Football: Four Amigos

AncalagonTheBlack

That Arsenal game earlier was painful. Glad I slept through most of the 2nd half.

At some point, I'd like to see Sanchez hit the bench, start Giroud/Lacazette together and play Wilshere.  Oh and start looking for a new RB as Bellerin is really limited these days.

2 hours ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Cheers. Yah, it was a great night. A little tough at first because anyone outside of the supporters sections were not guaranteed their regular seats for the final. I'm surprised Don Garber did not get more boos than he did.

My favourite piece of the night was watching local boy Osorio. He had been good for us all season, but sometimes he seems to lack a bit of confidence. Tonight, the kid was a beast. All over the place, making moves and completing basically every pass he attempted. Great thing to see for local football.

so season ticket holders could not have their regular seats? that is fucked. 

I hate mls for so many things. Garber sucks. 

DCL went down easily there. Not sure I like it.

OTOH, what on earth is Lovren thinking? One forward, facing away from goal, and Lovren’s got support .. no need at all to give DCL an excuse.

I was happy Salah was subbed off. He was by far the most threatening player ‘pool had today. When he went off, it was back to the Liverpool that will pass around a team for ages, but can’t really find a way to threaten. 

Two bullshit penalties given against us in our last two PL games, and this one cost two points.

We weren’t as ruthless with chances today, and Solanke and OxC rotating in would always reduce the number of chances.  It was a risk that almost paid off.  Equal blame to us and the ref. 

It’s a real pity because Chelsea, Arsenal and at least one of the Mancs dropping points was a really good opportunity for us. 

Should have gone in at half time 2 nil up but mane was a bit too selfish. Should have just squared it and when he didnt he absolutely had to score. Bit annoyed coutinho didnt start not only because I think we suffered without him but because I captained him in my fpl team

9 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Everton were pretty solid though. Martina and Williams were a bit shit but Kenny had a great game.

Kenny seems to be growing into the RB. Coleman will have a figth on his hands to get the position back when he returns.

1 minute ago, Soylent Brown said:

In fairness Isk, Ox played midfield and was ten times the player Wijnaldum normally is. He saved us from dozens of passes forward from the defenders, as he's not terrified of the ball.

It's not like Firmino made that much of a difference either - I think this was just another case of us struggling to break down a defensive unit.

That Mane opportunity though...

Disrupting the rhythm of the front four would reduce our attacking play, even if the incoming players have good individual games.  I was glad to see OxC and Solanke be trusted for a game like this, but it was risky to choose this game to do it — they spent all week practicing to defend against us. 

Mane’s decision was terrible.  I think Salah’s form has made him slightly anxious to grab at chances. 

3 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

So Dortmund sack Bosz and replace him with Stöger who was recently sacked from bottom club Köln. Bosz clearly had to go, having taken Dortmund from title challengers to seventh place in just a few months.

I assume Stöger being his replacement doesn’t seem as strange to avid Bundesliga followers as it does to outsiders?

No, Stöger had done a pretty good job at Köln (with the exception of this season). He got them back into the Bundesliga, the next year he avoided relegation, then safe midfield position, and then he brought them into the EL (thanks to a lot of underachiever last season). And he survived quite a long time in Köln, who usually pull the trigger quite early on their managers (him heading in his 5th season migt actually be a club record). and besides, he was already on Dortmund's shortlist to replace Tuchel, so that appointment is not that surprising.

As for this year, there are a few reasons for it. They sold their top scorer (Modeste) for good money to China, their replacement hasn't shown the same scoring touch). Then Stöger and Köln's Director of Football were pretty much on non-speaking terms (no idea when their relationship soured), so they didn't properly discuss the signing coming in, and Stöger ended up with a few players he didn't want/had no use for, and Köln has a midtable squad at best, which now also had to play EL, instead of focusing solely on the league. The Director of Football (Schmadtke) resigned a couple of weeks ago. I am curious who will take on the suicide mission to sort out that mess in Köln. They have appointed a new Director of Football, but are still looking for a new manager. Atm. their U19 manager has stepped in as caretaker.

Some of the stuff in Köln was Stöger's responsibility, but he wasn't sole reason for the mess they are in.

15 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Rojo is a massive dickhead. They should introduce a retrospective ban for pretend head injuries too.

You think he did a bloodgate? That's an extreme accusation.

Anyway, I'm glad that Otamendi is almost as shit as Mourinho's sense of adventure.

2 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Didn’t they also put on Mangala?

Eventually.

But still, #JoseOut. He's a twat. No imagination or balls. Even when the team are willing to attack, they don't know properly how to. And there's no point to the negativity if it doesn't fucking win us stuff, is there?

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Eventually.

But still, #JoseOut. He's a twat. No imagination or balls. Even when the team are willing to attack, they don't know properly how to. And there's no point to the negativity if it doesn't fucking win us stuff, is there?

I think it’s time you arranged for a banner to be flown across Old Trafford with the message #JoseOut.

Lukaku gifts City a goal and also misses a clear cut chance at the other end. He's been really poor for most of this season. I'm also pretty sick and tired of these bullshit hoofball tactics. It is unacceptable for United to have under 30% possession like we did against Arsenal and in the 1st half today - no top side plays like that. In the 2nd half we showed that we can actually hold onto the ball, unfortunately we have no attacking game plan and rely solely on improvisation and that is totally on Mourinho. His coaching and tactics are outdated and that is reflected in his record against the top 6 at United. Oh well, the game played out pretty much as I expected. It's December and the title race is already done and dusted. At least Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal all dropped points as well.

The biggest surprise for me today was Arsenal getting bossed by a very poor Southampton team, who dominated the chances.  Arsenal has quietly been on a very good run, and outplayed Utd last week despite losing, but somehow lost all rhythm today.  Charlie Austin has returned in hot form.

On the opposite side, absolutely unsurprising to see:

- Lovren with a rash action, at a point of little danger, that cost us a goal and some points (even a soft penalty can’t be given if he doesn’t raise his hand)

- Mourinho an absolutely gutless manager with no idea of how to win except through attrition.  Utd’s sheer spending might keep them close to the top four while he remains, but their culture of winning is long gone. 

- Herrera dived in pursuit of penalty, tried to get an opponent booked, bitched and complained to the ref, but his own tackle in the box earlier should have been given as an actual penalty.  And he made zero positive contribution to any passage of play.  How far has his form fallen in the past year?

- Lukaku is a player of hot and cold streaks, just like every other season.  Perhaps he’ll age into some consistency, as Coutinho partially has (less inconsistent than before but some room still to go) but not yet. 

- Every headline about the Liverpool game features Rooney, who did nothing all game except take an unearned penalty.  The media wants that narrative so desperately to get more clicks but if the outcome is to keep him in the team longer then Liverpool are the long term winners. 

Archived