US Politics: For Whom the Bell Tolls

Fragile Bird

34 minutes ago, TerraPrime said:

Religiosity is the American flag lapel pin before there was an American flag lapel pin. 

My daughter competes in Debate and the league she competes in is fairly conservative and Evangelical.  She refuses to wear the ubiquitous "American Flag Lapel pin".  I've gotten in trouble when I discussed why Young Earth Creationism is a load of crap with some of the competitors while waiting to pick up my daughter at a tournament.  

45 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

I actually enjoy Sky News. I find it about as neutral as you will probably get for a European channel. I just meant my "liberal" remark in the context of the call it "post religious" attitudes that permeate Europe. Where people like Tony Blair are for example mocked just because he professes to pray and be an active Christian. In that context conservative Christians of course appear to be kooks and country bumpkins.

Actually, for eurocommies like myself, the word we'd want to use to talk about Moore is "nutjob."
You're welcome.

So,,,Senator Charles Grassley has actually come out and criticized two of Trump's judicial appointment nominations, the guy from Texas who called transgender children the spawn of Satan and same-sex marriages as leading to polygamy, and the guy in Alabama who's wife works as a lawyer in the WH, and who has never conducted a court case, and has suggested they be withdrawn.

Yes Casey Mulligan is a conservative idiot.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/12/12/we-are-even-more-convinced-that-thousands-will-die-prematurely-if-the-aca-is-repealed/

On Monday, The Washington Post published an article by Casey Mulligan and Tomas Philipson attacking Lawrence Summers’s statement that “thousands” of individuals would die if the Republican tax bill became law. Summers reached his estimate after carefully reviewing the literature and consulting with health economists Jonathan Gruber and Mulligan and Philipson’s University of Chicago colleague Dean Kate Baicker, who has published a number of influential studies on the impact of health insurance on health.

Casey Mulligan is conservative buffoon. The number of cringworthy face palm inducing comments he has made over the last few years is miraculous.

This the clown that back in late 2008 said the fundamentals of the economy were strong.

Not that anyone should care what this clown has to say, but anyway.

While Summers claimed only that thousands would die in the future, the Baicker et al. studies suggest that at least one person dies for every 1,000 people who lose health insurance. Even with very conservative assumptions about how many people will lose health insurance as a result of the repeal of the Affordable Care Act's individual mandate, this implies tens of thousands of premature deaths.

Mulligan and Philipson make errors in logic and engage in a highly selective use of evidence.

Making errors in logic is Casey Mulligan's specialty.

In particular, numerous studies over the past 15 years using strong research designs have found that expanding health-insurance coverage improves health care.  Mulligan and Philipson instead choose to focus on the one article that does not show significant effects on physical health, without highlighting that (a) that same study found massive improvements in mental health, (b) that study had a short follow-up period and (c) that study’s results are sufficiently imprecise that they can’t rule out the mortality effects cited in Summers’s earlier article.  

So in other words Mulligan pulled the same sorry ass tactics as conservative policy wonk healthcare guy (and clown) Avik Roy. Oh, why am I not surprised.

They argue that the tax bill will save lives by promoting economic growth.

This is perhaps the most disingenuous part of their argument. In a recent survey of renowned economists from across the political spectrum sponsored by the University of Chicago , only one said the bill would substantially increase economic growth, and he later recognized that he had misread the question.

Okay first of all Mulligan was talking about labor supply problems in 2009. And kept on that issue for years, even though that wasnt’ the problem.

He made comments about models he didn’t understand.

And then, he’s the guy that got the Federal Funds Rate and the Discount Rate confused. Nobody should listen to Mulligans pronouncements about “growth”.

The United States is facing a crisis of confidence in our academic institutions

Because of guys like Casey Mulligan.

3 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

SHS- Only if your mind is in the gutter would you read that tweet as sexual, the prez will not apologize. Gilibrand a puppet of special interests, Trump wants to drain the swamp.

Yea, as expected, she's using her pulpit to attack Gillibrand and doing it in a way that is clearly hypocritical given the GOP tax bill.

This argument that the public has already heard the accusations against the president and elected him into office so there is no point in bringing them up again is very bad unless you buy Trump's delusion that he actually won the popular vote. We have an outdated electoral system that ultimately puts people into office- fine. But you cannot read public opinion into electoral votes when the fact stands that the majority of voters went against him, they did not choose him despite the accusers.

8 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

It's a very different political climate these days.  Back then conservative sorts of people were voting democratic for economic reasons.  These days, they vote Republican primarily for anti woman, anti POC, and anti lgbt reasons, and those things are infinitely more important to them than the economic ones.  To them, anything that values women, POC and LGBT folks is evil regardless if it would improve their own lives. 

I disagree wrt women. They value women very highly, as commodities. What they don't like is the devaluing of the commodity value of women. A woman's value is in the factory that occupies her lower abdomen. Therefore anything that decreases the productivity (and value) of that factory is to be opposed.

Just now, Morpheus said:

This argument that the public has already heard the accusations against the president and elected him into office so there is no point in bringing them up again is very bad unless you buy Trump's delusion that he actually won the popular vote. We have an outdated electoral system that ultimately puts people into office- fine. But you cannot read public opinion into electoral votes when the fact stands that the majority of voters went against him, they did not choose him despite the accusers.

It is and even if he won the popular vote, 63 million Americans still voted against him. Those should be represented as well.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It is and even if he won the popular vote, 63 million Americans still voted against him. Those should be represented as well.

Oh, definitely. It's just that their argument claims that Trump won in the court of public opinion, and that is just false.

1 minute ago, Morpheus said:

Oh, definitely. It's just that their argument claims that Trump won in the court of public opinion, and that is just false.

90% of their arguments are false. They say false things all the time. Hell, Trump just said this morning he doesn't know any of the women he sexually harassed, which is blatantly false given he fired one from The Apprentice and called another fat (during the campaign) in Miss America.

1 minute ago, Morpheus said:

I think there is also the small point that guilt or innocence of a criminal act is not a matter of public opinion. Even if a plurality of people voted for Trump, it's irrelevant to the question of him being accountable for those assaults if a prima facie case can be put before the courts (or congress). The only way public opinion is relevant here is because public opinion put him into an office that makes it more difficult to bring a prosecution against him.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:I think there is also the small point that guilt or innocence of a criminal act is not a matter of public opinion. Even if a plurality of people voted for Trump, it's irrelevant to the question of him being accountable for those assaults if a prima facie case can be put before the courts (or congress). The only way public opinion is relevant here is because public opinion put him into an office that makes it more difficult to bring a prosecution against him.

Agree 100%.

The public opinion argument is the only one I hear and read repeated ad nauseum and it is just driving me a little crazy today.

15 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I disagree wrt women. They value women very highly, as commodities. What they don't like is the devaluing of the commodity value of women. A woman's value is in the factory that occupies her lower abdomen. Therefore anything that decreases the productivity (and value) of that factory is to be opposed.

Shockingly, women actually are more than some lower abdomen organs.  

Women's heads exploding all over the country, in every sphere of life.They're saying, that's it, we are coming for you, cheetolini. 

And they're increasingly organized.  

T***p has declared that the Me Too backlash is fully on. Which means, signalled to his cadres.  Who are already whipped up into defending pedophiles -- some of whom we see even here.

Gillibrand's tweet today was retweeted four times as much as T***p's tweet attacking her. 

>You cannot silence me or the millions of women who have gotten off the sidelines to speak out about the unfitness and shame you have brought to the Oval Office.

It hasn't been said better, and it needed to be said, but it couldn't have been said before now, though it should have been.  

Game on. The women are coming for cheetolini. At least, that's the media narrative we're feeling today.

I also learned, which I hadn't known, that Gillibrand is the only senator who has not voted in favor of confirming at least one of T***p's nominees. Eff Chuck Schumer.  In the end, about just about anything, just about all women are stronger and have more courage than men -- maybe General Ulysses S. Grant excluded, who certainly suffered pain equal to most women -- and who had nothing but the greatest respect, admiration and decency about all women, whomever they were, including Confederate women who hated him, not just his wife and daughter and those of his friends.

14 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

SHS was raised by a bigoted sexual predator apologist, specifically an apologist for child molestation. So I expected nothing less from her.

A dead behind the eyes, ruthless propagandist and a dog murderer, Mikey is dad of the century. And his twitter feed, mixing the casual racism and sexism of dad humor with the virulent racism and sexism of a fundie loon, brilliant.

Archived