US Politics: the Moore things change...

Kalbear

On 12/13/2017 at 7:13 AM, Martell Spy said:

Roy Moore’s Brother Says Doug Jones Will Pay for What He’s Done in the Afterlife

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2017/12/roy-moore-brother-doug-jones-will-be-punished-in-afterlife.html

Conservatives: Just when you think that have reached the limit of knuckleheadism, they surprise you by even by becoming even bigger knuckleheads.

Anyway, surprised, but glad Jones won.

I have never been so elated about being wrong.  Going into this election, I felt very confident that it would be very close, and that Moore would win.  Becuase there just aren't many swing voters in Alabama.  But Jones ran the table, low turnout in rural Trump country and high turnout amongst both African Americans and suburban/college educated whites. 

Delighted.  I also love how disorganized the White House response is, it's obvious they weren't prepared for this possibility.  Trump first congratulates Jones and blames 3rd party voters.  Then he blames Moore and says "this is why I supported Strange", as if everyone forgot how quickly he threw Strange under the bus with his "I may have endorsed the wrong guy". 

Flake/Corker now have complete veto power over any Senate bill.  Likewise McCain/Flake, McCain/Graham, Collins/Murkowski, etc.  Mitch McConnell may have avoided the Roy Moore headache, but he has a load of other problems waiting for him once Jones takes office. 

23 minutes ago, Fez said:

Compared to some states that map really doesn't look that bad. Also, he won the state by 1.5%, he lost the 5th CD by 0.3%, the 3rd by 2.9%, the 1st by 3.8%, and the 6th by 4.6%. Considering geographic variance, that seems pretty reasonable to me.

I guess. Just bothers me that one party in a State can win 50% of the vote yet only be represented by 1/7th of Congressional delegation (14%). It's not very representative. 

I was on the Upshot site yesterday, and it was fun to watch the needle oscillate back and forth until at some point it jumped to a 4.7 lead for Jones. That was when Nate Cohn mentioned on twitter that they were observing lower than expected GoP turnout from three counties; hence the model swinging so far to the left (even though actual votes had Moore up by 50000 at that point). I felt pretty confident then (probably around 9 PM EST), and although it came down to a more reasonable 1.5 lead in the end, it was truly thrilling watching it all unfold.

Well this is interesting. Looks like all is not well in cuckoo land

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/after-alabama-republicans-pin-blame-steve-bannon

Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.), who occasionally has colorful things to say about the Republican Party’s direction, shared a notable thought this morning. “After Alabama disaster GOP must do right thing and DUMP Steve Bannon,” King wrote. “His act is tired, inane and morally vacuous. If we are to Make America Great Again for all Americans, Bannon must go! And go NOW!!”

More good news. Social Security funding is solved, thanks to the Republican Party’s supply side growth policies, based of course on Say’s Law.

And if there is one thing we know, the Republican Party never, ever, talks trash about it’s own growth promoting abilities. If it says growth is going to be 3.0 %, you can take that to the bank.

It’s The Party Of Business after all.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/12/social-security-will-be-solvent-for-the-rest-of-the-century/

While we wait for results from Alabama, I have some good news to share. I was browsing through the 2017 Social Security Trustees report, and it turns out that Social Security will be solvent through the rest of the century. Here’s their chart of how things look based on different estimates of economic growth:

9 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Is Charles Barkley now the moral chaplain of America?

Well, at least Alabama isn’t turrible for a day.

What a great outcome. The reddest state elected a Democrat. The Democrats also get a buffer seat for 2018, which could still be rough in the Senate (calling a House wave though). WF will eat a bra. And don’t forget, you lost your title bet Jace.

6 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Well this is interesting. Looks like all is not well in cuckoo land

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/after-alabama-republicans-pin-blame-steve-bannon

Peter King has never been cuckoo. He's a racist, Long Island establishment guy, who definitely collaborated with the IRA back in the '80s.

Last congress (Jan. 2015-Jan. 2017) he was ranked the most bipartisan member of congress by a pretty substantial margin; meaning he was the most likely to crossover on votes. http://www.thelugarcenter.org/assets/htmldocuments/The Lugar Center - McCourt School Bipartisan Index 114th Congress House Scores.pdf

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

A thought occurred to me today, in the wake of last night’s election, Franken et al.

1) Dems are very concerned with their politicians accused of sexual misconduct.

2) Reps are not.

3) Rep strategists are seeing 1 and 2.

So...how long before the GOP weaponizes sexual misconduct accusations?

As has been mentioned, this is already in the works. Mike Cernovich of Pizzagate fame, (who's also a MRA who says things like "You're not a true player unless you have at least a rape allegation or two", "Date rape doesn't exist because it's impossible to rape a woman without using force", and "Today we have a moment of silence for Trayvon Martin's rape victims. Kidding! Because he got shot before he could rape anyone")  tried to get a liberal contributor from MSNBC fired for a tweet that skewered Roman Polanski supporters, and as mentioned there was a ginned up complaint against Chuck Schumer, where the person doing the accusing almost immediately recanted. Not to mention Project Veritas' attempt to sucker the Washington Post.

The weaponization is already there. Hopefully it gets caught every time and results in the unscrupulous GOP and alt-Nazi scumbags being exposed for what they really are without harming the millions of people who desperately need MeToo and the efforts to remove predators from positions of power.

Peter King has never been cuckoo. He's a racist, Long Island establishment guy, who definitely collaborated with the IRA back in the '80s.

Sometimes it's hard not to mix up Peter King and Steve King, who is as much of a cuckoo as you can find.

9 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I am the egg man

I am the WALRUS! Goo goo goo joob goo goo fucking joob!!

Now bring on some chocolate bra eating and PQJ's new custom title!

Don’t let her off easy. She already dodged one a few months ago on a technicality.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Last congress (Jan. 2015-Jan. 2017) he was ranked the most bipartisan member of congress by a pretty substantial margin; meaning he was the most likely to crossover on votes. http://www.thelugarcenter.org/assets/htmldocuments/The Lugar Center - McCourt School Bipartisan Index 114th Congress House Scores.pdf

He is a loyal Trumpster, grounds for cuckoo induction right there.

On 12/13/2017 at 10:09 AM, Morpheus said:

Peter King is not a credible source for a meaningful, morally sound analysis of the Republican party. He was a dumbfuck even before he entirely sold his soul to the Cheeto. Bannon is Trump is Moore, one and the same.

Of course he isn't. He's a clown like the rest of them. But, anyway, might as well grab the popcorn and watch as these two buffoons go at it.

And while were at it, I don't consider David French all that credible. Of course, what we've got here is conservatives trying to point the finger at someone else, when they should take a hard look at themselves. I mean if Trump completely flames out, I won't be surprised if conservatives try to change their tune and be like "uh, well, I never liked the guy. And anyway he wasn't a true conservative".

23 hours ago, Fez said:

Well okay, but I think Peter King has been on biggest terrorist fear mongers around. And plus as you say he's racist. That makes him cuckoo in my book. But, maybe he is just a plain old buffoon.

Tom Perez got about a million in funding to support Jones. The DNC used that entirely on gotv campaigns for African Americans and younger voters. 

The NAACP spent a ton of time and money on calling all registered AA voters, organized drive pools to polling places, and organized registration drives. 

This DNC chair might get it. Don't try winning republicans. Go negative on their candidates, and then gotv as much as you can with AA populations (especially black women, who showed up well beyond the norm and voted 98% for Jones) and youth. 

So thinking about the parallels between this election and Scott Brown's election in MA (which is sort of Alabama in reverse, and Coakley was a bad-ish gaffe prone candidate), it did presage a GoP wave in 2010. So hopefully that will hold out in 2018 and it can be a wave year for the Democrats. On the flip side, Republicans became overconfident about 2012 and I think a lot of them believed they could get back the Presidency. I just hope the same doesnt happen in 2020 in relation to Trump (he is much more underwater than Obama 2012 though, the latter was hovering at about 48% approval and a lot of folks thought that itself was bad news for the upcoming election)

12 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

So thinking about the parallels between this election and Scott Brown's election in MA (which is sort of Alabama in reverse, and Coakley was a bad-ish gaffe prone candidate), it did presage a GoP wave in 2010. So hopefully that will hold out in 2018 and it can be a wave year for the Democrats. On the flip side, Republicans became overconfident about 2012 and I think a lot of them believed they could get back the Presidency. I just hope the same doesnt happen in 2020 in relation to Trump (he is much more underwater than Obama 2012 though, the latter was hovering at about 48% approval and a lot of folks thought that itself was bad news for the upcoming election)

There are indeed lots of similarities between Brown winning MA and Jones winning AL.  Coakley wasn't as bad a candidate as Moore, she was a more generically bad candidate (as in, poor campaigner, gaffe prone, lacks charisma), rather than Moore, who had all those things, plus extreme views (even by Alabama standards) and pedophilia problems.  However, Republicans do win in MA some of the time, as their current governor would attest.  I would say that a generic Republican is about +25-30 in Alabama, whereas a Democrat is only +15-20 in Massachusetts.  So this was a unique combination of a terrible political environment for Republicans and an astonishingly bad candidate in Moore combine to give Jones a win in an almost unwinnable race. 

In both 2010 and 2017 cases it showed that the political climate has changed significantly in the year since the President took office.  In both cases the party wasn't really ready to adjust to the new reality.  We'll see if Republicans adjust their approach any, or if they continue full speed ahead on Trump's "always pander to our base, never compromise" plan. 

Saw this on another board and felt I had to share.

I want to take a second to appreciate someone whose tireless influence in helping Democrats has too often gone unrecognized. Someone who has helped galvanize political activity in this country, which will hopefully have the same effect it is currently having for years to come. The master strategist who is the only person that could have allowed a Democrat to win a statewide race in Alabama.

Thank you, Steve Bannon. I know your war on the Republican party is far from over, and despite how difficult it will be, I hope you persevere and continue on undaunted. I also hope it meets just as much success elsewhere as it did in Alabama.

Archived