Worst theory you've ever heard

Livesundersink

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

Nothing about the scales in the series is in any way "realistic" and has never been so, meaning that isn't even an argument. The North by itself doesn't even come close to being "realistic" as a unified political body.

This is true yes.

Because no single faction was strong and smart enough to do so? Also sometimes it needs a smart, outside mind to solve a problem.

Because no single faction had dragons is the correct answer.

Uh no it isn't. I'm tried of rattling that down again and again. Riverlands, Crownlands, Dornish Marches, Ironborn etc. etc. etc. For a medieval, feudal Kingdom the Seven Kingdoms are pretty damn stable and peaceful, even under the Baratheons before the War of Five Kings started.

Not minding all the rebellions and civil wars they are peaceful.

Theories that dismiss or completely contradicts GRRM's former works. 

Yeah, in the middle of writing his magnum opus, a guy that has spent a lifetime making political science fiction decides to say "nah, screw all of that, Imma 180° this bitch so hard I might actually get in shape". 

So everything involving the white walker being an ultimate evil, Chosen ones, magical artifacts etc etc.

23 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

No, she repeated a very credible rumour. Hoat is a psychopath with a penchant for amputation and any rational human wouldn't be waiting around to see if they were to be the next victim if they had a way out. Sure, the guard was probably not evil like Vargo and his men, but (like most people would) he took the easy path by tolerating that evil as long as it did not negatively effect him. But really, his morality or lack thereof is beside the point - blaming any victim of a crime against humanity for not just sitting there and taking it is just vile.

What are you even talking about?  She murdered a guard, could have been a Manderly or a Glover as much as a Bolton, he is simply a Northern soldier, there is no reason to see them as Ramsay's boys or the Mountain's men.  He is a victim of murder, how about we consider that?  At no point does she face the reality of the rumour she spreads and neither does Gendry believe it nor she herself, it is a means to an end and a subterfuge at that: it's never kill this guard or lose your foot.  Nice white washing though and nice victim-blaming while making Arya out to be the victim and the sentry the perpetartor. :o

It seems you consider faulting Arya here to be "vile".  I would seriously reccommend you consider your knee-jerk reaction to defend Arya come what may here.

4 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

What are you even talking about?  She murdered a guard, could have been a Manderly or a Glover as much as a Bolton, he is simply a Northern soldier, there is no reason to see them as Ramsay's boys or the Mountain's men.  He is a victim of murder, how about we consider that?  At no point does she face the reality of the rumour she spreads and neither does Gendry believe it nor she herself, it is a means to an end and a subterfuge at that: it's never kill this guard or lose your foot.  Nice white washing though and nice victim-blaming while making Arya out to be the victim and the sentry the perpetartor. :o

It seems you consider faulting Arya here to be "vile".  I would seriously reccommend you consider your knee-jerk reaction to defend Arya come what may here.

You have the gall to accuse me of victim blaming when you are the one siding with the concentration camp guards over an 11-year-old. As I said, the guard, like most of those killed in the war, is not evil but is certainly less innocent than most. Unless you are going to brand almost every combatant in the war as immoral and a murderer for killing an opposing fighter, rather than staying their hand and taking their chances, then it is deeply hypocritical to accuse Arya of being wrong for not waiting to see if she would have her extremities chopped off or end up like Pia (and even then those soldiers ended up in that situation far more willingly than Arya did). But apparently you aren't taking this harsh but somewhat consistent line, as the guard has suddenly become the epitome of all moral virtue.

I really don't mind any theory or hypothesis out there. Yes, there are a few trollish handfulls of threads that are just a place for trolls to gather. But as long as someone can backup what they are saying and that they can admit it is theory/hypothesis/crackpot... and they don't condescend others for not agreeing with them... then I can read anything (even if I don't agree in the end). I rather enjoy reading some of these crazy ideas :)

I'd say that the few theories that are a hands down "worst", are the ones that rely in anyway upon the abomination to either "fill-in" gaps of information we do not have, or to try and assume that the showrunners understand and "got" the subtleties and messages of ASOAIF. There is a reason why GRRM considers the abomination as, "another universe".

5 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

13 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

You have the gall to accuse me of victim blaming when you are the one siding with the concentration camp guards over an 11-year-old. As I said, the guard, like most of those killed in the war, is not evil but is certainly less innocent than most. Unless you are going to brand almost every combatant in the war as immoral and a murderer for killing an opposing fighter, rather than staying their hand and taking their chances, then it is deeply hypocritical to accuse Arya of being wrong for not waiting to see if she would have her extremities chopped off or end up like Pia (and even then those soldiers ended up in that situation far more willingly than Arya did). But apparently you aren't taking this harsh but somewhat consistent line, as the guard has suddenly become the epitome of all moral virtue.

Not sure what all this is doing in a thread about "Worst Theories' ; not to mention it seems to have gotten a bit over-wrought on both sides.  If you mean that "Arya Stark is so badly damaged that she cannot lead a normal life" is among the worst theories, I'm with you.  I disagree, however, with "Arya can do no wrong and I agree with everything she has done", although that is less a theory than a moral stance.  

As for the discussion at hand, I think she was justified in killing the guard.  She felt endangered, probably correctly, and that was the most likely way out.  I do have a problem with her blase attitude towards it, as well as some of her later actions when she is not under threat.  I am troubled by an 11 year old killing people; I am also troubled by cheering an 11 year old killing people.  

7 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

That man was a combatant guarding a gate she needed to escape to avoid being kept as a virtual prisoner, no? 

3 hours ago, Nevets said:

Not sure what all this is doing in a thread about "Worst Theories' ; not to mention it seems to have gotten a bit over-wrought on both sides.  If you mean that "Arya Stark is so badly damaged that she cannot lead a normal life" is among the worst theories, I'm with you.  I disagree, however, with "Arya can do no wrong and I agree with everything she has done", although that is less a theory than a moral stance.  

As for the discussion at hand, I think she was justified in killing the guard.  She felt endangered, probably correctly, and that was the most likely way out.  I do have a problem with her blase attitude towards it, as well as some of her later actions when she is not under threat.  I am troubled by an 11 year old killing people; I am also troubled by cheering an 11 year old killing people.  

Agreed on the first part and I won't go off at a tangent any furher.  I'm just shocked at the lack of empathy for a guard who was simply guarding a gate to a castle in contested area during a war. 

44 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

That man was a combatant guarding a gate she needed to escape to avoid being kept as a virtual prisoner, no? 

If she revealed herself to Bolton (or Glover while he was there) then no one is chopping anything off and she is wrapped in cotton wool.

On 12/8/2017 at 6:25 AM, Livesundersink said:

Title says it all, tell me what's the worst theory you've come across thus far in ASOIAF.

Jon is Azor Ahai is a stupid theory.  Jon did not and will not awaken dragons from stone. 

10 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

I'm just shocked at the lack of empathy for a guard who was simply guarding a gate to a castle in contested area during a war. 

No offence, but I read posts like this, and can't help but think of the running gag in Austin Powers about the deaths of the poor henchmen. 

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

Fixed that for you :-) 

Elmar Frey is her betrothed and he was at Harrenhall.  Hindsight is wonderful, hey?

1 hour ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

No offence, but I read posts like this, and can't help but think of the running gag in Austin Powers about the deaths of the poor henchmen. 

None taken.  If the sentry had been a Glover or a Cerwyn would you react the same.  It's ok if he's a Bolton though cos hindsight, right?

5 minutes ago, the trees have eyes said:

None taken.  If the sentry had been a Glover or a Cerwyn would you react the same.  It's ok if he's a Bolton though cos hindsight, right?

I literally have no opinion about the untimely demise of Unidentified Door Guard #1. Sorry.

Archived