Goodreads Awards 2017

Darth Richard II

Popularity contest continues to be farcical.

Screenplay should not even have been allowed in the fantasy category. But Potterverse will rule. I really liked the film too, I loved the character of Kowalski and pre-Depp Grindelwald was awesome.

I am more interested in the second and third place - Gaiman's Norse Mythology and VE Schwab's book - I had not really considered Norse Mythology as a fantasy book, more a retelling of tales, and having read one Schwab, I would comfortably put Hobb, Bennett and Jemisin above her. To me the vote counts just drove home the lack of connection between popularity and quality. 

10 hours ago, Andorion said:

Popularity contest continues to be farcical.

Screenplay should not even have been allowed in the fantasy category. But Potterverse will rule. I really liked the film too, I loved the character of Kowalski and pre-Depp Grindelwald was awesome.

I am more interested in the second and third place - Gaiman's Norse Mythology and VE Schwab's book - I had not really considered Norse Mythology as a fantasy book, more a retelling of tales, and having read one Schwab, I would comfortably put Hobb, Bennett and Jemisin above her. To me the vote counts just drove home the lack of connection between popularity and quality. 

Schwab’s second book in that trilogy was a mind numbing borefest in which fuck all happened to boring as hell characters for an entire novel. I can’t even recall it ending on an exciting note. I had no interest in reading beyond that second instalment. 

I would comfortably place Jemisin above Hobb which, coming from me for anyone who is familiar with my forum posts is saying a lot. But it’s more about the quality of Jemisin’s book that lack of quality in Hobb’s.

On 12/7/2017 at 6:04 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Well yes, if there is one thing I can still reply on in these times is the GR awards pissing me off.

And yeah I find Schwab to just be a terrible writer in general.

In terms of quality, it should have been either Jemisin or Benett winning. Both had excellent trilogy concluding novels.

Archived