Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kalbear

Persepolis Rising (Book 7 of the Expanse) - SPOILERS

23 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, red snow said:

protomolecule?

Surprised apple and amazon aren't the ones looking at it.

That was my thought about it, too. Some ancient civilization just took a shot at us and missed. Look for another one in about 100k years. :P

Edited by Corvinus

Finished.  I had a hard time accepting that nobody confronted Laconia during the gap.  Humans pick at scabs.  We just aren't good at letting things go.  If no probes come back, then we send more.  I did not find the 'recovering from the events of previous books prevented humanity from investigating' explanation at all persuasive.  Mysteries beg a solution.  I'd have more readily accepted the idea if the probes that went through sent back telemetry of a huge pile of spaceship debris and a functioning alien defense system that then destroys said probes, showing EVIDENCE Laconia had a relic that wiped out Duarte and his whole fleet.

Also, the strategy employed by the EMC/Union forces was dopey.  There is a time to fight and a time to scurry like rats.  This was the latter.  I'm thinking of the Dornish strategy against Aegon and his progeny.  Actual Laconians are rare.  The other humans can trade 1000 to 1 and win.  If you can't destroy their ships, you destroy their loyal troops.

The gap definitely had issues, it was especially awkward when people barely remembered who Holden was (although this may have just been Singh).  

I thought the Drummer pov was just a poor choice, she's a super boring character with pretty much zero distinguishing features beyond 'has a tough job and wants to do it but is also kind of tired'.  There have already been a bunch of other possible POVs mentioned that surely would have had a more unique and interesting voice or perspective.  I mean, Drummer is literally if Michio Pa was a hall monitor on valium.  

Beyond that, I really liked the book but it was probably the weakes in the series yet.  That's not as much of a dig as it sounds like, i enjoyed it and look forward to the next installments eagerly.  Despite the gap issues and the weak Drummer Pov, it had an awesome death scene in Clarissa, I thought Duarte was handled well and that the entire Laconia plot advanced nicely.  Looking forward to the remainder of the Holden/Duarte dialogue.  

Glad Avasarala is still ticking, it's a less interesting place once she's gone.