NFL 2017: 3000 Miles to Jaceland

Jace, Extat

lol my bad with all the other eggs they laid this year I totally forgot they did actually technically win their home game against the Chiefs.

Okay hold on lemme move the goalposts a bit.

That's still 2-4 in the division after 3-3 last year which is still not good enough, especially considering how bad/non-competitive they were in the road losses.  Road divisional games are always going to be trouble.  Even the Patriots drop games in Miami, after all.  Chiefs, Broncos, Chargers, at no point in any of those games did it ever look like they could win them.  They looked pretty non-competitive in several other road games too (Washington, Buffalo).  Losing is one thing (especially now that we know Buffalo's actually a playoff team); consistently getting blown out is another.

And all this with essentially the same roster (improved on offense, even).

There's plenty of underperformance and regression to blame someone for and the head coach often gets held accountable for these sorts of things.  And if there's another guy/replacement out there the organization really wants, well then...

5 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

You cray cray. 

Hey, don't be close minded. I think he'd be a great choice to respectably bridge the Giants between franchise qbs. The Giants would be in the hunt for 4 years as the young kid marinates and Odell would love Chuck.

3 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Hey, don't be close minded. I think he'd be a great choice to respectably bridge the Giants between franchise qbs. The Giants would be in the hunt for 4 years as the young kid marinates and Odell would love Chuck.

It's really not that crazy and every option is open right now I'm sure. I'd rather have him than a Jim Schwartz.

I despise Richie Incognito but, otherwise, I actually feel really happy for the Bills in clinching a playoff birth for the first time since 1999, ending the longest playoff drought in the NFL. I think Buffalo gets almost forgotten or only recalled as the Pats whipping boy, but with a playoff birth they can finally take pride in something other than how many people have died at Bills games.  

In other news the Pats clinched their 9th playoff appearance in as many seasons and their 15th since 2001.  They also have home-filed throughout the playoffs (thank you refs for properly enforcing the rules), and are a lock for the AFC Championship game.  The Pats looked the strongest of any playoff team this week, but that has to be taken with a grain of salt: the Eagles had clinched home-field, the Steelers sat all their starters and several other teams were locked in place.  But the Pats still looked like a team that was ready to burn through the playoffs.  If the Steelers do not make any adjustments, the Pats will be on to Minnesota and possibly another Lombardi.  Here are the p[layoff teams and their records against other playoff teams:

Patriots:5-2 (.714); W: Pitt, Bills [x2], NO, Atl; L: Carolina, KC)

Eagles: 2-1 (.666),   W: Carolina, Rams L: KC, 

Pitt, 3-2, (.600),        W: Minn, KC, Tenn, L: Jax, Pats

Minn: 3-2 (.600),       W: NO, LA, Atlanta  L:Pitt, Carolina, 

LA Rams: 3-2 (.600), W: Jax, Tenn, NO,  L: Minn, Eagles

Saints: 4-4 (.500)     W: Carolina (x2), Bills, Falcons, L Vikings, Pats, Rams, Falcons

Carolina: 4-4 (.500)  W: Falcons, Pats, Bills, Minn, L: NO (x2), Eagles, Falcons

KC: 2-2 (.500),          W: Pats, Eagles, L: Steelers, Bills, 

Tenn: 2-2 (.500),        W: Jax (x2), L Steelers, Rams

Buff: 2-4, (.333)          W: Atlanta,KC, L: Carolina, NO, Pats [x2]

Atlanta: 2-5 (.285),     W: NO, Carolina, L: Bills, Pats, Carolina, Vikings, NO

Jax: 1-3 W (.250):       W: Steelers L: Tenn (x2), Rams, 

One thing that stands out?  All the perennial playoff teams- Green Bay, Seattle, Baltimore, and in some respects the Bengals, Texans, and Cowboys - who got bounced from the playoffs this season.  

The big three- Eagles, Steelers and Pats - all had winning records against the field, and looking at the records, that seems about right.  There is a bit if an asterisk; the Eagles played only three playoff teams total (by far the lowest of playoff teams) and lost Carson Wentz for the season.  They are therefore the least reliable #1 seed in quite a bit. The Rams and Vikings also had winning records against playoff teams, which also seem, right.  But I did expect the Rams to be a little better, with wins over two "meh" playoff teams - the Titans and the Jags - and then a win against a legit playoff team in NO, and losses to two really good teams, the Vikings and Eagles.

The .500 glut can be somewhat explained by the NFC South splitting much of their games to one another.  But New Orleans seemed to play its best football in the middle of the season, while its losses to the Vikings and Pats came in the first two games of the season.  On the other end of that Spectrum, The Chiefs won their first two games against playoff teams- v. Pats and Eagles - in their first two games of the season and only played two other playoff teams thereafter, losing them both.  Finally, Carolina looks equal parts formidable and weak, with wins against the Pats and Vikings but then faltering against New Orleans and the Eagles.  The Titans, meanwhile, were incredibly mediocre, which I expected.  The Vikings seemed strong and their 3-2 record suggests that with wins over NO and the Rams and losses to Pitt and Carolina.  

Rounding out the playoff picture, a bit of a surprise- the Jags seemed like they could possibly get a first round bye but upon further reflection, they were an anemic 1-3 against playoff teams with their only win being that spectacular meltdown by Big Ben, and then losses against the Rams and Titans. Atlanta seems like a classic "snuck into the playoffs" playoff team with a terrible 2-5 record.  And then you have the Bills which are a playoff team by default.  

Looking at just this piece I feel like the AFC is obviously Pats v. Steelers, and baring something insane, that seems like a safe bet.  Being at Foxboro that is a HUGE advantage for the Pats and I do not see them screwing that up.  I am not 100% sure who each team will play to get there but I would bet Jax and KC do what they need to.

The NFC is far murkier.  While I see the Rams making short work of the Falcons, NO v Carolina is a toss up, but I would say the Saints are playing better.  But I believe EACH of those teams (save the Falcons) can go into Phily and KO the Eagles (though, IIRC, it cannot be the Rams).  But regardless, that means the Vikings get a tough but not insurmountable team at home, and the winner of that game can beat the field.  So to me, with a hobbling Eagles team its Rams or Vikings, and my money would be  on the Vikings to face the Pats in the Superbowl.  

So, earlier this year I predicted that McAdoo, Arians, Fox, Pegano and Lewis would be Out a Job and I was right,

Sadly, I also predicted Jackson would get fired and he was not (which is FASCINATING because how else do you go 0-16 and keep your job?) and failed to predict that Del Rio would get canned. I have to say I am stunned that the Raiders players quit so rapidly on Del Rio.  I am also surprised that that the Raiders are so gung-ho on Gruden,  I honestly believed Gruden was just this decade's Bill Cowehr- a coach who is constantly mentioned in discussions of getting a new job, but never actually hired.  

Has the game passed Gruden by? Or is this a shrewd move by the Raiders? 

ETA: Also, fuck- they fired Caldwell. I bet that's the right move, but the Lions were in a rough position and I don't think it was bad coaching that kept them out.  

I don’t know what to think of Gruden to the Raiders.  Other than the rumors of an ownership stake are a really bad idea.

John Fox to Chicago looked like a good idea.  Now it’s three years later and he’s getting kicked to the curb.  

So what happens when Gruden is a part owner and he has three bad years?  Let’s not forget that after taking Tony Dungy’s team to win a Super Bowl where his former team didn’t change its signals he had been pretty mediocre.  I’ve never understood the fascination with the Grumors. :dunno: 

And on the topic of the Raiders in general, should we be all that surprised?  NFL history is full of teams who have a great season while playing a last place schedule, then fall back the next year when they have to play the first place schedule.

13 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Yup

I shouldn’t have said he should have been fired this morning, what I meant was an announcement the team is moving on from Marvin and he won’t be receiving another contract. 

Didn't Lewis say he'd be moving on a few weeks ago?  Or am I remembering incorrectly?

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

Didn't Lewis say he'd be moving on a few weeks ago?  Or am I remembering incorrectly?

It was reported he told the team that before the Lions game but he completely denies saying it. He has stated he wants to come back. 

7 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

It was reported he told the team that before the Lions game but he completely denies saying it. He has stated he wants to come back. 

Ah okay.  All I remembered were those reports then.

Wish the Browns could trade the Bengals Hue's dumb ass.  I loathe that he won the power struggle in Cleveland.  He just seems like such a piece of shit as a person.  He takes no accountability for his failures and throws everyone else under the bus, and worse yet the Browns' crook owner fucking buys his bullshit.

Should be interesting watching him and Dorsey butt heads though.

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

Ah okay.  All I remembered were those reports then.

Wish the Browns could trade the Bengals Hue's dumb ass.  I loathe that he won the power struggle in Cleveland.  He just seems like such a piece of shit as a person.  He takes no accountability for his failures and throws everyone else under the bus, and worse yet the Browns' crook owner fucking buys his bullshit.

Should be interesting watching him and Dorsey butt heads though.

I have mixed feelings on Hue. On one hand he had Andy Dalton having an MVP caliber season in 2015 as OC, but 9-39 is pretty dreadful as a HC. I also don’t really want any Bengals retreads. They need a completely new voice in that locker room. 

10 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I have mixed feelings on Hue. On one hand he had Andy Dalton having an MVP caliber season in 2015 as OC, but 9-39 is pretty dreadful as a HC. I also don’t really want any Bengals retreads. They need a completely new voice in that locker room. 

To be fair, like 31 of those loses are just the last 2 years :P

12 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

He strikes me as one of many guys who can be competent as an OC but is way out of his depth as a head coach.  But again, it's not just that he's a bad coach.  It's that he's a piece of shit person too.

Lewis' contract is up and the Bengals do not seem ready to resign him.  Lewis has said he wants to keep coaching, but I think that's just to let everyone know he's not retired so that he gets attention in the next 1-3 seasons.

And I, for one, think Bruce Arians was greatly overrated.  He's not a bad coach, but he did little after making it to the NFC Championship game two seasons ago (where the Cards were annihilated), yet by his reputation you would think he was going after his 3rd ring.  He's the winningest coach in Cards history which is akin to being the skinniest kid at Fat Camp.  

Archived