Football: Four Amigos

AncalagonTheBlack

We have been really sloppy in possession. Mata is the only one who actually looks comfortable on the ball and able to play out from tight spaces. I wish Martial would go down the outside from time to time or make use of the overlap. He always cuts in and looks to dribble two or three players and ends up being quite predictable. Bournemouth have moved the ball much better than we have and their off-the-ball movement has been better as well. Very unfortunate to not be at least level.

3 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Man, I'm watching a Canadian stream I think, and the (British) commentators are dumb as dogshit. And massively pro-West Brom too. Not sure who they are though.

The idea of anyone being 'pro West Brom' that isn't actively a supporter is so ridiculous that I just don't believe you... Unless it's Adrian Chiles, since he is a supporter. Don't think he does commentary much anymore though.

Shit performance but got the win. Mata was our best player, imo. He's the only one who actually looked comfortable in possession, linked up play and covered so much ground. Without him we'd have just resorted to hoofing long balls to Lukaku because we would have barely managed to string three passes together. If you didn't know which teams were playing, you'd swear the side in red was a bottom six team playing for a smash-and-grab. This is a failure of coaching - Mourinho places far too much emphasis on playing without the ball.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

We really are sh!te, losing at home to Everton, managed by Fat Sam, goal scored by Fat Wayne. 

You were unlucky in the first half, what with hitting both posts. Merino’s shot in particular was excellent. 

We continue to look more solid. There’s more of a defensive structure, and even with Martina being a rather unconvincing left back, we manage to keep clean sheets. That’s four in the last five (counting Apollon Limason, which I’m not certain counts, as they were terrible and we were playing three midfielders and a junior in defense. Anyway..).

We’re still struggling to get our attack going, which is no surprise. Gylfi’s not a left sided midfielder, and Martina isn’t going to go all Ashley Cole on the wing. Lennon has seen his best days, his second best days and probably his third best days as well. Not much to get down the right either, then. Schneiderlin and Gana have perhaps an attacking pass in them - taken together. Which leaves Wayne. And he’s somewhat slower than he used to be.

Not very threatening, then. But thanks to Darlow (and a rare moment of good play up front), we managed to poke home a goal. From being just above relegation, we now have almost as many points down to Palace as up to Tottenham. Progress there, at least. 

16 hours ago, Mexal said:

Doesn't sound like anyone is happy. Arsenal has been terrible too.

Well, the Arsenal team may have been poor, but Jack Wilshere had a super game.  He was the best player on the pitch for either side by a good measure, I thought.  

4 minutes ago, Nas! said:

Well, the Arsenal team may have been poor, but Jack Wilshere had a super game.  He was the best player on the pitch for either side by a good measure, I thought.  

Yea, Wilshere has played well this season. Hope to see him get more of a run with the first team. 

18 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Man, I'm watching a Canadian stream I think, and the (British) commentators are dumb as dogshit. And massively pro-West Brom too. Not sure who they are though.

I have the (only) Canadian broadcast of this game recorded.  I will try to find out who the commentators were.  I always thought that our networks just pick up the English broadcasts so I would have figured they would be familiar to fans in the U.K., but perhaps I'm mistaken.  Are there local/regional commentators for PL broadcasts? 

3 hours ago, Nas! said:

I always thought that our networks just pick up the English broadcasts so I would have figured they would be familiar to fans in the U.K., but perhaps I'm mistaken.  Are there local/regional commentators for PL broadcasts? 

The Premier League do their own international broadcast which tends to get shown by any channels which don't have their own commentary team so that was probably it. All the UK channels have their own coverage so it doesn't get shown in the UK.

21 hours ago, ljkeane said:

The Premier League do their own international broadcast which tends to get shown by any channels which don't have their own commentary team so that was probably it. All the UK channels have their own coverage so it doesn't get shown in the UK.

That makes sense. I watched the game last night, but I didn't recognize the commentators by voice and I couldn't find any info on them.  I agree that they weren't very good, though.  

The game wasn't very good either.  Mane is frustratingly inconsistent.  Of course, he was that way at Southampton, too, so no surprises there. 

Archived