Football: Four Amigos

AncalagonTheBlack

1 hour ago, Notone said:

@Horse of Kent

Yes, that was an improvement over how Oxford played midweek against Freiburg. Don't get me wrong, better this way than the other way round - at least this way the evil will reside on position 17 during the winter break (which makes the struggles of my club slightly less annoying). But those were the only games in which Oxford got serious playing time, and it was more a result of injuries suspensions that got him in the starting XI. But tbf iirc Oxford has started this season with injury/fitness problems.

From the more unknown English players, I am cruious whether Collinge will make it at Stuttgart,

As he is only 18, not being a regular in a Champions League chasing side is not too worrying. It makes a nice change to see that he is progressing, is well rated by Eberl + Hecking and has embraced life outside of England, rather than seeing it as exile. Contrast him with Oliver Burke, who was criticised by Hasenhüttl for 'having nothing on his hard-drive', never picked up Leipzig's system and returned to England at the first opportunity as he was homesick.

9 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I'm not sure he's the best though, he's rubbish a bit too often when he's not in the mood.

I actually think this is a bit harsh on Mahrez- he turned rubbish last season, but really, in the first half of the season, he was the only one who gave a shit and was trying, it's just that everyone was so bad that every team could triple mark him. After that his head dropped and he didn't get going again even when everyone else did, only really got back again with Puel, but I honestly think that's more of a confidence thing than a 'not wanting' to thing.

I mean, either way it does limit him as a player, somewhat, but I don't think he has an attitude problem.

Anyway, I missed all of today's games including theirs, but if we're talking talent outside of the top 6, Zaha isn't anywhere near. Okay, I'm biased because of how utterly shite he was when he was at us, but he's really just a very good dribbler who gives the illusion of having end product because it suits Palace to indulge him with loads of time on the ball. When him and Bolasie played together Bolasie was clearly the much better player (he should be back soon, that'll be a boost for Everton if it goes well).

9 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

As he is only 18, not being a regular in a Champions League chasing side is not too worrying. It makes a nice change to see that he is progressing, is well rated by Eberl + Hecking and has embraced life outside of England, rather than seeing it as exile. Contrast him with Oliver Burke, who was criticised by Hasenhüttl for 'having nothing on his hard-drive', never picked up Leipzig's system and returned to England at the first opportunity as he was homesick.

Hum, no, not exactly.

Burke's empty harddrive was a quote Hasenhütl used to refer to apparent absence of tactical awareness/positioning, when defending. And that was more a dig against Nottingham and their academy, as the tactical training was apparently not that high on the priority list there. Thus the empty harddrive, as they pretty much had to start from scratch there. And Burke himself opted to go to Germany, so hardly a banishment or exile. He was unhappy about the his playing time, and he also dropped a bit in the pecking order. Thus he was transfered back to England.

I am not sure, but I think the deficits in terms of tactical training is also one of the reasons Kent is struggling to get into the Freiburg side, who are not exactly in the chase for European football. Maybe Kent will get a better chance to break into the Freiburg side in the second half of the season after the winter training camp. But the first half must have been a real disappointment for a player as gifted as him.

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Anyway, I missed all of today's games including theirs, but if we're talking talent outside of the top 6, Zaha isn't anywhere near. Okay, I'm biased because of how utterly shite he was when he was at us, but he's really just a very good dribbler who gives the illusion of having end product because it suits Palace to indulge him with loads of time on the ball. When him and Bolasie played together Bolasie was clearly the much better player (he should be back soon, that'll be a boost for Everton if it goes well).

I think Zaha is brilliant. He’s one of those players that when he gets the ball in the final third, you feel like something is going to happen. It doesn’t always happen, but when it does, he can do things a lot of other players outside the top 6 can’t do. 

What I like about him is the fact he never drops the head and shies away from the ball; even after a mistake he always wants to try to take on a man. He’s an entertainer. On top of that I think he has good end product; his finish yesterday was excellent. He’s also Palace’s top scorer this season.

If he was to leave Crystal Palace, it would surely be to go to a top 6 team. I’m guessing you wouldn’t take him back to Man United, though?

22 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I’m guessing you wouldn’t take him back to Man United, though?

Not even slightly. He was the worst attacking player to have played for us since at least David Bellion. I made this comparison back at the time, he was like Gabby Obertan but much less intelligent with the ball.

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Not even slightly. He was the worst attacking player to have played for us since at least David Bellion. I made this comparison back at the time, he was like Gabby Obertan but much less intelligent with the ball.

The mentioning of those two names reminds me that Man United have made some strange signings over the years.

But surely you don’t regard Zaha in the same bracket as Bebe?

He chose a good time. 

Still would have liked to see how the Pool game had played out had Mané not decided to try some plastopedic (pedioplastic) surgery on Emerson's face.

I absolutely hecking love seeing Pep make snivelling fools of all the pundits, writers and shit heads who thought he wouldn't be able to hack it in the PL, though. Fills my petty, snide little heart with schadenfreude. Mourinho must be having sleepless nights. 

38 minutes ago, Mme Erzulie said:

I absolutely hecking love seeing Pep make snivelling fools of all the pundits, writers and shit heads who thought he wouldn't be able to hack it in the PL, though. Fills my petty, snide little heart with schadenfreude. Mourinho must be having sleepless nights. 

I have to admit, I was one of the shitheads who thought he'd fail. He's done an amazing job.

Archived