Football: Four Amigos

AncalagonTheBlack

I’m a lot happier than I was a month ago, when we played sh*t and lost by three-four goals. I do hope we’ll see more attacking football returning to Goodison in a not too distant future, however. 

What I am happy about these days is the youth we keep seeing. Pickford, Kenny, DCL, Davies, Baningime, Sandro all got playing time today, and they still look like they can cut it at this level. Pickford I think is beyond question, Sandro still more of a question mark, but overall I’m happy that there are youngsters coming through. We’ve got Holgate, Lookman and Vlasic as well, so quite a lot of young talent. 

I think today the onus was on not losing, and, through that, keeping the solidity and belief that the team now has going into the Christmas period. That belief, I think, is key in the coming week. 

I would be unhappy if I was a Chelsea fan today, however. Should have won it.

1 hour ago, Inigima said:

I didn't realize this but apparently NBC Sports now only includes SOME Premier League matches and you have to pay them extra for the rest? Fuck this.

If it hasn’t bothered you until now then you’ve done pretty well.  We discussed this a lot back in August.  I’m still refusing on principle but it made me miss some Liverpool games.

6 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

oh, and a great clasico.

I didn't think it was that good actually. Real Madrid really don't look too flash, which is a bit of a surprise given how good they looked coming into the season with Isco and Asensio playing so well, and Barcelona were ok but but they didn't have to be that good to win fairly comfortably. Carvajal making a save was quite entertaining though.

I think City might be quite fancying their chances of a league and Champions League double at the moment.

Watching the Burnley v Spurs game on BT sport. I don’t think Alli’s tackle was that bad, certainly not as bad as his one on KDB last week, but it was pretty reckless. Like last week on BT sport and on BBC MOTD, I can’t help but think if Alli wasn’t English, these English pundits would be banging on about how bad the challenges were rather than defending him.

PSG will be fancying their chances for the CL as well.

Depending on what business Barca do in January, they could be in really good shape as well by the time the knockouts come around. Yerry Mina looks to be all but done and Arthur could join as well (we'll see what happens with Coutinho and David Luiz, although both will be cup tied should they sign). Both Umtiti and Dembele should be back from injury by then too.

ETA. Spurs really should be more than one goal to the good. They have thoroughly bossed Burnley.

Brilliant goal from Harry Kane to complete his hat trick. Won the ball back deep in the Burnley half with a strong sliding tackle, started a nice move with Alli and finished with a great left footed strike. Equals Alan Shearer’s record for PL goals in a calendar year to top it off.

Well, will the British commentators banging on about Alli and his dive today? I remember a time, when the Premier League (well the fans of all clubs) not to react to kindly to that kind of behaviour.

6 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

No game in European football is easy, whether it be CL or EL, especially at a club like Celtic, but when we are applying 70m price tags to players, in my opinion, they need to have had experience playing at the top level, whether that be at international competitions for the Netherlands or Champions Leagues. VvD has limited experience in either, so in that case, you’d expect the player to have some kind of special talent way above the general standard, which, again, I don’t think VvD has. Overall, I’ve no idea why Southampton think he is worth that much, nor do I understand why teams are willing to pay that for him.

Well, how much did you pay for David Luiz again? :')

Just now, Notone said:

Well, will the British commentators banging on about Alli and his dive today? I remember a time, when the Premier League (well the fans of all clubs) not to react to kindly to that kind of behaviour.

No. Alli is the best, most perfect representation of English football and the media will do nothing but blow sunshine up his ass while spending all of their energy ripping into Ozil.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I think City might be quite fancying their chances of a league and Champions League double at the moment.

Winning the league is more or less a given I think. CL is another story. Let's assume they clinch the league some time in march. That means they somehow have to keep up their focus for 2 months without the league. That's basically the story of Bayern under Guardiola. At some point after they had won the league they slacked off a bit, and that came to haunt them in the CL, as it's mentally really tough to switch from exhibition mode (league games), back to serious competition when it counts (CL quarter finals onwards). Maybe chasing the 100 points mark will keep them entertained this year.

16 minutes ago, Notone said:

No, because he didn’t dive. Long stuck out a leg and it caught him. I’m the first to point out his faults, including earlier, when I touched on his reckless challenge. But he definitely didn’t dive today.

17 minutes ago, Notone said:

The first time or the second time?

First time he was £21m, which is reasonable for younger defender who has won the Portuguese league and played in European competition. 

The second time we paid £32m, which wasn’t too bad for a 28 year old centre back who had won the Champions League and Europa League (during his first spell at Chelsea) and had great success domestically during his two years at PSG.

I think it was PSG that really overpaid for him when they bought him off us for £50m, despite the fact he was surplus to requirements under Jose Mourinho. 

Take that into account and we’ve spent less than £5m on him. Given his success at the club, that’s good business.

No idea what Amartey was thinking there. Idiotic thing to do.

A relief really coz that will hopefully mean that Mahrez, who's had our defence on toast at times today, has to drop a bit deeper. We've had some really good chances that we weren't putting away. Hopefully doesn't cost us.

Eta: fuck.

We really shit the bed in this game. Two points dropped due to pathetic finishing. Leicester should have been dead and buried. Also hate that we just dropped deep and chose to cling on against 10 men.

ETA. On a positive note, I think we played quite well today aside from the finishing. Really Rashford, Martial and Lingard have no excuses for fluffing those gilt-edged chances. Lukaku played well and should have had three assists today. Lukaku has a right to be pissed - he's always making good runs but Rashford, Martial and Lingard are often guilty of being too greedy and never look for a through ball to him. Mata was excellent and should never have been taken off because Mkhi is pants.

So let's at least try to find some positives points in this fucking game.

-Mata is definitely deserving to be the #10 of this team

-Lukaku had not been fed with chances but had fed his stupid teammates

-We absolutely need to sign that bloody Mahrez in January. Had an excellent game tonight. Still a shame that we did not sign him back in summer.

-Jones actually had a decent game. 

3 minutes ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

-Mata is definitely deserving to be the #10 of this team

He had a good game today but I'm still faaaaaaaaaaaar from convinced of this bit yet.

We played well in general today, going forward at least. Just the finishing was shocking.

Mahrez is just a ridiculously good player when he's playing like that, though. Perhaps summed up by the moment he was meandering with the ball about ten yards from the halfway line and both Pogba and Matic decided the only possible thing to do in that scenario was boot him up in the air.

Mata is better than Mkhi who has become an expert at disappearing and easily gets brushed off the ball like a little kid. While Mata does play safe passes a bit too often, his ball control, link up and work rate is better than Mkhi's. With our current squad, Lingard and Mata should definitely be starting but we really do need upgrades at #10 and on the right.

Archived