US Politics: the Moore things change...

Kalbear

8 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

He doesn't. Having regret would mean admitting he was wrong. I don't think he's capable of that. 

Well, he will blame this on other people --- not sure if he will focus on Bannon, or on McConnell, or on the news media, or on all three -- but he surely won't take responsibility for it himself. When actually Trump's tweet about Gillibrand this morning might have helped bring out educated suburban women around Huntsville and Birmingham to vote for Jones.

Quickly wrote down turnout a few minutes ago - between the two candidates I calculated 1,272,096.  If you look at previous Senate elections, that's kind of in the low middle with on-cycle contests - Shelby '98 is probably closest.  Anyway, it was a very high turnout for an off-cycle election, and Jones still won.  Eat that pessimists.  

15 minutes ago, Warlock of Quarth said:

Agreed. Last thing we need is 'boxes with uncounted votes' suddenly appearing in deep red precincts.

I don't really expect that, there's too many national eyes on the state. My bigger concern is that state officials slow walk things beyond the couple weeks they already announced would happen regardless of who won; for months on end.

Remember Minnesota in 2008? Franken didn't get seated until July 2009. That was a much closer race, but between friendly state courts and Moore not conceding (assuming he doesn't), this could drag out. At least it looks like Jones won by more than 0.5%, which would rule out the automatic recount.

Still, these are welcome problems to have, considering the alternative.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:
28 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Wow. Hoped for this but was really buttressing myself for a Moore win, because if I let myself feel anything beyond hope and wishful thinking for Jones' chances and he lost it would have been almost as bad but not quite like November 2016 all over again.

WTG those who put their blood sweat and tears on the line for this. Those braver than me and many others because they must have stretched their dreams past the point of heartbreak if they lost.

28 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

The US better all be thanking black voters, especially black women.  It's looking like they've bailed us out.  Again.

Awesome job black voters! THANK YOU! 

South Park got it wrong. It's not in the hands of the "Whites". I thought that even when I thought Moore was going to win. I thought it's in the hands of those who say "Screw you, we'll do this without you or against you and do it better!" The tipping point may not have been reached yet, defeats will again hang over us, bad days are still ahead of us, it's no sure thing we can pull us out of all the dangers stacked up, but one thing we got, in the future the resistance/minority faction will only get stronger. Tonight proves that pedal to the metal, the right thing can be accomplished. It just still takes a whole hell of a lot of gas right now. 

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Not necessarily. If they vote on it before Jones takes his seat, they could still pass it with Strange.

I imagine there's a lot of Republicans reconsidering their vote right now.  Even though you're of course technically right.

4 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Quickly wrote down turnout a few minutes ago - between the two candidates I calculated 1,272,096.  If you look at previous Senate elections, that's kind of in the low middle with on-cycle contests - Shelby '98 is probably closest.  Anyway, it was a very high turnout for an off-cycle election, and Jones still won.  Eat that pessimists.  

Doug Jones’s stunning victory could be the beginning of the end of tax reform
+ Doug Jones and - Susan Collins = real trouble for the GOP’s big tax overhaul.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/12/16761514/doug-jones-win-tax-reform

It looks like the plan is to pass it Monday. This bill may be a huge mess though. I certainly hope that in their haste they don't do something that harms a lot of Americans. (As opposed to the purposeful harm they are already inflicting on Americans with the bill)

Republicans are going to pass a tax bill.  Moore's loss can pretty easily be pinned on Moore being a horrendous candidate.  There's no indication that this vote was a referendum on Republican tax policy.  They may need to tweak things a bit to get everyone on board, but I'm sure that they'll get it done.

Archived