Football: Four Amigos

AncalagonTheBlack

I am really liking the balance of Liverpool's 4-4-2 formation.  They play more like a 4-2-2-2 with Mane and Coutinho coming in a fair bit instead of staying out side. They link up so damn well that the defense usually have 6  behind them to protect. And god knows Liverpool could use those players there to for protection.

I really want to see more of Sturridge in this formation. He looked pretty good once he came on, getting in good areas and creating the goal for Mane. His movement looks much sharper with attacking partners than when he is just playing solo up top. It helps that the front four actually passes to each other rather than hoping for a good through ball from the midfield/defense. He makes a lot of good runs that our midfielders usually can't find, so this formation might suit him well with close interconnected passes and movements.

Good game overall, can't wait till weekend!

On a different note, can't believe City lost. Might wake them up enough to get a win against United. I can't hope for a United win, so I am hoping for a soul crushing 0-0 draw!

Playing our reserves and youngsters today worked. We looked dangerous going forward (at times), but pretty shaky at the back. Thank God the opposition wasn’t all that.

Two full debutants, and five overall - noone can say we don’t give youth a chance, at least.

Both Serbian teams advanced from Europa League's group stage. They were both second placed in the group - Crvena Zvezda behind Arsenal and Partizan behind Dynamo Kiev. Not a bad result at all. It's probably the best result our teams had since the former Yugoslavia collapsed.

Now it's time to see what the draw brings.

There was no discussion but I think it was a nailed on certainty that Ronaldo would win because what the team achieves plays a big part in the voting. With Real winning both La Liga and CL (and Ronaldo being top scorer for Real in the league and the competitions top scorer in the CL) there was really never any doubt.

He’s not really the player he used to be, he’s just a goal scorer now rather than the more rounded threat he was, and he hasn’t looked great this season. Having said that, like Consigliere says, he was always going to win off the back of being the top scorer in a league and Champions League double winning side.

Well that pretty much sums up Chelsea's season thus far. Can't beat the teams we should beat. Started off with Burnley then to Crystal Palace and now West Ham. Can pretty much kiss the PL title away now. City won't drop enough point for us to get back in it. On to a tough UCL draw this Monday. 

West Ham were genuinely really good. Dominated the first ten then let little through their low block and looked dangerous on the counter. It helped that Chelsea's wingbacks were so off form. It is only really that Morata miss that Chelsea can look back on.

This is the third West Ham match this season I've been to and they have been their only three league wins.

Meant to post this yesterday but never found time. Now, I know not that many follow Scottish football here but I do think a number of you will get a kick out of the sheer levels of petty contained in this Rangers club statement, after they failed to poach the Aberdeen manager (oh, how the mighty have fallen):

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/club-statement-83/

After the two games against Aberdeen, we requested permission to engage with their manager to assess his readiness and willingness to consider the Rangers position. This was declined. We were subsequently made aware by Aberdeen’s statement that, at this stage in his career, it would be best for him to remain in his current post. We endorse that position because moving to a massive club like Rangers is a big step with concomitant risk. We continue to consider candidates but will only appoint someone in whom we have full confidence and who feels he is ready for the job.

This is in reference to a candidate they've been publicly chasing for six weeks. But nah, they never fancied him anyway. Where are you going? You're not ending this date, I am! You're just intimidated by what a great club we are! We only interviewed you out of pity! I'll tell everyone you're crap in bed!

Ah, dignity.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Meant to post this yesterday but never found time. Now, I know not that many follow Scottish football here but I do think a number of you will get a kick out of the sheer levels of petty contained in this Rangers club statement, after they failed to poach the Aberdeen manager (oh, how the mighty have fallen):

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/club-statement-83/

This is in reference to a candidate they've been publicly chasing for six weeks. But nah, they never fancied him anyway. Where are you going? You're not ending this date, I am! You're just intimidated by what a great club we are! We only interviewed you out of pity! I'll tell everyone you're crap in bed!

Ah, dignity.

Can’t help but somewhat enjoy some of the horrendous decisions being taken at Rangers. As per usual, Chris Sutton had a hilarious take on it. I think most of what he say is for a reaction, but still funny.

The bit that at the start of their statement where they considered none of the managers that had applied for the job to be an outstanding candidate was equally stupid. As if that’s the sole reason they had to go for McInnes, like it was their only choice. They wanted him all along and everyone knows it.

Couldn't watch the West Ham v Chelsea game this morning due to it being broadcast exclusively on a sports channel not included in the 9-channel sports television package for which I am already paying too bloody much.

Horse of Kent: have you considered asking the club to pay for your future tickets?

Tough on Newcastle to emerge from that havoc with nothing. But Leicester are now rolling with a vengeance. Two relatively winnable games against Southampton and Palace next- then a very tough Christmas period consisting of City, us, Watford, Liverpool before finishing up with Huddersfield, but if they do get some results from that (and I think, style-wise, they're well built to challenge Watford-who they've just overtaken- and Liverpool and a challenge for everyone really) they're well set for a top six and heck, even maybe a top four challenge in the second half of the season.

Don't see the top 6 being breached short of one of those teams having a really poor season. There is a fairly significant gulf between the current top 6 and the rest of the league. These teams - Leicester, Burnley, Watford etc. - are all playing for 7th place, which would be good enough for a EL place unless the FA Cup winner comes from outside the top 7.

For Newcastle fans, I hope an agreement is reached soon between Ashley and Staveley and ratified by the Premier League in time for Rafa to do business in January. This team needs reinforcements especially in attacking areas. Rafa has the team well organised defensively but they don't look like they can score enough goals to stay in the league.

5 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Don't see the top 6 being breached short of one of those teams having a really poor season. There is a fairly significant gulf between the current top 6 and the rest of the league. These teams - Leicester, Burnley, Watford etc. - are all playing for 7th place, which would be good enough for a EL place unless the FA Cup winner comes from outside the top 7.

You say that, but this is near enough the same Leicester side that won the league, with Iborra and Ndidi replacing the midfield two, and finally starting to actually play like that team again. They'll need luck, of course, and Mahrez not to leave in January or lose focus if he doesn't, but they're capable of sticking runs together and bothering the big guys, even if they're not gonna repeat the trick.

Burnley you'd have to imagine less so, their squad just isn't big enough. Watford are already dropping off.

Archived