US Politics: For Whom the Bell Tolls

Fragile Bird

More detail on Trent Franks -- AP is reporting that he repeatedly offered a staffer $5 million to serve as a baby surrogate for him and his wife. That might just seem strange and inappropriate but not necessarily resignation-worthy, but Franks' own statement mentions his preference for "pro-life" conception, which I think means he was asking his staffer for sex until she got pregnant. He did talk about what a special and wonderful person helped them have twins before...

https://apnews.com/ca905b7b6e264683832a038521f5353f

17 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

It does. Heck, that church shooting where the dude shot INFANTS was barely in the news cycle for a full week.

Yup. As many have said several times before, America has made it's bed on the issue of gun violence. 

On another note, here's a funny article on just some of the crazy things Roy Moore has said over the years. One thing that jumped out at me that I hadn't heard before: he believes evolution isn't real. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

On another note, here's a funny article on just some of the crazy things Roy Moore has said over the years. One thing that jumped out at me that I hadn't heard before: he believes evolution isn't real. 

He's a Christianist Southern Republican. Couldn't you just assume he doesn't believe in evolution?

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yup. As many have said several times before, America has made it's bed on the issue of gun violence. 

Creationism and evolution denial is par for the course for evangelical Christians. Shit, I'd be shocked if Roy Moore DID believe in evolution.

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

He's a Christianist Southern Republican. Couldn't you just assume he doesn't believe in evolution?

Sure I guess, I just had never heard him say it. I try to avoid making assumptions about people*, but this one isn't shocking.

*Expect @Pony Queen Jace and her trucker hat phase. I'm all in on that being a 100% accurate thing.

:P

Just now, Triskele said:

I hate to share Chait's pessimism, but I do.  Why would lines not continue to be crossed?  

Yeah, it's a chilling reminder. Trump has shown no hesitation to break every cherished norm and rule in our political culture, and the Republican Party has shown no ability or desire to restrain him. Waiting for the Republicans to tell him no is like waiting for Lucy to let Charlie Brown kick the football.

54 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

More detail on Trent Franks -- AP is reporting that he repeatedly offered a staffer $5 million to serve as a baby surrogate for him and his wife. That might just seem strange and inappropriate but not necessarily resignation-worthy, but Franks' own statement mentions his preference for "pro-life" conception, which I think means he was asking his staffer for sex until she got pregnant. He did talk about what a special and wonderful person helped them have twins before...

Shit for 5 million dollars, I’d carry his baby.

Trump’s casual tax comments scald his Hill allies, again
For months, the president insisted his red line was a 20 percent corporate tax rate. Then he said something else.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/08/trump-tax-corporate-rate-comments-287810

Final tax bill vote in House won't come next week, GOP leader says

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/08/final-tax-vote-schedule-timeline-287243?lo=ap_e1

Someone waiting for that final tolling bell, Papadopoulos, was 'not a coffee boy' but someone who interacted with very senior Trump campaign people, says his fiancée in a CNN interview. A role people like Mannafort  don't recall anymore. She's talking because he's been told by his lawyers to keep his mouth shut before his sentencing.

How the Tax Deal Could Fall Apart
Republicans still need to figure out some thorny details.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/12/how_the_tax_deal_could_fall_apart.html

James O’Keefe’s Big-Money Donors Revealed
Tax documents obtained by The Daily Beast reveal the 35 benefactors behind the conservative guerilla activists at Project Veritas.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/james-okeefes-big-money-donors-revealed

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

:ack::ack::ack:

Seems quite a few republicans have severe doubts or qualms about the tax plan:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/gop-abandoned-conservative-principles-with-tax-bills/ar-BBGoD8C?ocid=msnclassic

I find myself wondering if it might not be 'accidently-on purpose' sabotaged on some technicality or other rather than brought up for a vote.

4 hours ago, Warlock of Quarth said:

Welp, that will pretty much give fence sitters the fig leaf needed to cast a vote for Moore. "See? The accusers were a bunch of godless lying whores after all!". Of course, it doesn't change the basics of the accusations at all, but Moore supporters will use anything to deny the veracity of the accusations and to justify their vote. Stick a fork in it, Jones is finished and Moore will be seated. What a world we live in...

I don't think it is that clear cut. For one thing, a substantial fraction of the media is doing a fairly good job downplaying this. I was watching the PBS News Hour a few hours ago and they did a story on the accuser and Allred giving an interview. If there was something about part of the yearbook message being written by the accuser, it was so brief that I missed it. Likewise, the CNN article on the front page is titled "Roy Moore accuser says she made notes in yearbook" which is quite innocuous (although, ironically, the URL of the page contains "roy-moore-accuser-alters-yearbook-entry" -- I guess their systems people aren't as skilled at such presentation as their journalists :D).

That said, Fox and Breitbart seem to be milking it for all its worth so if it is a matter of turnout among people who frequent conservative news sources, it might help Moore.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Liberals really need to start aggressively populating small town.  I'm so sick of perfectly beautiful rural areas being destroyed by a mass of confederate flags and their bearers.  

Find someone to match my household income in a small town/ rural area, or give me a million dollars or something, and I will gladly volunteer.  I grew up in a small town and I spend a significant amount of time plotting to get out of city life.  I don’t necessarily hate living in large cities, there’s a lot to like about it, but honestly I would rather not.  I like humans a lot more when I’m not around quite so many of them.

55 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Liberals really need to start aggressively populating small town.  I'm so sick of perfectly beautiful rural areas being destroyed by a mass of confederate flags and their bearers.  

Fucking a.  I'm in a small town in upstate NY and there are two houses within a mile of me that fly Confederate flags.  Both had giant Trump/maga signs  in the front yards all last fall.  And a couple of other douchebags that have confederate flags on their trucks insee around town several times a week.  Wtf.  

Two years ago the Dems ran a popular but eccentric celebrity cop for town council and he was defeated by a Republican by about 600 to 350.  

57 minutes ago, S John said:

Find someone to match my household income in a small town/ rural area, or give me a million dollars or something, and I will gladly volunteer.  I grew up in a small town and I spend a significant amount of time plotting to get out of city life.  I don’t necessarily hate living in large cities, there’s a lot to like about it, but honestly I would rather not.  I like humans a lot more when I’m not around quite so many of them.

You could always work in coal.  Or wait around for coal to come back.  Or else get on welfare and complain about the welfare queens ruining the country.  Or be a youtube star.

21 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Fucking a.  I'm in a small town in upstate NY and there are two houses within a mile of me that fly Confederate flags.  Both had giant Trump/maga signs  in the front yards all last fall.  And a couple of other douchebags that have confederate flags on their trucks insee around town several times a week.  Wtf.  

Two years ago the Dems ran a popular but eccentric celebrity cop for town council and he was defeated by a Republican by about 600 to 350.  

I'm in PA now and I know I shouldn't have been surprised but I still kinda am at how 'in your face' confederate flags are around here.  They were ubiquitous in the south, but they are just as much up here too.  Plus all of the Trump/Pence/MAGA and overt racism stuff.  We were looking at property in a small town and the dude comes walking up with a trump coffee mug and spits his chew on the ground in front of us and asks if we planned to send our negro kids to school in town.  Um...not anymore!

Bummed to hear it's the same in upstate NY as I'm considering looking in that area as well.  I love small towns.  Or rather, I love the idea of small towns.  I just can't stand the idea of living near these nasties.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

You could always work in coal.  Or wait around for coal to come back.  Or else get on welfare and complain about the welfare queens ruining the country.  Or be a youtube star.

My great-great grandfather was killed in a coal mine explosion in West Virginia in 1912.  Despite distinct West Virginianess, no members of the S John family have gone to the mines in 100 years and I don't intend to change that trend. I hate attention so youtube is out.  Welfare it is!

As an aside, coal mining hasn't ever done shit for West Virginia but not enough people there see it.  Sure, jobs, but the real money has always flowed out of state. Over 100 years of the coal industry holding serve and what do we have to show for it?  A shit load of problems to go along with generations of sackless politicians afraid to buck the 'jobs' mantra.  Poverty, opiods, not a lot of hope, and both parties let it happen.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42287429

The US envoy to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, has accused the UN of damaging the prospects for peace between Israel and the Palestinians.

The organisation "has outrageously been one of the world's foremost centres of hostility towards Israel", she said.

Mrs Haley was addressing an emergency meeting of the Security Council called after President Donald Trump's decision to move the US embassy to Jerusalem.

To sow confusion, the Palestinians should start marching with Tiki torches, supporting statues and chanting that "Jews will not replace us".

That seems to be what it takes to get an allowance that  "There are good people on both sides".

Archived