US Politics: For Whom the Bell Tolls

Fragile Bird

6 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I always like to eat lunch first thing at 9am.  Makes the work day go by faster amirite.

I'm really dumb and shit, so my boss once managed to trick me into taking lunches in between seeing patients as part of my effort to make the day go by 'faster'. It only worked for like a week, but you can imagine my embarrassment.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I always like to eat lunch first thing at 9am.  Makes the work day go by faster amirite. 

I know I know, next you'll try to excuse it by claiming maybe it was their breakfast hour.  Shouldn't be at any hour while at work, especially when in a government building. We ought to be doing everything we can to discourage reliance on this type of stuff.  We should not be teaching our kids that acting as those these myths and fairy tales are literally true.  It's disgusting.

Just for clarity's sake, Gillibrand's Twitter response to Trump's attack is time-stamped at 7:53 am. So she very well could have been participating in a prayer/Bible study breakfast prior to the beginning of her work day.

Just now, The Great Unwashed said:

Just for clarity's sake, Gillibrand's Twitter response to Trump's attack is time-stamped at 7:53 am. So she very well could have been participating in a prayer/Bible study breakfast prior to the beginning of her work day.

Thanks for that information. 

Of course, had a Republican politician made a statement about attending a Bible study event at work, I'm sure the entire forum would have been applauding, and certainly not lining up accusations of hypocrisy, false piety and so on and so forth.

39 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Must be frank. I read the tweet and thought I had the wrong one as I couldn't find the sexist reference. Had to read it a second and then a third time before I found the part that could be touted as offensive, if you stretched it.

You guys must have dirtier minds than I have.

What exactly do you do for a living? Are you a hermit who lives in a cave?

I was in grade school, probably younger than 10, when I first understood that that when a boy said "she'll do anything" it meant something lewd. Everyone knew. Details were filled in later.

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

What exactly do you do for a living? Are you a hermit who lives in a cave?

I was in grade school, probably younger than 10, when I first understood that that when a boy said "she'll do anything" it meant something lewd. Everyone knew. Details were filled in later.

When you put it like that...

In the context of the tweet I just didn't see it, that's all. Amidst the stuff about being disloyal to Bill blabla, it read to me like it was talking about her not being particularly loyal to specific causes or policies, as long as the price was right. Look, I just pointed out that the sexual reference didn't jump out at me at first or second read. I was more interested in who this person was and what her connection to Bill (presumably Clinton) and Crooked (presumably Hillary) was.

Anyway, we all interpret things from our particular frame of reference.

4 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

No.  Then that would have been ten minutes before Trump's tweet.  It was also stated that this was a work event, with her colleagues.  

21 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

What if he made that exact same statement to a male senator?

This is about as relevant, and makes about as much sense, as saying 'what if he had never said it at all?'

'What ifs' aren't helpful. He didn't say it about a male senator (and he didn't say it to any senator). The context is what it is, and it is disingenuous at best to pretend that context doesn't matter.

35 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Yeah right, keyword is Vertebrate man. I'm just racking up some bio credits. I actually have Abnormal Psych on my list of potential classes to take in the next year.

I can't believe you'd think I would give up my control on humans. In a year Kal will flee in terror from every female 'doctor' he sees!

Nah, just the short ones wearing trucker hats with Andrew Luck’s slobber on them.

27 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I found two slang definitions of booming by googling. Do you mean you were playing the drinking game involving bouncing balls, or taking hallucinogenic mushrooms?

Either way, if you then scored 96% on an Abnormal Psychology test, I really wonder about the adequacy of the course you were taking. :)

The latter, and how dare you question the fine education I received at the University of Minnesota!

In all seriousness, college was easy. I put in very little effort and graduated Summa Cum Laude with high distinction. You just have to be willing to put in the work, and it helps when all your professors genuinely like you. I was the student that always bailed them out when they’d ask a question and receive a deafening silence from the class.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

No.  Then that would have been ten minutes before Trump's tweet.  It was also stated that this was a work event, with her colleagues.  

From the same article I linked, Trump's attack is time-stamped at 7:03 am.

From the same article I linked, Trump's attack is time-stamped at 7:03 am.

I have no idea what you are looking at or why it would be different, but it's clearly stamped at 8:03, with Gillibrand's 50 minutes later.  

37 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

But I guess if you are looking for the tiniest hint of anything of that nature coming from Trump, one can find it pretty much in any ambiguous statement he makes.

Oh yeah, the well-worn trope of casting the people pointing out problems as the ones intent on finding problems and inventing ones. 

We haven't heard that one before. 

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They don't want the US as it exists.  They want Gilead of the Handmaid's Tale.

It's extremely sad how accurate that is. About a week ago there were a number of articles about a bunch of female alt-right social media and youtube personalities that were shocked that a bunch of alt-righters were literally trying to troll them off the internet and harass them for not living up to the "traditional" women's roles that they espouse. Those roles being getting married as a teenager, having at least 5 kids by their early 20s, and refusing to have any role outside the household in favor of supporting men to do it for them instead.

Every now and then you'd come across alt-Nazi stooges in the comments and you'd get nuggets from them straight out of Gilead. For example:

Current drama aside, the Alt Right’s ideas transcend the personalities advocating them.

The Alt Right has rediscovered and articulated for our time our ancestors’ wisdom that man finds his fulfillment by living in extended patriarchal families, tribes and nations of people who share a common historical ancestry and a common culture. This vision of human flourishing and the good life situates the Alt Right in the humanist tradition, but oriented towards white people’s interests.

And this world view contrasts sharply with our elites’ childish and damaging utopianism, which has forced on us at gunpoint feminism, degeneracy and diversity, regardless of how much suffering this social engineering inflicts on the individuals caught up in it.

Man simply cannot thrive under these conditions, and the young men drawn to the Alt Right recognize in it a model for a normal life that supports and works with man’s nature.

Who really shows the better understanding of reality here? And who really has man’s best interests in mind?

And:

That anyone thinks McCarthy is Alt Right just shows how out of touch the media is. She is just someone trying to get rich beta farming the Alt Right. The simple fact is that if women want to be involved in politics, they should find a good man to support in his politics.

Plus images like this screencap from 4chan. (Note, thot = that hoe over there, poster uses it so much it's hard to tell what they're saying without knowing that. Tradthot = traditional thot, obviously with the poster in question put quotation marks around traditional.)

10 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I have no idea what you are looking at or why it would be different, but it's clearly stamped at 8:03, with Gillibrand's 50 minutes later.  

Maybe because I'm on Central time? I don't use Twitter so I don't know how their timestamps work, but I checked three different sources and all have the 7:03 and 7:53 timestamps.

8 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

In fairness, despite being a Murdoch owned, Sky News is fine. It's not like Fox News in the US or anything.

I actually enjoy Sky News. I find it about as neutral as you will probably get for a European channel. I just meant my "liberal" remark in the context of the call it "post religious" attitudes that permeate Europe. Where people like Tony Blair are for example mocked just because he professes to pray and be an active Christian. In that context conservative Christians of course appear to be kooks and country bumpkins.

As the reporter clearly portrayed it in his phrasing and tone of voice.

It was just an observation that jumped out at me. Not intended as criticising Sky News in this instance. I understand the environment they operate in.

Maybe because I'm on Central time? I don't use Twitter so I don't know how their timestamps work, but I checked three different sources and all have the 7:03 and 7:53 timestamps.

Perhaps it is some sort of time zone setting.  Started at 8, with news stories posting shortly after then updated as Gilibrand commented 50 minutes later.  

In any case, it's obviously a work related bible study.  We already know that the Senate Chaplain teaches at least one a week, on top of having multiple bible related events each week and month as well as leading a prayer before senate each day.  It's disgusting.  Excellent troll by Gilibrand's office, but still disgusting that this shit exists in our government buildings.  

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Perhaps it is some sort of time zone setting.  Started at 8, with news stories posting shortly after then updated as Gilibrand commented 50 minutes later.  

In any case, it's obviously a work related bible study.  We already know that the Senate Chaplain teaches at least one a week, on top of having multiple bible related events each week and month as well as leading a prayer before senate each day.  It's disgusting.  Excellent troll by Gilibrand's office, but still disgusting that this shit exists in our government buildings.  

Religiosity is the American flag lapel pin before there was an American flag lapel pin. 

23 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

In fairness, despite being a Murdoch owned, Sky News is fine. It's not like Fox News in the US or anything.

Well yeah, but that's because Fox News is straight propaganda and the UK has laws on that sort of thing.

Archived