US Politics: the Moore things change...

Kalbear

4 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Doug Jones’s stunning victory could be the beginning of the end of tax reform
+ Doug Jones and - Susan Collins = real trouble for the GOP’s big tax overhaul.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/12/16761514/doug-jones-win-tax-reform

I've always been copacetic with Dylan Scott.  That's not sarcasm.  I think it should be emphasized as much as possible - Donald Trump LOST today.  He essentially became Moore's campaign replacement outside of state lines, and Trump LOST.  Did I mention Trump LOST?

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Unexpected (and likely written by a staffer instead of him). But maybe signals to state GOPers to let it go.

Yeah, Trump taking the high road is unexpected, to say the least.  We'll see how long that lasts though.  If he sees or hears people blaming him in part for the loss or calling him out for supporting a loser, he's not going to be able to control himself.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Unexpected (and likely written by a staffer instead of him). But maybe signals to state GOPers to let it go.

100% staffer. We will see what happens in morning when Trump gets his daily dose of Fox and Friends.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Black voters are Dems. They saved their own ass.

They almost consistently vote for their own interests, which also happen to be the interests of a huge majority of the country.  They save our asses even when it's saving their own.  Furthermore, they do it in the face of systemic voter suppression.  I'm definitely grateful for every single black voter who was able to make it to the polls.

1 minute ago, GrimTuesday said:

Not really. He is clearly blaming it on the write-ins and trying to delegitimize Jones' victory. 

You're right. But that's standard operating procedures we'd expect from garden variety GOP. The distinct lack of tantrum, petty name calling, and vitriol make it clear that this is a staffer, not Trump himself. 

2 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I've always been copacetic with Dylan Scott.  That's not sarcasm.  I think it should be emphasized as much as possible - Donald Trump LOST today.  He essentially became Moore's campaign replacement outside of state lines, and Trump LOST.  Did I mention Trump LOST?

So, how long until the calls for vote suppression? 

Trump LOST. And in Alabama of all places. It was an important site for Trump in the campaign. What a loser.

Just now, TerraPrime said:

You're right. But that's standard operating procedures we'd expect from garden variety GOP. The distinct lack of tantrum, petty name calling, and vitriol make it clear that this is a staffer, not Trump himself. 

The only thing in favor of maybe him being involved (though likely only dictating it), is the memory of his Iowa caucus concession speech. Where he also gave a short, normal, relatively gracious speech thanking the voters and saying he was looking forward to New Hampshire. And that was on video, it was him.

Of course, the then undercut that by spending the next several weeks talking about how the caucuses were rigged. But in the moment there, for whatever reason, he acted normal.

Right after the heavily Republican northern Alabama vote came in, giving Moore the big lead, the CNN panel starting talking about what a Moore win would mean for Bannon's power (all the while they were also saying hang in there, lots of votes still to roll in), how he would rule the roost with Trump once again, how McConnell would be crushed, how the candidate picked by Bannon would mean more candidates to be picked by Bannon next year.

And then once CNN called for Jones, Rick Santorum, when others said Trump will wear this, said, I kid you not, that Trump only stepped in to help out an obviously doomed campaign.

So, many of y'all agreed, right? The Moore campaign was a doomed campaign, right? Lol!

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

So, many of y'all agreed, right? The Moore campaign was a doomed campaign, right? Lol!

Oh yeah, totally doomed.  I was saying it was doomed from before it even became doomed.  The day Moore announced his candidacy I said it was doomed.  :rofl:

4 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Oh yeah, totally doomed.  I was saying it was doomed from before it even became doomed.  The day Moore announced his candidacy I said it was doomed.  :rofl:

IIRC you said something was doomed.    :idea:

A resounding defeat for the democrat leadership (fez approved) strategy of deliberately losing thousands of elections because winning them might take effort. Lets keep up this tactic of playing to win for the thousands of elections next year.

:D;)

so glad to be wrong that Moore didn't pull out a win. 

100% of precincts now reporting in. Jones' margin has jumped to 1.5% (over 21,000 votes), while write-ins accounted for 1.7% of votes.

Moore was just talking about a recount, but he was citing the 0.5% automatic recount, which clearly isn't happening. I imagine he can pay for a recount himself (most states allow that), but wonder if he has the money for that.

13 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

That's a consistent push.  It has been well before Trump, and many states got away with it even during the Obama era.  Point is, even in spite of it, Trump is a loser.  In +28 Alabama.  He should get used to it.

18 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Trump LOST. And in Alabama of all places. It was an important site for Trump in the campaign. What a loser.

Alabama has one of the strictest voter ID law in the country and they’ve made it hell on people to vote through a myriad of tactics. It might get worse elsewhere but it can be overcome as we saw tonight.

Archived