NFL 2017: 3000 Miles to Jaceland

Jace, Extat

Oh fuck me with the wrong side of a shovel.

It's coming out that there isn't actually a rule against non-players being on the field clearing snow for a kick. I saw them doing it on Sunday, and honestly I thought that maybe we'd just gotten lucky.

But no! The truth is far more disturbing. It's against league POLICY for non-players to clear snow. So that means the refs couldn't flag the Colts because it was always going to be dealt with after the fact. Now god only knows what's going to happen. The Colts could lose fucking draft picks for this shit. Honestly if they lose a fifth or sixth and the competition committee decides the best option is to make it an enforceable in-game rule as well I'll be grateful.

Pats fans are going to start screaming for blood, and I totally get it. My only defense is that it's kind of an obscure rule and it doesn't make sense that the refs couldn't just deal with it there.

BUT

'Integrity of the game' and all that. Just like deflating footballs is literally 'altering the ball' as the anti-Brady crowd said, clearing snow is literally altering the playing surface. My only hope is that the league looks at it more like when teams heat up footballs. More of a kind of random incident than a 'conspiracy'.

12 hours ago, Rockroi said:

The Pats needed two scores at that point- a TD and a FG.  If they go for it on 4th and miss it, they lose.  So you might as well go for the easy three there because you need it one way or the other.  Going for the FG was the right move. 

The wrong move was getting off the bus at Miami.

You have to assume the onside kick regardless.  So is it easier to get a TD on 4th down from the 15 and a field goal from the 30 or so in under a minute?

Yes turning over on downs effectively ends the game but inside 2 minutes w one time out at some point the clock dictates TD first when youre already in the red zone.

36 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

It's coming out that there isn't actually a rule against non-players being on the field clearing snow for a kick. I saw them doing it on Sunday, and honestly I thought that maybe we'd just gotten lucky.

But no! The truth is far more disturbing. It's against league POLICY for non-players to clear snow. So that means the refs couldn't flag the Colts because it was always going to be dealt with after the fact. Now god only knows what's going to happen. The Colts could lose fucking draft picks for this shit. Honestly if they lose a fifth or sixth and the competition committee decides the best option is to make it an enforceable in-game rule as well I'll be grateful.

A fifth round pick for that would be totally ridiculous.  There were like two nonplayers who ran out to help with snow removal, and the refs yelled at them to get off, and they did.  There's a good chance those guys just didn't know the rule, and this wasn't some conspiracy of snowclearing.  I think that unlike most NFL rules, this is one where having a warning first makes sense, and then if they don't immediately comply, throw the flag.  Losing a draft pick (even a 7th) would be an overreaction.  Fine the team a million dollars if you want. 

9 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

You have to assume the onside kick regardless.  So is it easier to get a TD on 4th down from the 15 and a field goal from the 30 or so in under a minute?

Yes turning over on downs effectively ends the game but inside 2 minutes w one time out at some point the clock dictates TD first when youre already in the red zone.

Miss that 4th and 15 and the game is over.  Kick it and survive. 4th and over 10 is such a long shot, I think they made the right call.

It may actually be harder to score from the 15 than from farther back.  You are far enough away to eliminate the possibility of just powering through but close enough to where the space to defend gets compacted.

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

A fifth round pick for that would be totally ridiculous.  There were like two nonplayers who ran out to help with snow removal, and the refs yelled at them to get off, and they did.  There's a good chance those guys just didn't know the rule, and this wasn't some conspiracy of snowclearing.  I think that unlike most NFL rules, this is one where having a warning first makes sense, and then if they don't immediately comply, throw the flag.  Losing a draft pick (even a 7th) would be an overreaction.  Fine the team a million dollars if you want. 

Don't TEMPT ME, Frodo!

I wouldn't put it past the Ginger cunt to make a show of force as Tom Savage having an obvious tonic-clonic seizure on the field then going back into the game is going to make the rounds.

Hope is such a precious thing, I must guard it jealously. CNN is far too optimistic today.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Pats fans are going to start screaming for blood, and I totally get it. My only defense is that it's kind of an obscure rule and it doesn't make sense that the refs couldn't just deal with it there.

BUT

'Integrity of the game' and all that. Just like deflating footballs is literally 'altering the ball' as the anti-Brady crowd said, clearing snow is literally altering the playing surface. My only hope is that the league looks at it more like when teams heat up footballs. More of a kind of random incident than a 'conspiracy'.

Ain't nothing new under the sun, homie :)

The NFL has always found certain manifestations of "home field advantage" (pronounced CHEAT-ing) endearing and quaint.  Human element LOL.  Agents of chaos!  What a great story this will make, especially once codified into mythos and legend by NFL films.

30+ years later and the loophole still isn't closed tells you everything you need to know and should already know after several years worth of "complete the process" bullshit and the ever-nebulous definition of "pass interference" and "unnecessary roughness" providing just the right amount of wiggle room whenever the wrong team is in danger of actually winning (or more importantly, covering).

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

BUT

I have all the structural factors in place to want to see the Colts gets hammered for this, but I can't bring myself to care whether or not team employees illegally helped clear snow. It doesn't seem like there are any owners desperate for vengeance against the Colts or that Goodell needs to make an example of them to prove he's not Irsay's stooge, so I bet this amounts to nothing.

I'd love for Bob Kravitz and the other Integrity of the Game pearl-clutchers in the Indianapolis to officially deplore it, but I won't hold my breath.

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

I have all the structural factors in place to want to see the Colts gets hammered for this, but I can't bring myself to care whether or not team employees illegally helped clear snow. It doesn't seem like there are any owners desperate for vengeance against the Colts or that Goodell needs to make an example of them to prove he's not Irsay's stooge, so I bet this amounts to nothing.

I'd love for Bob Kravitz and the other Integrity of the Game pearl-clutchers in the Indianapolis to officially deplore it, but I won't hold my breath.

It takes a big man to admit that he was wrong. You are that big man sir. You have accepted the erroneous nature of your previous position and acted accordingly to make amends. Many others here could do with learning from your example. I applaud you sir, for in your great and undeniably humbling acceptance of truth you have displayed true character deep, beneath the snow.

A bunch of NFL network former athletes are the latest to be popped for sexual harassment, as well as the guy Bill Simmons hired as President of the Ringer (oops). Wouldn't be surprised if 80% of our dipshit athlete studio analysts are out of jobs in the next few months.

8 minutes ago, sperry said:

A bunch of NFL network former athletes are the latest to be popped for sexual harassment, as well as the guy Bill Simmons hired as President of the Ringer (oops). Wouldn't be surprised if 80% of our dipshit athlete studio analysts are out of jobs in the next few months.

Kinda great, no?

17 minutes ago, sperry said:

Please get Ray Lewis. Please get Ray Lewis. Please get Ray Lewis. 

If we end up with Steve Young and Tony Dungy narrating highlights from the middle of a smoking crater in Bristol, I'd be okay with that.

Working with some high math (ha!) here to calculate the Dolphins' chances of making the playoffs.

First off:

They have to win out while the Titans lose out and the Raiders have to lose to the Chiefs but beat the Chargers who also have to lose to the Chiefs so that it's Baltimore at #5 and Miami at #6

I'm pretty sure there's a way for Miami to make it even if they lose to KC in week16, but that's some crazy math.

31 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Please get Ray Lewis. Please get Ray Lewis. Please get Ray Lewis. 

If we end up with Steve Young and Tony Dungy narrating highlights from the middle of a smoking crater in Bristol, I'd be okay with that.

Ol' Ray would be very high up on my list of expected.

4 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

The Patriots have signed Kenny Britt, because of course they haven't made a late season addition to deliver the Super Bowl victory yet.

Weird. Thought they were pretty stocked on receivers, unless Hogan's not good or Malcolm Mitchell isn't coming back his year. They kicked the tires on Britt in camp once, but I don't think he stuck.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nobody sans Tony Dungy would be shocking. 

Dungy and Steve Young are the only ESPN guys I would be shocked to see. There are athletes on these sports shows that I would be shocked NOT to see.

And in fairness to those accused on this one, this is part of a wrongful termination suit, so the claims definitely need to be investigated for veracity as there could be an ulterior motive.

17 minutes ago, sperry said:

Dungy and Steve Young are the only ESPN guys I would be shocked to see. There are athletes on these sports shows that I would be shocked NOT to see.

And in fairness to those accused on this one, this is part of a wrongful termination suit, so the claims definitely need to be investigated for veracity as there could be an ulterior motive.

Young would be more surprising than most, but Dungy, for me, is the only one that would be truly shocking. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nobody sans Tony Dungy would be shocking. 

53 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Young would be more surprising than most, but Dungy, for me, is the only one that would be truly shocking. 

If Mike Tirico is accused of anything more inappropriate than extreme cheer, I'm going lez

Archived