NFL 2017: 3000 Miles to Jaceland

Jace, Extat

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Well... at least there’s your black Dave Wannstedt.  He should grow a Magnum PI worthy mustache.

With the firing of Ben McAdoo, the head coaching ranks are sorely lacking in the stache department. Where's Jim Tomsula when he's needed???

31 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

With the firing of Ben McAdoo, the head coaching ranks are sorely lacking in the stache department. Where's Jim Tomsula when he's needed???

He's formed an Antifa band and is touring the country in his van.

Meanwhile, just got home with carryout and didn't get to see Mahomes once in the 1st drive.

I gotta see what this Rook's got in case Jim Irsay's the coaching hire.

No idea how the Ravens were in playoff contention coming into today. They’re awful. 

Bright spots for the Bengals: William Jackson III is a future star as a shutdown CB, and I’m good with letting Tyler “Mr. Glass” Eifert go this off-season with Tyler Kroft proving to be a very capable replacement. 

5 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Oh shit. Doesn't this give the Browns the longest playoff drought?

Longest playoff drought, winless season. Only one way they can go. And it will still take them a few years to go in that direction.

17 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Oh shit. Doesn't this give the Browns the longest playoff drought?

The Ohio NFL franchises are now in charge of longest playoff drought and long playoff win drought. It's still hard to believe the Bengals haven't won a playoff game since the first George Bush was in the White House...

18 minutes ago, Lord Lyman said:

Longest playoff drought, winless season. Only one way they can go. And it will still take them a few years to go in that direction.

I don't know, mass Euthanasia is a bit harsh before we even give them a chance to win one more next year...

29 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I don't know, mass Euthanasia is a bit harsh before we even give them a chance to win one more next year...

If you go back to the 2015 season when they won their last game of that year on December 13th, the Browns have sandwiched their lone win of the last two years between two 17 game losing streaks. Impressive. Most Impressive.

5 hours ago, Triskele said:

Pretty wild how Baltimore blew it.  And goddamnit, the Chargers so absolutely should have been a playoff team but had that terrible first month of close losses.  Who would you be more afraid of in the AFC playoffs right now between Chargers, Titans, and Bills?  Those last two are pretty weak playoff teams.

I thought they were the most complete bubble team.  Missing 2 fg against Miami really reallybit them in the bum.

13 hours ago, Triskele said:

I was pretty surprised to hear that Del Rio got canned this quickly after a great year last year but then someone reminded me that they might have done that specifically because they expect to get Gruden.

Also, 0-2 against your principal divisional rival (and only 3-3 against your division) is not really a great year even if it is 12-4 overall and your first playoff appearance in a decade.  Especially when it was the difference between winning the division as a #2 seed and limping in as the #5 or #6 seed.

Furthermore, they were 1-5 against their division this year (including once again 0-2 against that same principal division rival, who were themselves regressing this year and should have been more beatable). 

Remember Marshawn Lynch came out of retirement because this team was theoretically 1 Piece Away.

In this context 6-10 overall is inexcusable after the previous season.  1-5 against divisional opponents is inexcusable for any team in any season.  Last year was very good but this season was hot garbage (relative to expectations) and that's gotten coaches fired since time immemorial.

None of this has any bearing on Gruden's capacity to be an improvement (or even a lateral move), of course, but it's not crazy at all to see room for improvement and seek it.

The Raiders have traditionally had a short leash for their head coaches, anyway. 

Archived