Football: Four Amigos

AncalagonTheBlack

23 minutes ago, Nas! said:

The game wasn't very good either.  Mane is frustratingly inconsistent.  Of course, he was that way at Southampton, too, so no surprises there. 

He's been pretty consistent at Liverpool in fairness. He's looked a bit rusty since he came back from his injury and ban, he also seems to be trying to force it a bit, but he's still getting into good positions and it's not like 7 goals and 4 assists is a terrible return at this point in the season. He's probably earned a bit of patience.

On 14.12.2017 at 5:44 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Pah, 11 points?  Newcastle blew a 12 point lead in abut 5 minutes.

Hum, was that the season, when Mickey Mighty Mouse Kevin Keegan was in charge? If so, that was in an era long gone, when United was actually playing for a win in every league game. (sorry to the Liverpool fans, but you have to give Ferguson's United credit where credit where credit is due).

On 14.12.2017 at 7:28 PM, Consigliere said:

I think if they beat Spurs this weekend then whatever minuscule hope that the chasing pack are still clutching to will promptly die and City will walk the league.

Well, considering United is currently on second place, and Mourinho is happy to play for 0-0 in the more challenging fixtures, I am not sure where that hope would come from. I mean, Spurs and Liverpool at Anfield are probably the games, where City are most likely to suffer a defeat in the league.

Anyway, talking about the "noise sensitive one", maybe United should spend a few quids to make the dressing rooms soundproof. :')

1 hour ago, Notone said:

Anyway, talking about the "noise sensitive one", maybe United should spend a few quids to make the dressing rooms soundproof. :')

Maybe if the ‘noise sensitive one’ actually tried to coach his team to pay offensive football they wouldn’t need to worry about teams like Man City celebrating too loudly, as Man United might actually be the ones doing the celebrating themselves. Though, I think Jose is set in his ways, so your idea about spending some coin on sound proof dressing rooms is actually about as likely as my idea about Jose changing his style of coaching/tactics. What probably will actually happen is he’ll just wait until January or the summer and spend hundreds of millions on more players.

Decent game brewing between Leicester and Crystal Palace at the moment. Christian Benteke really is the man of the monent. He scores the goal to send Palace 1-0 up, celebrates by putting his fingers in his ears to ‘drown out the haters’ after the criticism from his own fans after his decision to take then miss a penalty the other week, which could have earned Palace three much needed points. He proceeds to follow up his great header today by nearly heading into his own net to give Leicester an equaliser...

ETA: and Big Ben assists Zaha for the second goal. What a result this would be for Palace.

Leads me onto an interesting thought: who do you guys consider the best player outside of the ‘top 6’?

For me, it’s either one of Zaha and Mahrez, both of which are on the field today. Zaha currently winning that shoot out.

16 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Leads me onto an interesting thought: who do you guys consider the best player outside of the ‘top 6’?

For me, it’s either one of Zaha and Mahrez, both of which are on the field today. Zaha currently winning that shoot out.

Mahrez is definitely the most talented. I'm not sure he's the best though, he's rubbish a bit too often when he's not in the mood. That's probably why he hasn't attracted more interest from bigger clubs.

Vardy's better than Zaha for me. Richarlison looks pretty good too. There are probably plenty of defensive players who are better at their jobs than Zaha too, it just doesn't tend to attract too much attention.

14 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Mahrez is definitely the most talented. I'm not sure he's the best though, he's rubbish a bit too often when he's not in the mood. That's probably why he hasn't attracted more interest from bigger clubs.

Vardy's better than Zaha for me. Richarlison looks pretty good too. There are probably plenty of defensive players who are better at their jobs than Zaha too, it just doesn't tend to attract too much attention.

Richarlison would be another that I’d consider, but wouldn’t go for him, as we have only really seen him for half a season.

You look at the Balon d’or or the PFA player of the years, it’s normally the forwards or exciting players that win it as the ‘best player’. Last year was a bit of an exception with Kante winning, but I think he won as a nod to the job he’d done over the last two seasons.

For me, none of the defensive players outside the top 6 stand out to warrant being chosen. VvD gets talked about but I’ve always thought him overrated. Tarkowski looks good this season, though.

Doucoure has impressed me. Shaqiri is good when he’s on form. I think Merino at Newcastle is right up there, too. Ndidi, despite just being sent off, is an impressive player.

Last season I would have said Sigurdsson was the best player outside the top 6, hands down, but he hasn’t hit those heights this year, and I’m wondering if it wasn’t for set pieces last year, would his stats have been that impressive. Can’t forget Rooney, either.

But Zaha’s performance in this game is making me lean towards him.

Watford really are poor defensively. They were unlucky with the first goal where there were two offsides in the buildup but they've not looked convincing at the back at all. For me the jury is still out on Marco Silva. Still remains to be seen whether he is actually any better than Roberto Martinez i.e. someone who is good at setting up a team to play attacking football but rather clueless when it comes to defensive organization. 

Deeney sent off now. This looks like game over for Watford. 

City are just so good. Pressing/counter-pressing and off the ball movement is the best in the league. In KdB they have probably the best player in the league whose decision making and passing range is second to none. Even with Kompany, Stones, Mendy and D. Silva all not playing, it doesn't make a bit of difference because right now they are streets ahead of everyone else in the league.

ETA. Kane is a luck boy. That was a late, studs up challenge on Sterling which could easily have been a red card.

Meanwhile the Bundesliga is having their last game before the winterbreak (yes, there are still cup matches to be played midweek).

It's probably fair to say, that from the Liverpool loanees Origi has managed to make an impact at Wolfsburg while the highly touted Ryan Kent has been mostly disappointing. Today he had yet again failed to make it to the matchday squad at Freiburg. Overall has only managed to make six appearences, none over 90 minutes, and making it to the starting XI only once.

Not sure about the Kane one, but that is definitely should be a red for Alli.

7 minutes ago, Notone said:

Meanwhile the Bundesliga is having their last game before the winterbreak (yes, there are still cup matches to be played midweek).

It's probably fair to say, that from the Liverpool loanees Origi has managed to make an impact at Wolfsburg while the highly touted Ryan Kent has been mostly disappointing. Today he had yet again failed to make it to the matchday squad at Freiburg. Overall has only managed to make six appearences, none over 90 minutes, and making it to the starting XI only once.

In more positive English loanee news, Reece Oxford was very impressive for Gladbach against your favourite side last night. Apparently they are looking to bring him in permanently which would be great for his career. Makes a nice change from most of the Bundesliga Brits who never live up to what they were hoping for.

2-0 De Bruyne. Nice revenge for that Alli stamp.

So that's 15 points out of 15 against top 6 opposition for City and they've done it by dominating every one of those games making the opposition look average in the process. Given their upcoming fixtures they are more than likely to break Bayern's record for longest winning run in Europe's top 5 leagues.

@Horse of Kent

Yes, that was an improvement over how Oxford played midweek against Freiburg. Don't get me wrong, better this way than the other way round - at least this way the evil will reside on position 17 during the winter break (which makes the struggles of my club slightly less annoying). But those were the only games in which Oxford got serious playing time, and it was more a result of injuries suspensions that got him in the starting XI. But tbf iirc Oxford has started this season with injury/fitness problems.

From the more unknown English players, I am cruious whether Collinge will make it at Stuttgart,

Archived