mistakes of hand of the king Eddard stark

Alex Gu

10 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

You missed an important one.  Ned trusted Arya and Sansa with his secret plan to leave King's Landing.  And we all know what happened:  Sansa ratted him out to their enemy in the hopes that her family will be forced to stay so she can be with Joffrey.

True true, also telling Cersei was not very smart. I mean really, Eddard barely did a thing right hahah

Even when he is thrown in the cells he is still defiant, he thinks of the twenty men of his guard that he sent out with Beric Dondarrion, he thinks that they will come back to King's Landing and raise hell. I had to laugh at that when i first read it, how in the hell will twenty men stand against the thousands of gold cloaks that Cersei has in her pocket.

He also thinks that the Vale will answer the call, but then he doesn't know that Lysa is bat shit insane and that she was happy to be rid of her husband.

He has a very single minded view of how things should work and has difficulty getting his head around other people's motives and actions and refuses to consider or accept it when others go against his methof of thinking.

I give Ned more slack than most. He was obviously way over his head, but the thing is he KNEW he was. He knew full well that he didn't know how to play this game. And even then, the only thing that came between him and "victory" was Cersei's plan to get Bobby drunk enough that he died somehow worked. 

After this he knew that she would make a move and he tried (too late) to secure the Gold Cloaks. I know, I know... he shouldn't have trusted Little Finger but for 1) he never did trust him and 2) everyone trusted Littlrfinger. He should realized what LF had to loose with Stannis coming into power and that he wasn't going down without a fight. 

To me, his single biggest mistake during this time was not accepting Renlys help. He later reflexs that he should have taken him up on his offer of "100 men." But he baulked because of his love of children (probably Neds primary theme throughout the book).

I think hindsight hurts readers view on Ned dramaticly. 

Archived