their stupid bullshit right now but I'm curious how far off the rails they've gone with this.  I assume they are all "YEEEAAAAHHHH good move maga we won the middle east world peace right now maga"

Here's an article that succinctly gives the basic history of why the move is such a big deal.  The Gingrich Congress actually passed a law to move the embassy and recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital, it's just Clinton, Dubya, and Obama never implemented it.  Why?  Because of simple cost-benefit analysis:  the cost is astronomical, the benefit is...what exactly?  Bibi telling Trump how awesome he is?  Fucking disgusting.

Archived