US Politics: the Moore things change...

Kalbear

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Honestly, that’s a great answer. It’s certainly easier than, like, getting the fucking Electoral College out on it’s ass where it ought to be. 

That can be part of it too (at a statewide level), but I think you'd get near universal acclaim for pushing vote-by-mail systems that work, removal of gerrymandering via MMR systems and the like, and easier registration. Progressives across the board should want this, and it specifically addresses a major issue for minorities - voter suppression. Having this be a federal-level issue makes it far harder for states to do bullshit. 

I mean, Washington state was upset recently because of their 2017 election which didn't have any major ballot items and only had a mayoral candidate and a couple other seats for election - and they were upset because they ONLY got 37% turnout, which was super small. For most states that is an incredibly good number in a congressional year, much less some random year.

Judge Lynn Leibovitz labeled photojournalist Alexei Wood a "principal aider and abetter" in alleged conspiracy to riot bc his livestream "played a role...to advertise, broadcast...to recruit" and keep people "informed of the events".

That's totally not a dangerous, watch as zero journalists will be accused of aiding and abetting Heather Heyer’s murderer for their advertising Richard Spencer as the dapper and cool kind of nazi with a different opinion.

DC Superior Court judge has endorsed US Attorney's attempt to criminalize acts of speech made by journalists reporting on street protests.

She dropped the felony inciting a riot charge, but Judge Lynn Leibovitz just gave a clear stamp of approval to US Attorney's attempt to convict protesters, medics, and journalists for wearing black and not leaving a protest where no dispersal order was ever given.

1 hour ago, OldGimletEye said:

*I never read the original Frankstein, as I was too lazy. But, my understanding was the original Frankenstein monster was more human than some of the monsters conservatives helped to create.

Yep. Dr Frankenstein is the monster, not his creation. The creation only goes out for revenge after serious provocation. Also, Frankenstein makes his creation from scratch after studying body parts to see how they work; he doesn't sew together parts from different bodies and bring them back to life, which would be pretty pointless (if you can resurrect the dead, why not just bring back a single intact body?)

Well, looks like we get to keep our Internet in Washington. Sucks to be the rest of the states under Trump and the evil cable gods though.

Inslee Promises State Action on Net Neutrality Protections
Washington Gov. Jay Inslee says he and other state leaders will take steps to protect consumers regardless of the outcome of a net neutrality vote.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/washington/articles/2017-12-13/inslee-promises-state-action-on-net-neutrality-protections

The Roy Moore Debacle Should Shock the GOP Into Changing Its Ways
It won’t.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/12/the_roy_moore_debacle_should_shock_the_gop_into_changing_its_ways.html

The GOP Is About to Tumble Into Full-scale Panic

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/12/frank-rich-the-gop-is-about-to-tumble-into-full-scale-panic.html

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

It is just that I would feel a lot safer if Democrats held at least one chamber of Congress.  Then we could at least get investigations into Trump's many wrongdoings, and we wouldn't have to worry about this terrible "no Democrats allowed" legislation. 

Jones winning makes taking the Senate a lot more possible.  It's still a long shot, but prior to this I thought it was a pipe dream really.  Even still, defending all of those Senate seats (particularly MT, ND, FL*, IN, MO and WV) and picking up at least two of TN, AZ and NV is going to be really hard.  But at least now the Democrats only have to go 8/9 amongst the states I named, rather than 9/9. 

* I'm really hoping this result convinces FL Gov. Rick Scott (R) to wait for a better opportunity rather than challenge Sen. Nelson.  Although I don't really know what that would be.  He's term limited for governor.  I doubt he wants to run against Rubio, and that seat isn't up for grabs until 2022 anyway.  I also don't see him challenging Trump for the Presidency.  So running against Nelson seems like the logical choice.  Scott is a formidable politician, which is why I'm hoping he doesn't run.  Losing that Senate seat would be a disaster for Democrats. 

I hear you. I’m sure this might mean new possibilities from a tactical sense. But what i’m feeling is that the GOP ran a guy widely accused of sexual abuse to minors, a truther who is borderline pro-slavery, whose wife on-record refuted allegations of racism because “one of our lawyers is a Jew”, whose campaign decided to 1) basically pull him from public appearances in the final weeks of the campaign 2) decided to have a 12 year old girl do his last major interview (!) and who had experienced a very public period of exile from his own party, including the state’s other R guy saying he couldn’t vote for him. 

And it was very, very close, requiring extreme AA turnout and very low white turnout to even make that so. That depresses the fuck outta me. 

Edit: the GOP is a terrible party that increasingly stands for horrible things, but I don’t think we can count on their running out too many Judge Roy Moore’s to nip at the post.

Citing the CPJ report, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) criticized President Donald Trump for his near-daily assaults on the free press and his efforts to label legitimate news organizations as “fake news.” McCain said Trump “must understand his harmful rhetoric only empowers repressive regimes to jail reporters & silence the truth. ”

Report: 21 Journalists Imprisoned Worldwide for ‘False News’

https://www.thedailybeast.com/report-21-journalists-imprisoned-worldwide-for-false-news

'We Are in a Trump-Driven Worst-Case Situation Right Now'
The president is the common thread between the recent Republican losses in Alabama, New Jersey, and Virginia.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/12/we-are-in-a-trump-driven-worst-case-situation-right-now/548288/

8 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I hear you. I’m sure this might mean new possibilities from a tactical sense. But what i’m feeling is that the GOP ran a guy widely accused of sexual abuse to minors, a truther who is borderline pro-slavery, whose wife on-record refuted allegations of racism because “one of our lawyers is a Jew”, whose campaign decided to 1) basically pull him from public appearances in the final weeks of the campaign 2) decided to have a 12 year old girl do his last major interview (!) and who had experienced a very public period of exile from his own party, including the state’s other R guy saying he couldn’t vote for him. 

And it was very, very close, requiring extreme AA turnout and very low white turnout to even make that so. That depresses the fuck outta me. 

I hear you, but with all the shit the GOP in office have pulled or have tried to pull, that the voters finally are able to draw a line and say no further is something to build on.

Whether we can begin to push back or even stop them from crossing the line another place, another time, remains to be seen. A candidate like Moore losing should have been a given but it being Alabama and in the current political climate, the symbolism of the victory and the possible potential it shows take on more meaning and can be what's worth being heartened over more than the particulars of the race.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

There's one that is universally hated and is causing massive problems: voter reform.

Fix gerrymandering. Fix voter registration. Fix primaries vs. caucuses. These affect everyone, but they ESPECIALLY are problematic for minorities. They speak directly to unfairness in elections, unfairness in general, and weird issues that everyone hates.

Yup.  All those things desperately need fixing and no one in DC wants them fixed.  

McCain hospitalized due to effects of his cancer treatment.

It doesn't appear serious at the moment, and Cornyn is saying he expects McCain back soon, but apparently McCain missed some votes during the week and this is an extremely aggressive cancer, so it's difficult to say how hard it will hit  at a given time, or when it will start take a greater toll on his health.

Despite my multitude of disagreements with the man, as a politics watcher for 20+ years, it's still a little sad to see him in a bad way. He's been one of the few constants along the way. Plus I hate cancer in general, as it has cut a swath through my family and friends. Give it hell, senator.

Five different polls from Monmouth, Quinnipiac, Reuters/Ipsos, Economist/YouGoc and Marist  released over the last two days have Democrats up on average 11.2% for generic Democratic candidate in 2018. That's pretty encouraging, even if these types of polls can be misleading because people always like their own MoC more than other MoCs.

21 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

I hear you, but with all the shit the GOP in office have pulled or have tried to pull, that the voters finally are able to draw a line and say no further is something to build on.

Whether we can begin to push back or even stop them from crossing the line another place, another time, remains to be seen. A candidate like Moore losing should have been a given but it being Alabama and in the current political climate, the symbolism of the victory and the possible potential it shows take on more meaning and can be what's worth being heartened over more than the particulars of the race.

True, and down in the dumps as I am, it’s an undisputed fact that however depressing this is, it’d have been a lot more so watching Moore win. 

15 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yup.  All those things desperately need fixing and no one in DC wants them fixed.  

Democrats do to varying degrees. Republicans for the most part want to make those problems worse for their own electoral gains. This is absolutely a case where the parties want very different outcomes. 

I hate this cancer I hope McCain has his final battles with it largely free from pain, whether he's in a hospital or home hospice bed. My grandfather got a lot of morphine (or equivalent I wasn't there) at the end which im still greatful for.

With his latest tweet, clearly implying that a United States senator would trade sexual favors for campaign cash, President Trump has shown he is not fit for office. Rock bottom is no impediment for a president who can always find room for a new low.

Will Trump's lows ever hit rock bottom?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/12/12/trump-lows-ever-hit-rock-bottom-editorials-debates/945947001/

37 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

It doesn't appear serious at the moment, and Cornyn is saying he expects McCain back soon, but apparently McCain missed some votes during the week and this is an extremely aggressive cancer, so it's difficult to say how hard it will hit  at a given time, or when it will start take a greater toll on his health.

Despite my multitude of disagreements with the man, as a politics watcher for 20+ years, it's still a little sad to see him in a bad way. He's been one of the few constants along the way. Plus I hate cancer in general, as it has cut a swath through my family and friends. Give it hell, senator.

Fuck him and fuck giving him any support. He couldn't die in a more fitting way. He has no issue fucking over millions of people that will die of cancer and other diseases and also had no issue telling someone that died of the same cancer he has, to move to another state to seek treatment. 

45 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Democrats do to varying degrees. Republicans for the most part want to make those problems worse for their own electoral gains. This is absolutely a case where the parties want very different outcomes. 

Have any actually proposed legislation to make these changes?

8 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

Fuck him and fuck giving him any support. He couldn't die in a more fitting way. He has no issue fucking over millions of people that will die of cancer and other diseases and also had no issue telling someone that died of the same cancer he has, to move to another state to seek treatment. 

Just because you judge someone not to have compassion is no reason for you to not have any. 

1 hour ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Hard to feel sympathy for a guy getting deluxe health care on our dime who has voted to take away health care from millions. Fuck him. No compassion for the fake maverick. Thousands of better people than him die of cancer every year.

Archived